What's new

If you walk in to a kosher deli and ask for a Ruben sandwich, what do you get?

Montreal is home of the best smoked meat in the world.
Well, I've been in every state but Hawaii and in all provinces of Canada and in all states of Mexico. In my experience the best smoked meat by far comes from Texas. I order corned beef from an Amish community in Pennsylvania, not exactly kosher but they take their time and do it right.

Richard

Well, I've been in every state but Hawaii and in all provinces of Canada and in all states of Mexico. In my experience the best smoked meat by far comes from Texas. I order corned beef from an Amish community in Pennsylvania, not exactly kosher but they take their time and do it right.

Richard

I've not tried smoked meat from Texas or Pennyslvania, so can't comment on how they would fair in a taste-off with Montreal's best (and if you haven't tried the meat at Schwartz's you're missing out!) but you've hit the nail on the head with the point about taking the time and doing it right.

L

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
There's a difference between kosher and "kosher style" delis, the latter serving recognizable Jewish dishes that aren't strictly (or evn remotely)kosher.

Carnegie Deli makes a great Reuben.

If you're not from NYC, you never had corned beef or pastrami. Period.

If you're not from NYC, you never had corned beef or pastrami. Period.

Moses correctly points out that it is still legal to travel to NYC, and even to transport corned beef across the NY State Border. In addition, although NYC may have the only real corned beef or pastrami available today, other towns used to make their own excellent slices of heaven. Sadly, the realities of the food business are reducing the number of places you can get the good stuff even in NYC--too much time and labor for a sandwich filling.

In my area (Chicago area) I pay close attention to the spelling of the word "Reuben". In many cases, where it is misspelled ("Rueben") the sandwich is on better bread, packed with more corned beef and better sauerkraut. This is the case in many "Greek Restaurants" or diners in the area.

It does no good to try to correct this spelling, by the way...

Here ya go.

Can you say heart-attack on a plate!

Just so the uninitiated don't get confused, corned beef, pastrami and smoked meat are not the same thing.

Corned beef is cured or pickled in brine.

Pastrami is pickled in brine and then smoked.

Smoked meat is smoked (no brining).

I like 'em all, but smoked meat is my preference.

FWIW, you can get smoked meat spaghetti and smoked meat poutine in Montreal - talk about culture clash!

One of my favourite is eggs with smoked meat. Pizza is not bad, but I only eat my poutine with cheese cruds and sauce!

When I visit New York, I always eat pastrami at Katz, yummy!
Any other fan of Katz?
For
FWIW, you can get smoked meat spaghetti and smoked meat poutine in Montreal - talk about culture clash!

In my area (Chicago area) I pay close attention to the spelling of the word "Reuben". In many cases, where it is misspelled ("Rueben") the sandwich is on better bread, packed with more corned beef and better sauerkraut. This is the case in many "Greek Restaurants" or diners in the area.

It does no good to try to correct this spelling, by the way...

Words like this are why I never trust a dictionary :biggrin:

Top Bottom