What's new

I Compare 14 Different Bay Rums

Great review! I've only tried about half of those listed, but always looking for another. When I find a new artisan/small producer option I'm usually anxious to acquire and try it out and that ultimately leads me to want to start experimenting again to try and create a unique BR option. To that end, given that you are located in Boise, you might want to check out the small batch that Dave the Barber put together over at 10th Street Hair. Rum base with lots of botanicals and pimenta racemosa harvested from Edwards Greenhouse rather than from imported EO. I bought a bottle a while back and have been throwing it into the mix about once a week. It's a little sweet up front with an immediate spice kick and then fades fast. BTW, glad to see another Boisean on here.

Cheers,
JW

Dave is pretty good, but I'm still kind of looking for the perfect fit. Used to go to Trev at Traditions Barber Shop, but have been in search mode since he closed up. Last cut was at Red Betty on 28th. Pretty happy with my cut there and she has a nice selection of pomades etc. Any suggestions in regards to shops to try? Sorry for taking the thread off topic a bit.

Cheers,
JW

Nice write up. I am of a different opinion re Superior, but it may be I'm Puerto Rican and its a scent of nostalgia. My recomendation for anyone on a hot night w/out air conditioning is to find a bottle of the Superior 70 Mentholated, and use this after a Proraso green shave. I've done this at night before bed and it was beyond description.
Cheers

Hi BrookR1 - from one bay rum freak to another... Great review!!!
My favorite bay rum of all time is Burt's Bees Bay Rum Balm.
Unfortunately, it's been discontinued and there are several B&B posts lamenting the end of the best bay rum ever made.
Luckily, I happen to have a NOS bottle on hand and I would be very interested in your impressions.
If you would like to try some, I will be happy to mail you a 1/2 oz sample.
Just PM me your address and I'll mail if off to you but, you must promise to post your thoughts.

Hi BrookR1 - from one bay rum freak to another... Great review!!!
My favorite bay rum of all time is Burt's Bees Bay Rum Balm.
Unfortunately, it's been discontinued and there are several B&B posts lamenting the end of the best bay rum ever made.
Luckily, I happen to have a NOS bottle on hand and I would be very interested in your impressions.
If you would like to try some, I will be happy to mail you a 1/2 oz sample.
Just PM me your address and I'll mail if off to you but, you must promise to post your thoughts.
I second the Burt Bee's balm. I have one small travel bottle, aluminum, left. Shame!

Has anyone tried the Royall version of Bay Rhum?
EDIT: Here is another great Bay Rhum compendium!
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/123922-Massive-Bay-Rum-review-20-sampled
And here is a website my sister just gave me! http://bayrumdiaries.com/. She found it looking for a new bay rum for her husband. Reviews of many bay rums and other great shaving products. Is this guy a member here? I apologize and will edit my post if this is a huge threadjack! BTW, I just splashed some Superior 70 on a poison ivy like rash I got from trimming a mango tree a week ago, and it is super soothing! Calmed the itch right down!

Last edited:
Marvelous review. Ogalala Bay Rum With Lime and Peppercorn has been a mainstay scent for me for years. So Many Bay Rums, so little time! Enjoy! :bayrum2::bayrum2:

Thanks for your efforts on this comprehensive review of Bay Rums. As a fan of Bay Rum I find the wide variety of available product is also an indication of the wide variety of scents in this category. To me the best is Dominica w/Lime and Superior 70.

I loved the review. I have Ogallala and VIBR. They both burn but differently. VIBR is a firey alcohol burn followed by a secondary burn which is more warming of the skin than alcohol on my face. The Ogallala is not so firey when it goes on but develops a burn like you would expect a bay rum to do. Its a slow building burn, but not an alcohol fire. Great review. I don't feel the need to go try the others as i think i have what i am looking for. Now i need to get rid of this VIBR LOL.

Great review and well written. My favorite Bay Rum which I was dissapointed not to see make the list (however I know you can't list and try every Bay Rum!) is Krampert's. Really, you should give it a shot if you love Bay Rum. I find the scent, skin care and moisturizing properties to be excellent. Captains Choice also bears a worthy mention though you have it represented with the Cat O' Nine tails variant. Not a huge fan of the burn myself, but Captains Choice makes a great product too.

Last edited:
Excellent review and write up. I usually use Ogallala Bay Rum and find the results similar to your experience.

Top Bottom