What's new

PIF vs passaround ?

I'm almost to the point where I need to clear out a bunch of shaving stuff (some razors, razor heads, some shaving creams and samples, et cetera). My vision is to throw everything into a box which then goes from person to person, with each person trying out what they like/possibly keeping some of it/possibly adding some stuff and mailing it on.

My goals would be to include people new to wet shaving and to never see any of the contents again. I'd pay postage to person #1 and then forget about it except maybe reading in threads how much person X enjoyed product Y and so on and so forth. I have zero desire to "monitor" what is going on beyond that.

Is this a passaround, or a PIF, or what?

I think that would be a pass around box. And I'd definitely like to be added to the list, I am dying to sample different razors and products. As a noob myself I think it's a great idea as it would give me an opportunity to try before I buy! And then of course pass it on to the next guy and help spread the joy and love of this hobby.

Teppanyaki if you start this I would definitely be in to play..

I also think anyone who receives the box should definitely post their thoughts, breakthroughs, and criticisms on this thread.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'd call that a passaround.

There have been a few I've seen here. I've also seen at least 1 (maybe 2) completely disappear after being passed around halfway through the list.

Not to discourage you, just treat it like a message in a bottle.

If someone keeps the entire contents of the box, well that is pretty unfortunate and goes against the whole spirit of the exercise. It's a "take a penny give a penny"... not a "I'm gonna take all the stuff and keep it."

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Tep, if you do start a pass around box I would be up for being in on it as well, definately have some goodies I could add as well.

Being new to this I would love to try some different items. I would like to be on on this as well. You might want to somehow post a list so at least everyone will know where it is at a given time.

Smacks of a chain letter.

"Pay it forward" is a term describing the beneficiary of a good deed repaying it to others instead of to the original benefactor. I don't understand why you all use "pay it forward" rather than just "free razor" or some other term. Many of us buy things and give them away. Pay It Forward would apply when one of us was given something and we pass it on, not when we buy something and give it away.

Last edited:
I assumed that pass it forward came from the desire of the op to have the object passed forward if the original winner doesn't like it or wished to get rid of it. PIF sounds better than " i'll give you my stuff, but ..........."

Tep, I would be in if you do this.

rivieraranch, I think the PIF part as previously mentioned probably had a beginning somewhere beyond the here is some free stuff, I know some people here when they do a PIF keep it to a spirit of pay it forward by putting rules like only so many posts or having never tried the product (so that it is a newbie that benefits from the PIF).

I'm almost to the point where I need to clear out a bunch of shaving stuff....My vision is to throw everything into a box which then goes from person to person, with each person trying out what they like/possibly keeping some of it/possibly adding some stuff and mailing it on.

My goals would be to include people new to wet shaving and to never see any of the contents again....I have zero desire to "monitor" what is going on beyond that.

I hate to say it but without some level of accountability, your generous act could prove too much for someone not to take advantage of. I'm involved in a pass around box that did the disappearing act and I think it might be a little difficult to achieve your goal of allowing many people the benefit of trying new things without some level of monitoring.

A suggestion or two that might help is to get a list together of people that are interested, find a volunteer or two that would be willing to monitor and organize it, sit back and enjoy!

Or post up the box as a PIF (The Neverending PIF thread) with the stipulation that after a selection has been made, and maybe a contribution, that person must put it up as a PIF again.

You have a great and generous idea that is really fun to be part of. It's people like you that make B&B such a great place!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Smacks of a chain letter.

"Pay it forward" is a term describing the beneficiary of a good deed repaying it to others instead of to the original benefactor. I don't understand why you all use "pay it forward" rather than just "free razor" or some other term. Many of us buy things and give them away. Pay It Forward would apply when one of us was given something and we pass it on, not when we buy something and give it away.
an unspoken rule is that if you are the recipient of something free you will eventually pay it forward to someone else. Not necessarily the item you were given but perhaps something you don't want or could offer to help someone else out. It is the act of kindness and generosity you are paying forward.

It's not that you have to do it, it's that you should want to do it. It's the gentlemanly thing to do.

We call them PIF's because we are a gentlemanly forum. Anyone can give something away and accept a gift, but a true gentleman will pay it forward.

Well, I guess I can have everyone who signs up monitor the person before them in the list. I'm probably a week or two away from doing this, as I need to make some handle decisions. Then it's replating time for a few and box it up for anything I don't want to keep or don't have a use for.

I'm debating tossing my Muhle R89 with a Grande handle in there as well - my first DE so it has sentimental value, but it never shaved well without irritation for me so it's not like I plan on using it again. Plus, I would like to have my house streamlined so that everything I keep is either functional or aesthetic or both. Since I don't plan on displaying the R89 (not that nice), I'm leaning towards boxing it. I am keeping my R41 2013 with the regular handle for now, though.

It's a very noble idea to start up a passaround box, but some degree of accountability on the part of all involved is pretty much a requirement for smooth operation. All it takes is one link to break and the whole thing goes the way of the dodo. If it were me, I would first call for and post up a list of recipients of the box, then post the box's inventory when it leaves me and the tracking information. Each recipient can keep the box for a day or two, then they must re-inventory the box, post that list and annotate what they added/took away along with the tracking information for the next recipient. Posting the information in the open forum keeps everyone honest and allows for easy monitoring.

If you do start a pass-around box, I'd like to contribute.

If you don't feel like 'running' it, I can start a box, put the list of items and recipients, and the tracking number on here, and the list can be updated by each recipient in turn. Heck, you can be first on the list. If so, best start soon--I go on leave in a little over a week so I'd have to start sooner rather than later!

Whomever starts the box can post the master list and if anyone adds or takes they can post such in the forums. Then the next recipient can double check to ensure accountability. Personally I wouldn't want to take anything, just try out different razors and product, as well as throw in a few items I don't really use but someone else may like.

Top Bottom