What's new

PIF vs passaround ?

i would to be a part of this as well. seems llike a great idea for those of us that are new to the "sport".

OK, I am hoping to get everything cleaned (razors going to go through either an alcohol or antibacterial Scrubbing Bubbles treatment) and photographed/inventoried this week. Anyone who is interested please reply in this thread and I will get a list going.

Preliminary rules (if anyone has suggestions let me know) - each recipient gets to try whatever they like for a few days (ideally less than a week to keep things moving). The recipient may keep 1 item (a razor, for example) and 1 sample of shaving cream/soap, add whatever they like, and mail it to the next person in the list. Each recipient is responsible for posting in this thread what they got and when they received the box, what they took out, and when they sent it to the next person (and whom). The current recipient is responsible for checking that everything is in there, as I do not want to police the darn thing. My goal is to give away everything I don't want or need, but to gradually distribute it to people. My goal is also to have each recipient being responsible for the person sending it in order to create some accountability without my needing to do it in as simple a fashion as possible.

The only "payment" I would like is for people to post what they liked and enjoyed (or didn't!). You certainly don't have to do this, but "I really liked razor X so I kept that one" is nice to read.

Please do NOT send anything back to me. If you are the last person on the list, feel free to send it off to more people et cetera.

For the list of people, I figure that whomever has responded already in a "first post, first on list" is the fairest way I can think of to do this.

Any suggestions as to how to get people new to wet shaving on the list, as this thread isn't in the "new shaver" board section?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Preliminary list:

Christian_V
Hinano_Paul
dfoulk
cottontop
chgruver
Aristeros
hammerdownny
Grit
one2mny

If I missed anyone who has already posted on this thread, it's because I didn't think you wanted to be part of this and were just commenting. If you do want to be part of it, let me know.

I'd like to get in on this. I have something I could throw in right now, and I'm always at flea markets, so I'll start keeping my eyes open for anything and everything. Not to mention I've only been wetshaving for 3 months or so. I've only tried 2 razors, 1 cream(two scents) one soap (two scents again, same formula) and one aftershave. This would be a great opportunity!

It is true however, that one bad egg ruins the whole dozen. I just hope that the good spirit I've so far found around here can generate a successfull passaround box. Although it's not suprising that some people decide that they might as well just keep whatever is left. Some people are simply that way and theres not much else to be done.

It's good that you essentially want nothing to do with the items when they get sent out. Then it doesn't have to get back to anybody if it does drop off the face of the earth.

Last edited:
Teppanyaki, Man this is happening! I'm super excited to participate in this thing. That sounds like a solid plan.

One suggestion, Maybe make the time period a tad longer? I don't know how much will be in the box, but I shave every other day so in order to get a chance to try out everything it may take longer than a few days, perhaps make it a week and a half or two weeks (with the accompanying postings about our thoughts about what we are trying out)

I'd like to get in on this, I was actually considering doing a PIF for a few things so I can just throw a couple in this box.

Latest list-

Christian_V
Hinano_Paul
dfoulk
cottontop
chgruver
Aristeros
hammerdownny
Grit
one2mny
Milkmanv1
ClintO

Re: time to hold, a week and a half (or even 2) is fine. My big fear is that the longer someone holds on to it, the less likely it is to get passed around. I am counting on the next person in the list to hold the last one accountable. I do hope it works as planned - I do realize that 1 person can spoil the whole thing, but if anyone is considering that please remember - I'm sending this out with the expectation that you get stuff to try out and you get to pick and keep your favorite item for free (minus postage to send the box along) plus a sample. 2 samples if I have a ton of them-I need to check.

Hoping to mail this out this week and that my own procrastination won't get the better of me.

Take this with a grain of salt but if you decide two weeks is how long each person will have the box, you're looking at close to 7 months worth of participants right now

Christian_V
Hinano_Paul
dfoulk
cottontop
chgruver
Aristeros
hammerdownny
Grit
one2mny
Milkmanv1
ClintO
jvm61

After reading Rockminer's comment, I'm thinking of a week per person. Will try to get a list and some pics up later tonight.

FYI all, 1 of the list participants is in Canada (rest are CONUS, I believe). I'm fine with this and I'm hoping that y'all are as well.

OK, picture and legal disclaimer time!

First, all items are as is and you use them at your own risk. I hereby absolve myself of all responsibility (and you agree to accept all responsibility) for use of any items of the PIF/passaround, especially if you use them in unwise and/or unsafe manner. This includes trying to shave other people, small furry animals, or using the Toro Mastiff on pretty much anything besides reinforced concrete. Enough said. I did blast all razors with Scrubbing Bubbles with the "kills 99.9% of bacteria) stuff, but you need to clean the razors yourselves to whatever degree you see fit. My understanding is that bleach damages stuff.

Pictures!

$IMG_2700.jpg$IMG_2701.jpg$IMG_2702.jpg$IMG_2703.jpg

Razors, from left to right - Merkur 1904 open comb. Supposedly mild and smooth shaver for others. I found that it simultaneously didn't shave my stubble while still irritating the heck out of my skin at the same time. A marvel of German engineering in its seemingly impossible combination of aforementioned capabilities..

