What's new

Strange cocktails that "work"

I was just exposed to a Fireball Lemonade.

Every instinct in my body felt that it was a terrible idea. How could a cinnamon flavored whiskey pair well at all with lemonade?
Reluctantly I tried it, and woah. :eek2:
It wasn't half bad.

Anyone else try any cocktails/mixed drinks that sound awful but work?

Last edited:
Sounds yummy to me. Might try that with orange juice. We are talking American whiskey here, yes? Might stick to lemon in Irish.

15 minutes later ...
$fireball.jpg

Hmm... Adds more whiskey... Yup! 2 parts whiskey to 1 Cointreau seems better.

5 minutes later...
Yeah, that's rather vile! Down the drain. The sink drain.

Last edited:
Not technically a cocktail I suppose (probably more in the line of a "mixed drink"), but I am rather fond of bourbon and cranberry juice. Sounds disgusting but it works. For me, anyway. Your tastebuds may vary.

Another good one is a tequila screwdriver - cheap tequila, orange juice to taste, repeat multiple times, and make no plans for the rest of the evening. Or the next morning, either.

I had a drink I cant remember the portions but it was Pink Lemonade, Vodka, and Beer

We made one quite close to this one in college. A handle (1.75l) of cheap vodka, a 30 case of cheap beer and a few tubes of frozen lemonade in a 5 gallon Gatorade container. It's like Summer Shandy on steroids. We called it "Stripper Sweat"

Another wacky college cocktail that worked. Brandy and Welch's sparkling grape juice. We made it with Napoleon brandy and called it "Napoleon's Dynamite". Tasty stuff!

A more grown up strange cocktail (finally): A few ice cubes in a rocks glass, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, enough rye to just go past the ice, and a generous splash of fresh lime juice. We call it "The Silencer", because they go down so easy that after a few, you cease to hear the outside world! :biggrin1:

Sounds yummy to me. Might try that with orange juice. We are talking American whiskey here, yes? Might stick to lemon in Irish.

15 minutes later ...
View attachment 367303

Hmm... Adds more whiskey... Yup! 2 parts whiskey to 1 Cointreau seems better.

5 minutes later...
Yeah, that's rather vile! Down the drain. The sink drain.
I think you just (re)invented the sidecar.

I was in El Salvador a couple of weeks back. And I did try the specialty of the house. Lemon juice and worcestershire sauce, topped up with beer, in a salt encrusted glass.

Erm. No. Not a good plan. I had to (had to) drink three or four more beers to get rid of the taste.

*shudders at the memory*

Once made a Manhattan with dry vermouth.
It wasn't horrible... but I haven't made one since.

There is a name for that drink that escapes me. I had a business colleague that drank nothing else. I forget what I perfect Manhatten is? Half dry and half sweet vermouth?

I like them the regular way, with a mixture of different bitters.

There is a name for that drink that escapes me. I had a business colleague that drank nothing else. I forget what I perfect Manhatten is? Half dry and half sweet vermouth?

I like them the regular way, with a mixture of different bitters.

Yes. That's a perfect Manhattan. I like mine the regular way, too.

I had a drink I cant remember the portions but it was Pink Lemonade, Vodka, and Beer

We made one quite close to this one in college. A handle (1.75l) of cheap vodka, a 30 case of cheap beer and a few tubes of frozen lemonade in a 5 gallon Gatorade container. It's like Summer Shandy on steroids. We called it "Stripper Sweat"

Yup, we did this in college. Ours was called the "Hop, skip, and go naked": handle of vodka, 30 pack of beer, and a tub of powdered pink lemonade mix. After the container is done, you hop, skip, and go naked. Just try not to catch any STD's.

Cheers!

I think you just (re)invented the sidecar.

Sidecar: cognac, orange liqueur (Cointreau, Grand Marnier or another triple sec), and lemon juice.
My concoction: bourbon, Cointreau, cassia stick.

If one's a sidecar, let's call mine a Cattle Car. 'cause... it stinks!

Seriously, though... It might be workable, for certain tastes, but it's not very refined.

This reminds me of how I finished off one particular New Year's party's leftovers. I had 40 or 50 bottles in the closet, and a bartender's manual. Every night for months afterward, I'd open the manual at a random page and mix a random drink (if I had the ingredients). Most of them were one sip and down the drain, but a few were interesting.

Last edited:
More stocking up a bar than stocking for the party. At least one of every type of spirit, wine, many liquors, and bitters. Besides, it wasn't a large party, so there were lots of left overs. Most of the guys I invited didn't come thinking I wouldn't attract enough women to the party, and the women figured it would be all guys, so they all came and brought friends. The result was the women outnumbered the men two to one. Still, everyone had a good time. And I could mix nearly any drink one could ask for. For a year or more. All gone now.

Top Bottom