What's new

Snake ID

I think you're right. I kept vacillating between rat and corn snake.... He was slow to move. I'm thinking he'd had more than one anole recently!

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Black Rat Snake: This is a rather large snake that kills rats.

On TV I saw one law officer kill one with his baton.

On TV again I saw a poisonous snake from India bite and kill one.

I wish people would leave this beneficial snake alone. Let it live.

Definitely a cottonmouth aka water moccasin. Poisonous and territorial. Also normally they are with a mate so where that one is you'll find another laying around. Nasty little things. They carry a stench to them too. Best thing for them is a long range 12 gauge shell to the head.

This is as good a place as any to post my new snake. He's a hypomelanistic Boa.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453683111.104518.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453683122.322064.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453683137.454762.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453683147.876403.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453683157.510403.jpg

First, let me say, "gross."

Second, he looks like he's trying to strangle you.

Third, how come the rear part of him has bolder coloring than the forward part?

Also... yuck.

Second, he looks like he's trying to strangle you.

Nope, they are cold blooded, and I am warm, so he's coiled around me to get close and soak up some of my warmth.

Third, how come the rear part of him has bolder coloring than the forward part?

That's just the way that boas are. The species Boa Constrictor Constrictor is known as the Red-Tailed Boa for that reason. Both of my boas are a different sub-species Boa Constrictor Imperator (Colombian Boa), which are slightly shorter and don't have quite as much red in the tail.

Nope, they are cold blooded, and I am warm, so he's coiled around me to get close and soak up some of my warmth.

Ah.. So he's just taking your soul.

That's just the way that boas are. The species Boa Constrictor Constrictor is known as the Red-Tailed Boa for that reason. Both of my boas are a different sub-species Boa Constrictor Imperator (Colombian Boa), which are slightly shorter and don't have quite as much red in the tail.
Ah. Thanks for explaining.

Would you sleep better at night if I said yes?

Actually snakes are not the animal you need to worry about in that regard...
proxy.php

Hah! I'm certain that our cat's single goal in life is our demise. She's smart though, cause she knows if she off's us, she won't get any more treats.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My boa was a casual biter ... better luck with yours.

Snakes are good pets in general though. Always wanted a Florida kingsnake ... maybe some day I can pick one up!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
More like, "let's see if this thumb can be consumed like a rat."

It didn't strike, like a lightning-fast corn snake. It would just sidle up and open it's mouth on your digit.

That snake- a pink Colombian boa, much as pictured- did escape. Adios, culebra.

AA

Top Bottom