What's new

Spencerian Script Resources

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So, I am really wanting to polish up my writing, and seem to have a great deal of free time. Do you all recommend any physical books on Spencerian Script? I may want to take this to a coffee shop, and do some homework, so I dont know that I want to look at something online, and I dont currently have a printer.

Michael Sull(The guy who does all the pen shows) does books, practice sheets and a dvd if im not mistaken... if you havent picked up a dip pen yet you are probably going to need one, life is easier with an oblique holder, and copperplate may be a good place to start while you get used to the pen.... you can do it without the dip or the oblique, it just looks nicer in those

http://www.spencerian.com/images/SpencerianCatalog2012.pdf

Copperplate is harder than Spencerian IMO. Spencerian also doesn't require the oblique holder as much as Copperplate. The angle of your vertical lines isn't as steep. 'Mastering Copperplate Caligraphy' by Eleanor Winters is one of the most recommended books on that topic if and when you want to broaden your penmanship.

A super-fine flex nib is in your future be it dip or a wet noodle.

Lessons in Practical Penmanship may be a good place to start if you just want to improve your writing without going into deeper water... Not to prevent you from going into deeper water but some of the harder scripts take a lot of practice and taking pictures of putting it online so we can all comment and watch your progress. :D

I watched a video with a master scribe do copperplate no obloqie holder he just either rotates the sheet or adjusts his hand and angle, I gave up on the oblique holders myself... I can do both but they don't look very good... I need to practice more with it, copperplate I found easier because its straight forward without all the flourishing is all I have a book with that script in it already... its time to step up that side of my game now though

I need to start practicing again. One of my three jobs is ending this week but one of my others is getting busier... We shall see. I have so much ink I need to burn through it like I hate it! :D

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Thank you all for the recommendations. I just really need to work on a "nicer" script. My cursive is "ok", but I think it could be better.

Look into palmer method then Isaac, its a less fancy but nice looking script that our "common" cursive is based on

Top Bottom