What's new

Why do YOU use a fountain pen?

ok so I do not have a fountain pen, but considering getting one due to i've always had a pen "fetish" and like a smooth writing pen, but thought that a fountain pen took an artist's touch to make it write well.
I'm thinking about getting one and was wondering why would someone use a fountain pen. For instance what draws you to use such a pen.

Because brianw and Nemo are cool.

That and my handwriting is light years more legible when I write with a FP.

+1

and less hand cramping/carpal tunnel issues

I enjoy slowing down and thinking as I write rather than a hurried email

Something tangible for the recipient to have

probably also for the same reason I use a straight razor or DE and shave soap...I like it.

Better ink and ink color selection, better handwriting, a passion to write with better penmanship, and more stylish pens. I also want my young daughters to learn some of the older ways and pass them along.

Partly it's the writing experience. A good fountain pen is a much smoother writer than any ballpoint, and the different types of nibs can let you get effects you wouldn't get with a rollerball, principally based on line variation. The inks tend to look better on paper, even if you stay with ordinary blues and blacks; they have a much richer look to them, although this varies with the pen and nib.

It's partly because they are more technically interesting to me. Not that ballpoints aren't a wonderful invention in their own way, they are. Fountain pens, though, just seem to have more of interest going on: a variety of filling systems, different nib shapes and materials, the possibility in some cases of tweaking your own pens to get them working exactly the way you want them to.

Partly it's the hobbyist/collector angle. I love using my early 1920s Conklin Crescent filler, or the 1930s through 50s Esterbrooks, many of which I restored myself. I like to contemplate the variety that I have sitting around, more Conklins, Parkers, Sheaffers, Eversharps. It's not just vintage pens either, there is a lot of interest in present day models as well.

Because I can......

And Beginish, Mr. Scruffy, Jakes Poppy, Isaac, Nemo, Jim, etc...... told me I had to

Just think of all the money you'll save refilling your pen instead of buying a new one when it's empty! It saves money, just like wetshaving saves money.:biggrin1:

Actually, like others said, I like the ink selection. And if you can't find the color you want, you can mix your own.

Partly it's the writing experience. A good fountain pen is a much smoother writer than any ballpoint, and the different types of nibs can let you get effects you wouldn't get with a rollerball, principally based on line variation. The inks tend to look better on paper, even if you stay with ordinary blues and blacks; they have a much richer look to them, although this varies with the pen and nib.

It's partly because they are more technically interesting to me. Not that ballpoints aren't a wonderful invention in their own way, they are. Fountain pens, though, just seem to have more of interest going on: a variety of filling systems, different nib shapes and materials, the possibility in some cases of tweaking your own pens to get them working exactly the way you want them to.

Partly it's the hobbyist/collector angle. I love using my early 1920s Conklin Crescent filler, or the 1930s through 50s Esterbrooks, many of which I restored myself. I like to contemplate the variety that I have sitting around, more Conklins, Parkers, Sheaffers, Eversharps. It's not just vintage pens either, there is a lot of interest in present day models as well.

+100. I could not have said it better myself. So I'm not going to try. :)

Cheers,

M.

Better ink and ink color selection, better handwriting, a passion to write with better penmanship, and more stylish pens. I also want my young daughters to learn some of the older ways and pass them along.

Bingo. Same reason I like guitars with jumbo frets, and even scalloped fretboards.
It forces me to play (and write) with a lighter touch, which improves my pathetic playing (and penmanship).

Because ballpoints are evil! There's just something about pulling a 1946 Parker 51 out, uncapping it, and using it several times a day that helps make me feel like all is right with the world. Guess it's the old-soul geek in me!

Simply because it is cool and demands attention from on lookers and I am old enough to remember when they taught cursive in school

I use it to write.

Seriously, I have used a FP for most of my life (apart from a few years in college). Ballpoint pens don't glide over the paper, requiring much more effort to write.

A bonus of PF's of course is the opportunity to use different ink colors, but I only discovered that when I switched from cartridges to bottled ink.

Last edited:
I used one toward the end of High School and then in University.
It just stuck with me as the best and most fun way to write.
As a bonus, I find it forces me to slow down. I write a little better when I slow down.

I used one toward the end of High School and then in University.
It just stuck with me as the best and most fun way to write.
As a bonus, I find it forces me to slow down. I write a little better when I slow down.

We all had to write with a fountain pen in primary school. For some reason, I switched in college. But in university, ballpoint writing got too tiring, so I switched back to fountain pens.

I always had an interest in pens and no matter what pens I used over the years nothing really "popped". I stumbled one day into this forum and found a whole new world of pens, paper and writing. I had no clue that good fountain pens could be as cheap as some of them are. Not to mention ink colours once I seen all the colours and brands my brain nearly 'sploded.

I also like the looks and questions I get when someone sees me writing with my Safari. There is a bit of a cool factor for me as well. I really think using a fountain pen is cool. I already see my penmanship improving and I enjoy writing. I plan on writing letters especially for x-mas and birthdays in the future once my handwriting improves more. I think it would be nice to send people a personalized hand written letter, oh wait I will need a stamp and wax too, it really is an endless cycle. Only problem for me is waiting months to save enough money for my next purchases. Which will hopefully be soon, but what to get?

I have odd handwriting. The various nibs just make it even more fun, let alone the variety of pens they're attached too. As with wet shaving, there's something about the fp's simplicity that is very appealing. Getting better results with simpler tools is kinda neat.

They look cool, they're fun to write with, there's an endless variety of pens, both modern and vintage, another endless variety of inks, papers, accessories, you can do a lot of the repairs & maintenance yourself, and they satisfy my collector instinct! :thumbup1:

I actually started using a fountain pen, about 17 years ago as a way to be different at work. Then when I found B&B I really got into more pens!

Tom

Top Bottom