What's new

Thanks, Price!

Just a quick shout to express my gratitude for the ink samples Price so generously sent. I just got the chance to load the converter in my new (old) Phileas this weekend. The BBB is a great color and performs like a champ.

I also received samples of 5 o'clock shadow, a Noodlers brown and a red. I can't remember the exact color names because I don't have the note, which was handwritten (and well done) by the way, in front of me. Now it looks as though I have to buy 3 more FPs to load all 4 colors so I don't have to wait for this one to run out. Lol.

Thanks again, Price!

Diamine has some nice ink, and I am currently using Private Reserve Black Cherry and like the color.

In all seriousness you may want to change things up a bit, maybe hit up goulets website and try some of their sampler packs, they package by brand/colour/ favs kind of thing so getting a colour from some different brands may tell you what you like. As for me Diamine, Monteverde(Dont let the price fool you check out the quantity per bottle), lamy, Pelikan, Parker quink from staples is good stuff available locally to most people, and Sailor Jentle inks are all good... theres more out there but im sure that would get you started. If you are looking for pens the metro only seems to be had in a medium from most places so you may want to check out some other pens that you can get different sizes in for instance a Lamy safari's nibs can interchange easy enough, one pen, one converter and 2 other nibs to play with would be cool to try stuff out as well

you dont need to fill a pen completely btw, if your testing things out you better to 1/4 fill the converter or less just to get a feel so when it empties you can move on

that being said you can buy pilot 78G's off ebay for 10 bucks shipped right to your door and come in a bunch of nib sizes 40 bucks for four pens that are all different is pretty cool

Wow. Maybe I should've just minded my own business over in shave-land. :blink: :001_smile
I just checked out the Goulet site. This could be an even more expensive hobby than my guitar and drum habit. But you have given me some really valuable advice. I never would have thought about not filling the converter with samples. It makes TOTAL sense now that I've read it, though. It took FOREVER to clean the section when I first got my pen, but when I changed out the cartridge to the converter with the BBB ink, it wasn't that bad. Maybe the thing had never been cleaned/flushed? Who knows? But I digress.

I saw the Lamy Safari earlier today, so I'm glad to hear positive things about it. And the pilot 78G looks like a great idea, too. This is all fantastic information, James. You know, I have always had a hard time making birthday/Christmas wish lists for my family. Since joining B&B after the first of this year, this will no longer be a problem. Ever. With the shaving goods, cigars, and now fountain pens and ink...I am gonna be LOVING the holidays! :thumbup:

Seriously, James, thanks for the great advice.

It was a bit of info overload, but just enough to get you looking at what you like and do not. Once you think you are ready to order put some stuff together and post again, we wll let you know what your about to grab. lol we havent even discussed paper yet. there is a lot to love in the NIB for sure, but there is a lot to love at any budget as well... guitars do not come that way lol unless your guitar habit is collecting old strings from defunct high school bands id imagine we wont even come close

Just a quick shout to express my gratitude for the ink samples Price so generously sent. I just got the chance to load the converter in my new (old) Phileas this weekend. The BBB is a great color and performs like a champ.

I also received samples of 5 o'clock shadow, a Noodlers brown and a red. I can't remember the exact color names because I don't have the note, which was handwritten (and well done) by the way, in front of me. Now it looks as though I have to buy 3 more FPs to load all 4 colors so I don't have to wait for this one to run out. Lol.

Thanks again, Price!

Price is going to become an uber-mensch of two sub fora? What a guy! :thumbup:

Top Bottom