What's new

If you walk in to a kosher deli and ask for a Ruben sandwich, what do you get?

No this is not a joke or a trick question. Sorry. I've always been a big fan of Reuben sandwiches. One of my all time favorite meals is a Reuben and a nice bowl of matzoh ball soup. (in fact, based on the smell wafting down the hall my wife is fixing some right now).

There are a couple of neighborhoods here in St. Louis that have a high jewish population where you can get some really good Jewish cuisine. I've always been able to get a good sandwich, but I guess these are not Kosher delis. I was just curious how a sandwich with such a prevalent, if possibly alleged jewish history came about. Of course I could be mistaken about my understanding of the Kosher rules (and probably am)

Regards,

the main rules regarding meats limits the animals you can eat, you cant eat the animals blood and you cant mix meat products with milk products, plus the salughter has to be done in a specific way, that affects the way meat is cured and cooked aswell, giving kosher meats a distinctive flavour, and not being able to use butter or lard in the making of the bread to keep it parve (in kosher you have 3 denominations, halavi - milk based, basari - meat based and parve - nither, basari and halavi cant mix, but parve can mix with both individualy), so most kosher bread is parve unless clearly stated,

give me a good ole pepper coated pastrami sandwitch with pickles and mustard, i dont think i´ve had decent pastrami here in spain,

I love the classic Reuben, but from time to time I have the deli make a version which substitutes pastrami and thousand island dressing for the corned beef and Russian dressing.

I love the classic Reuben, but from time to time I have the deli make a version which substitutes pastrami and thousand island dressing for the corned beef and Russian dressing.

If I remember correctly, Lindy's serves that in NYC and calls it the Joan Rivers.

Some people scoff but I've had decent Reubens at some chain restaurants including Perkins, Applebee's, Denny's and even Cracker Barrel. Good corned beef and quality sauerkraut are the keys to a good sandwich.

Richard

The reubens that I used to make commercially were made with Grossinger's Light Rye, sauerkraut that was packed for commercial use (Very crisp and sharp) a couple of slices of Swiss cheese, and the corned beef came from Chicago. The corned beef was not lean (and people often asked for that, sorry) it had some fat marbled in it. That is important for the taste. And the Russian dressing was made in house from scratch. All of those fresh ingredients were combined into a thick sandwich that was cooked on a double sided sandwich grill that toasted both sides at the same time.

The reubens that I used to make commercially were made with Grossinger's Light Rye, sauerkraut that was packed for commercial use (Very crisp and sharp) a couple of slices of Swiss cheese, and the corned beef came from Chicago. The corned beef was not lean (and people often asked for that, sorry) it had some fat marbled in it. That is important for the taste. And the Russian dressing was made in house from scratch. All of those fresh ingredients were combined into a thick sandwich that was cooked on a double sided sandwich grill that toasted both sides at the same time.

Man I want one of those. :w00t:

Mysterion has it exactly right. At a kosher deli you won't find ANY milk products on the menu! If you take cream in your coffee you will be have to resort to the non dairy soybean/chemical mix stuff also.

It's all worth it though. One of my clients used to be a cutter at a kosher deli and I questioned him on why you just can't get NY corned beef down here in the wilds of S. Jersey despite loads of delis....His answer was that the best corned beef has to be steamed for hours, which shrinks the meat and, therefore less product to sell. Most deli owners trade the time in the steam table for more meat to sell more quickly.

I never knew that and now can somewhat understand why the sandwichs at the Carneigie Deli go for north of $20.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The local diner here does the swiss cheese thing too on Reuben's. Not kosher for sure........but very tastey.

Tony

Hello all,
Having lived in Omaha I was always told the first reuben was sold at the Blackstone Hotel. Pastrami is smoked corned beef so it should be safe even in Montreal.
Kurt

The answer to your question is...you don't. Kosher laws forbid mixing meat and milk products.

Mysterion has it exactly right. At a kosher deli you won't find ANY milk products on the menu! If you take cream in your coffee you will be have to resort to the non dairy soybean/chemical mix stuff also.

It's all worth it though. One of my clients used to be a cutter at a kosher deli and I questioned him on why you just can't get NY corned beef down here in the wilds of S. Jersey despite loads of delis....His answer was that the best corned beef has to be steamed for hours, which shrinks the meat and, therefore less product to sell. Most deli owners trade the time in the steam table for more meat to sell more quickly.

I never knew that and now can somewhat understand why the sandwichs at the Carneigie Deli go for north of $20.

That's what I thought. So the deli's over here where I can get a good Reuben must not be Kosher Delis. I didn't realize it was possible for a Jewish deli not to be Kosher Hmmm.

Ok folks, you can keep posting that deli wisdom as long as you have a mind to. I've seen a Pizza threads over here in the Barber Shop, maybe I should start a best Reuben or best deli thread.

In the traditional lexicon of kosher restaurants, a delicatessen is a place that serves meat: Pastrami, corned beef and so forth. A dairy restaurant would be the place to go for blintzes, kugel, bagels and cream cheese, and other milk-based dishes.

Many contemporary "delicatessens" serve meats that have been prepared in a kosher fashion, but that does not mean they keep a kosher kitchen. Just because you buy a Hebrew National hot dog, it isn't still kosher if you put cheese on it...

No this is not a joke or a trick question. Sorry. I've always been a big fan of Reuben sandwiches. One of my all time favorite meals is a Reuben and a nice bowl of matzoh ball soup. (in fact, based on the smell wafting down the hall my wife is fixing some right now).

There are a couple of neighborhoods here in St. Louis that have a high jewish population where you can get some really good Jewish cuisine. I've always been able to get a good sandwich, but I guess these are not Kosher delis. I was just curious how a sandwich with such a prevalent, if possibly alleged jewish history came about. Of course I could be mistaken about my understanding of the Kosher rules (and probably am)

Regards,

Are any other parts edible???:lol::lol::lol:

Randy

The sandwiches go for more than $20 is because they're grotesquely huge. I've don't think I've seen so much unfinished food on diner's plates in any other restaurant - either before or since. The managment has decided to sell patrons more food than they will likely be able to eat to boost its revenues - once its sold, it doesnt' care if it goes into the trash.

Montreal is home of the best smoked meat in the world. Reuben is actually somewhat of a blasphemey.

I agree with both of these statements I grew up on Montreal smoked meat and, for a short time had access to smoked meat in Toronto made by a guy who got his chops in Montreal. While I like corned beef, for me, it doesn't hold a candle to Montreal smoked meat served hot and hand sliced.

While the Reuben is a blasphemy, at least its a damn tasty one!

Top Bottom