Matador Toro Mastiff closed comb head on a vintage New ball-end handle (think it has a small crack). The devil's razor. Evillllllll. The blade sticks out well past the cap/safety bar tangent, use at your own risk. Bwahahahaaaaaa. (by the way, I kept the handle)

Merkur Slant 39c barberpole. A really nice razor, glides through stubble better than probably any other razor I've ever used. Is tricky to use sideways under the nose without nicking yourself, and I grew to prefer angling the razor on my own ("Gillette Slide"). I just liked my R41 and, later, my News, better. Read the posts on how to load the blade evenly before using.

Muhle R41, 2013 edition, regular handle. Of all of the razors I am sending out, I may miss this one the most. Very effective, just not as forgiving as my News. Beautiful razor. May your new owner love you at least as much as I have.

Muhle R89, Grande handle. My first razor. Really didn't care for the irritation - my face and it simply didn't agree. Many people love this. Go forth and make someone happy.

Pearl open comb (same as Cadet/Matador/et cetera) with very grippy handle. Not bad, just not a New. Handle is very grippy, but the edging just doesn't feel "comfortable" to me. In its case.

$IMG_2704.jpg$IMG_2705.jpg$IMG_2707.jpg$IMG_2708.jpg

Soap and cream samples -

Mike's Natural Soap samples. Great, lathers much better as a puck than a sample. Didn't care for these scents.

TOBS and Dr. Harris samples. Didn't care for some of the scents, still working on my cream lathering skills. Be off into the wide wide world.

Mystic Water. I couldn't lather you to save my life, and with other great options I don't care to learn. Begone! Some cool scent options, though.

Shulton Old Spice aftershave, in lime and regular. Sorry, but you can't compete with Lucky Tiger for scent, or Thayer's Cucumber for feel. May someone give you much love.

Kiss My Face mint.

Tabac. Scent is . . . not me. 'nuff said.

Attachments

• $IMG_2706.jpg
    $IMG_2706.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
$IMG_2709.jpg$IMG_2710.jpg

Blades -

A bunch of razor blades. Duh. I threw in 2 packs of my favorites (Polsilver Super Iridiums) for people to try.

OK, final set of rules unless I change my mind before mailing it out -

1) When you get the package, post here as to when you got it and what is in it. You are responsible for making sure the person before you acted honorably. Remember to clean & disinfect your razors. PM the next person in the list to see where you are supposed to send it. I'm fine with CONUS and Canada (and Mexico, but I don't think anyone is in Mexico) if y'all are.

2) You have the package for 1 week (ideally, less so it keeps moving). Try anything and everything you like. My reward is reading about how people enjoy the stuff, so please post about what you like, and what you didn't.

3) Keep 1 major item (a razor, or if you like a big shaving cream or aftershave). It's yours to do whatever you want with it. If you want to swap handles on the Muhles feel free. I think it would be nice to keep the samples and blades going around so people further down the list get a chance to try stuff as well.

4) Add anything you like (nice, but not necessary). Mail to next person. Post here as to when you sent it.

If I'm forgetting anything or anyone has suggestions, now is a really excellent time to let me know!

I will say that it's weird mailing off . . . by my estimate over $250 worth of razors/supplies that I think I could redeem on BST for . . . maybe half that? But I don't think it would be nearly as much fun if this works out, and it's much easier to mail stuff off. It feels really good to be planning this, by the way.

Teppanyaki, this is awesome. I am honored and excited to be a part of this passaround box. I know the week I have it I will have a ridiculously sore face from shaving every single day (hell I'll shave twice a day if needs be) but whatever it takes to try out as much as possible.

A couple of questions: is it ok to break open the blade boxes? There are five per box so would it be cool to snatch one and leave four for the next guy if there isn't enough time to try them (for later?) Same with the soaps, ok to cut off a small piece and then re-wrap the block and send it on it's way?

It's just peachy to open the blade boxes - that's why they're there! Feel free to use a different blade every day. I am sorely tempted to say "No, you can't open the blade boxes!" (they're there for show), but I won't. :001_tongu

Soaps & creams - feel free to take a small piece/amount.

Razors have been Scrubbing Bubbled - some haven't been this shiny since they were new! Letting them sit after being liberally sprayed works a ton better than "pray, scrub with toothbrush, and rinse."

Razors have been Scrubbing Bubbled - some haven't been this shiny since they were new! Letting them sit after being liberally sprayed works a ton better than "pray, scrub with toothbrush, and rinse."

I've let my razors I've cleaned sit in the bubbles for 5 minutes or so followed by a furious toothbrush scrub... with ok results. I may have to follow your lead and try out the longer soak. I'd rather "set it and forget it" then scrub away with a toothbrush and see inferior results...

Edit: by the way Tepp I'll be posting my thoughts nightly in separate smaller entries rather than one long post at the end of the week. That way it's all fresh and unclouded by my terrible short-term memory/brain power which I abused in my youth with countless unmentionable substances. I hope you don't mind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom