What's new

So you're new and you want to start honing? Here's what you need to know.

Actually, no, I don't see what difference the mojo makes, so I don't use it. Alfredo is the biggest proponent of mojo honing.
"mojo" is the garlic/sour orange marinade you soak your chicken in, very good stuff if made at home

"MoJo"-ahh that is something entirely different. MoJo is like love, you can't explain it but "know" when you have it.

However you spell it, my sense is that "mojo" can be summarized as follows...

$Mojo.jpg

But I fear we're getting off-topic here. For starters, gimme a soft/black Ark combo stone (or is that a soft and true hard Ark?) and a pasted strop and I'm good to go...

Last edited:
Alum,
Is the layout of that picture an accident or are you trying to tell us something about the intrinsically masculine nature of "mojo"?

I am waiting for delivery of my first straight edge razor. Before I start on my own, can anyone recommend a good honing and sharpening service I can send it to for the first time just to make sure everything is good?

I am waiting for delivery of my first straight edge razor. Before I start on my own, can anyone recommend a good honing and sharpening service I can send it to for the first time just to make sure everything is good?

Make a thread about it, I'm sure a few guys will chime in.

However you spell it, my sense is that "mojo" can be summarized as follows...

View attachment 367716

But I fear we're getting off-topic here. For starters, gimme a soft/black Ark combo stone (or is that a soft and true hard Ark?) and a pasted strop and I'm good to go...

reminds me of this

Man's first encounter with a Nakayama.

Notice how damn confusing and enraging it was to these early rock rubbers?

Shortly thereafter, they realized they could do better, and started utilizing tools, defeated their enemies, built spacecraft and invented lapping film.:w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Blackhawk,
I was wondering if you've ever heard of this honing stone out of Japan?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251410815852
Would it be worth a try since it's so cheap in price or does the price say it all? We all know the classic saying "You get what you pay for..." but sometimes you can find a "gem" and not pay "gem" prices.

Thanks
Brian

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I think that is a marble tile with lapping film stuck to the side, that is why they are upset

If it was a marble tile with lapping film stuck to it, they would all be getting scary sharp edges on their bones and sticks, and going for BBS shaves.

I would like to hone my own blade. My question regards the grit: does it matter what size grit you use, as in start with? I assume it is also a must to go from a lower grit up to a higher grit to 'finish' the blade? The higher the better is my understanding.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I would like to hone my own blade. My question regards the grit: does it matter what size grit you use, as in start with? I assume it is also a must to go from a lower grit up to a higher grit to 'finish' the blade? The higher the better is my understanding.

Yes, it matters very much. Are you already shaving with a straight?

Yes, it matters very much. Are you already shaving with a straight?
This is what I had been thinking.
Yes, I have already been shaving with a straight razor; the stone was professional prepared for me after I had purchased, but I would like to learn the trade at home.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If your razor is simply getting a little dull from normal use, all you really need is 1u film. Roughly equivelant to a 12k Naniwa superstone, functionally. You could add .3u film over picopaper, but as a newbie you are probably better off keeping it simple at first. Just hone on 1u film, no paper, until you feel the suction between blade and film. Go another dozen laps. Then rinse off the film and blade, apply lather to the film, and hone some more, gradually reducing pressure until the blade is just floating over the film with no real contact, on the lather. This second step can be a little tricky maybe, but if you get it you get a superb edge, as long as you got good results from the unlathered film. If you dont get the lathered honing just right, you still got a good 1u edge, which should be quite nice to shave with.

Finer films tend to give a crazy sharp but somewhat harsh edge until you learn to finesse a little smoothness out of it. Plus, until you learn to max out the 1u you are just wasting your time with .3u. So there you have it. For touchups, just get some 1u film and something to use for a lapping plate and you are good to go.

Top Bottom