What's new

Any issue with using Lamy 2000 unposted?

I had a chance to stop by a pen store yesterday to check out both the Lamy 2000 and Pilot VP. I'm trying to decide on my first higher dollar pen. When I was handling the Lamy, I was surprised it didn't feel as much cigar shape as some of the pictures led me to believe. But, it seemed like the piston filler knob would start separating from the body when the pen wasn't posted. Was wondering if anyone has experienced this in real usage.

I was also surprised by the price discrepancy, I realize an actual store has much more overhead than an online retailer, but the Lamy was listed at $199. Thats a bit too much of a premium for me, but maybe I'm unrealistic about that. I bought a bottle of ink and two Rhodia pads to give them some business.

I might be leaning to the VP regardless, but since I mostly write unposted while at work, I was concerned at how that Lamy piston knob didn't seem to stay tight against the pen body. Maybe the size of my hand is such that the pen's knob makes contact with my hand and works itself loose. I'm sure it wouldn't work itself all the way as the resistance increases, it just left a small gap which was irritating.

Thanks for any comments.

I always use my 2000 unposted, and I never ever had a problem. The knob sits very flush against the body, and never loosens.

Mind you that I am a left handed writer; I don't know if it is the same for a right hander.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yeah, the knob should remain tight. Luckily you were able to try one before buying!

I sold my 2000, bought a couple of vintage 27 models and never looked back.

I have two vintage 27's, and while they are good pens, I highly prefer the 2000.

YMMV of course :001_smile

I like the ink window of the 27, btw!

With two Lamy 27's, a 2000, two Accents, a Lady, a CP1, a Persona, and a Studio, I could be called Lamynated indeed lol

Last edited:
I've only had my L2K for a few weeks, but never had a problem with the filler knob loosening, even without posting...and I'm a right-hander.

It's not going to loosen unless it is broken or done intentionally. Unposted is my preference for all my pens, but Lamy 2000 in particular.

Last edited:
I only use my 2000 un-posted. The filler knob seems to stay put just fine, but mine is new. Time will tell, I suppose. $199 is about $70 higher than the best online price I found.

-Andy

I only use my 2000 un-posted. The filler knob seems to stay put just fine, but mine is new. Time will tell, I suppose. $199 is about $70 higher than the best online price I found.

I think I paid DM 100,- for mine (€50) but that was years ago! However, I think you should be able to find them around €120.

I write with my L2000's both posted and unposted, it just depends what I'm doing. The piston fits down snug on my pen and never comes lose. I think I paid about $100-$120 for the last new ones I bough from a seller on amazon. I'd love to have supported my local place with a purchase, but like you they wanted $200 or so for one, and I felt tthat price is too high considering their wholesale cost. I use them for some inks and a lot of paper and roller refills for my wife.

Top Bottom