What's new

Any McIvor Brush Owners?

Does anyone know anything about Don McIvor's shaving brushes? They are some of the most beautiful brushes I have ever seen. The matching wooden bowls are just as impressive. I don't mind the prices but I don't like going into something without any reviews.

I think I recall someone talking about one of these a while ago. The overall impression was favorable.

How do the woods stand up to constant water exposure? On the other hand, what beautiful brushes and bowls!

I purchased a set from Don this summer and I must say that I am very happy with my set, as is everyone who has visited me and complemented me on my set. :smile: Don also kept my updated on the progress of my set, and as soon as they came off the lathe he emailed me some pics of his work to make sure I approved.

I sent some requests and dimensions to Mr. Mcivor and he was quite willing and eager to work with me. I got myself a brush and bowl made of red maple. The handle was a little longer than I was used to, but after a couple of shaves I got used to it.

The knot retains an immense amount of water (more so than I expected), and I have never had any problems retaining lather for my 3 pass shaves. The brush is not scrubby whatsoever, but I wouldn't call it floppy either, more of a happy medium. The brush has maybe shed a total of 3 hairs since I've been using it.

I don't use the bowl for whipping up creams anymore, because I don't like floating bowls, but I do keep a cake of soap in it when I feel like using some soap.

Don applies 7-9 coats of tung oil before he ships the product out, and I also purchased a small bottle of the oil from him for regular up keep of my set. I apply a coat roughly every 3 weeks, which is when the handle near the knot starts to appear dry. Every time I apply a coat it seems that the handle doesn't dry out as quickly either.

Don is a great artisan to work with, and his work is very beautiful. If you want a custom set I would most definitely recommend going with him.

I'll attach an image from my last SOTD post.

I hope this helps!

Top Bottom