What's new

Anyone else throw blades away after one use.

the moment it stops working for me, it gets tossed.

sometimes this is after 3 shaves, 2 passes or even 1/2 thru a pass.

for 10-25 scents, I'm not going to try and make a blade work on my face.

I've had blades go south on me after 2 shaves. I've also used a blade for more than 100 shaves with no problems.

It is all relative and there is no way to tell in advance how long a blade will last, only when it misbehaves will you know when it is time for it to go

It is all relative and there is no way to tell in advance how long a blade will last, only when it misbehaves will you know when it is time for it to go

Agreed. One day it's fine, next it sucks.

I even toss them if one side is bad and the other is ok, and it's not misaligned as it's not in a slant or anything funky. I'll usually finish the shave with the 1 side and then toss it and the next blade will be fine.

it's all part of the Wet Shaving experience I guess.

I've gotten up to 7 shaves from a Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow before it was time to toss.

Schick Chinese injector blades give me 10 on average!

However, Carbon blades and Feathers are one and done. I dont use feathers because of that, too expensive!

for me it really depends on the blade. I usually like to get 4 shaves out of a blade and I do a good job drying everything off after each shave. There have been a few times where I couldn't get a second shave out of a blade but I found that was when I left the blade wet.

I'm up to 8 shaves on a Personna (Blue) and it still feels good. I have a really soft beard; I have so far only thrown out blades because I wanted to try new ones not because I felt like they were done.

If they're Elios blades, I throw them out with no shaves on them at all. One shave is one too many with these disgraceful metallic excuses.

I use them 3-4 shaves. I noticed some blades age with grace, starting smooth and staying that way.

They might not cut the stubble as close as their first day performance but they do not cause headaches. For me Astra SP is one of them.

The longevity of feathers is why I do not use them. The first shave is good but, after that, they fall flat. Not a good blade (BLASPHEMY!!!) if you ask me especially when price is considered. Try some different blades. Bluebirds have been amazing for me. I have whiskers as thick as suspension bridge cables and the BB's last me 10+ shaves on average only getting better after the first shave. Blades are EXTREMELY subjective so experimentation is key. Astra SP's are widely considered the most versatile blade but they're absolutely terrible for me. The only time I throw away a blade after the first use is when they suck from the get go.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Anyone else throw blades away after one use.

One use? I throw mine away after each stroke. And that's just my straight razors, as I find DE blades are only good for half a stroke. But that's just me, Mr. Vegas.

I would try to find a bulk price for Feathers to lower the unit price or try to find a lower cost blade that works well for one shave.

When I shaved DE only, my Feathers performed on me OK for about 4 shaves. I now shave with a SR and use my DE with Feathers for clean up. They now last longer than 4 shaves because they are cutting fewer hairs each shave.

I would use a Feather for one shave only, if that worked best. I buy 200 blades at a time to reduce costs.

I guess I have been fortunate and have never had the need to toss a blade mid-shave or after one or two uses. For me, I can't even imagine not getting 4-5 shaves from any brand in the arsenal. But, if you are convinced that the blade is the problem then by all means do whatever works for you.

I don't do it, but seems there are more than a few who do. And some others say the second shave with a blade is the best. I agree you should do what works. But if you are new, it would be a good idea to vary a little once in a while to test your assumptions.

I count the shaves on a blade only for curiosity, not to "know" when to change it. If this would be the case at the second shave (or the first!) this would be the time to abandon it. When a blade starts to behave unmannerly (tugging, or requiring more corrections than normally) I just reach for another razor to complete the shave and toss the blade when done with everything.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Gentlemen, let's compare apple to apples. For YOU, are you doing a 1, 2, 3 or 4 pass shave? Let's assume MOST of us do at least a 3 pass and go from there. With that in mind I get ABOUT 3+ shaves with Feathers and 5 with Astra SPs. Do I get weepers? Occasionally (don't tell anybody). My chin doesn't like it if I'm not real careful ATG.

I shave unheard and face daily and find that after that initial shave, my second use isn't nearly as successful. I am going to start tossing blades after first use so you're not alone!

Top Bottom