What's new

Elco Prestige writing pads mini review

Since I could not find my favorite Elco paper locally, the Elco Classic Velin (currently called Elco James Velin), I took advantage of the free shipping offer of Amazon, and bought some Elco Prestige writing pads:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prestige-Writing-Blank-Watermark-Wrapped/dp/B003B1ZJAG

It is 100gr paper, white, and with a smooth finish (similar to the Elco James Satiné paper). Actually I prefer the slightly rougher finish of the Velin paper. The Prestige paper has the "DOM" watermark which is the signature of Elco paper.

The Prestige paper is blanco, and comes in 50 sheet pads, with a lined guide sheet. The cover of the old style "Classic" pads looked more luxury than the current Elco James and Elco Prestige papers. However, since the original producer was taken over more than 5 years ago (after severe financial problems), it has become almost impossible to find the "Classic" writing pads. From what I can see, and feel, the only change was the cover, and the paper is still the same.

I have tried the Elco Prestige 100gr paper with a Lamy Persona (M nib) and Lamy turquoise ink. No feathering, or bleeding, at all, which I also had not expected, given the quality of the Elco papers. The paper absorbs the ink quite quickly. From my memory, that sometimes was a problem with the old style Toilé paper.
I prefer the creamy look of the Velin paper, but the white Prestige paper brings out the turquoise ink color very nicely (I'll try to post a picture later, with various inks). Another Elco Classic offering from the past, the Verge paper, seems to have disappeared completely from their line-up, just like the Toilé.

My impression is that the Prestige paper doesn't have the same amount of calendering as the Satiné paper has (fortunately, I would say). I would say that it is a very good writing paper, though a notch below the excellent Elco James Velin paper. If you can find it locally, or can take advantage of free shipping, I would recommend it. Otherwise, cross ocean shipping (for overseas B&B'ers) would make it too expensive.

$IMG_5699.jpg

$IMG_5700.jpg

$IMG_5701.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write up Johant,.. I started a wiki page to keep track of this stuff. Its a shame we cant get this paper easily over here as it is a really nice brand. I love the Satine paper, next great paper hunt of mine ill have to see if i can track this stuff down as well to feel the difference in it

Thanks for the write-up Johant. Based on yours and James' reviews this seems like a great paper that our EU members will be able to enjoy, the rest of us just get to look on in envy. ;)

Cheers,

M.

Top Bottom