What's new

Best razor daily use for sensitive skin, inspection ready shave

Gentlemen I attend a military college where we have to shave every morning and there are consequences if you don't. Sick off irritated skin every day, and expensive cartridges I took my friends advice and got a nice Dovo straight razor, bad idea.. Been looking at safety razors recently, I want to know what is the best for my situation and your help will also benefit my comrades.

I asked a friend the other day and he told me safety razors will give your skin red bumps.. Dont want too waste my money again, hence why im asking here...

So far I like the Gillette fat boy and slim, and the Blackbeard Scimitar..

All related comments and help will be greatly appreciated.

I switched to a safety razor because they're supposed to reduce irritation, not make it worse. I could never get a really close shave, especially against the grain, with a fusion. For you, I'd recommend finding an adjustable razor like a Fatboy or a Slim. I have a '66 slim and it's fantastic. No more irritation, and a close comfortable shave. I also enjoy shaving now instead of considering it a chore.

Good luck!

First of all welcome! I'm new as well.

Gentlemen I attend a military college where we have to shave every morning and there are consequences if you don't. Sick off irritated skin every day, and expensive cartridges I took my friends advice and got a nice Dovo straight razor, bad idea.. Been looking at safety razors recently, I want to know what is the best for my situation and your help will also benefit my comrades.

I asked a friend the other day and he told me safety razors will give your skin red bumps.. Dont want too waste my money again, hence why im asking here...

So far I like the Gillette fat boy and slim, and the Blackbeard Scimitar..

All related comments and help will be greatly appreciated.

I started recently as well. First I checked here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Getting_started_wetshaving

Then I chose the right razor, which for me was the EJ DE89. It was honestly not as dangerous as I was hoping, I haven't been cut yet. So I recently ordered an R41(2013) and will probably sell my original when I get used to the R41. That being said, maybe I just have a rough face, the EJ DE89 was a great way to learn. I like Astra, cheap and easily found. If all of you are pooling monies you may be able to make your own sampler pack cheaper by buying in 100 packs. Some of the popular ones are Astra, Feather(some say not for beginners), Personna's, Gillette 7 O'Clock, etc.

Welcome aboard. My razor burn and bad ingrown hair problem cleared up with my switching to a DE razor. I suggest an Edwin Jagger. Nice mild shaver of high quality.

Head to a single edge. My best shaver is a five dollar antique store gem micromatic. It will teach you no pressure and help get rid of those problem areas. It has worked for me!

I think for most of us, switching to a DE REDUCED our irritation and ingrown hairs, not made it worse. Any razor used with too much pressure or a dull blade can cause irritation, red bumps, ingrown hairs...but a good razor used properly with a sharp blade will reduce your irritation.

I recommend a mild razor to begin with, an Edwin Jagger, Muhle R89, Merkur 23c (180 long pole) with some Astra blades or a blade sampler pack. Proraso shaving cream in your choice of scents. A decent boar or cheaper badger brush can be had for under $25. For under a $100 investment you can have a complete setup and have the nicest shave of all your classmates.

Once you decide this is for you then you can look for a Fat Boy, Slim or other vintage razors on our own Buy, Sell, Trade forum (B/S/T). You can start with a 60's Superspeed for $10 or less, a Tech for a bit more. You can almost always find a decent (but not perfect) Slim for around $30 and a very decent Fat Boy for under $50.

Over the past year I've become a fan of the Edwin Jagger series. I think you should consider examining your choice of shaving cream: does the ingredient list on the label contain anything that you could be allergic to or is it lacking in something that would help, like aloe or lanolin? I originally stuck with canned foam, but have become a fan of brushless creams.

I suggest Gillette 1940's Super Speed.

I concur completely. I own a slim, a Fatboy and a Merkur as well as a Super Speed. And for the life of me, the Super Speed loaded with either a Pol Silver SI or Feather tops them all. And, a person can pick up a Super Speed on the Bay for around $20.00 plus shipping (or less) on any given night. I saw three just a few minutes ago closing within the next half hour alone.

Super Speed + Pol Silver SI would be my recommendation.

Frank

Any shaving instrument can give you razor bumps and irritation. I think what you need here is some focus on technique. I'm interested to hear about your experience with the straight razor, and why it was a "bad idea". Now, granted.. a straight razor is a steep learning curve, but a DE requires technique as well. Switching to a DE or straight will not just automatically mean no irritation. You have to learn how to shave properly with any tool that you use. Pre and post shaving activities, as well as type of cream/soap used make a big difference.

I've never used a cart before, but those that do often do report a better experience with a DE. Can you tell us a little more about your overall shave routine that you use today with the cart? I think starting there, we can help you more than just another blind recommendation.

Most importantly....welcome to B&B!

Im military also. I started DE shaving about a month ago. I started with a Merkur 180. Since starting i have eBayed a few vintage razors. I have so far a '40 ball tech ( very mild i think), '54 TV special SS and recently won Fatboy. So far i love my tech and SS. It will take some time to get technique down and product choice for your skin and tastes. Before you take plunge do as i did, research and watch videos. When you take plunge, shaving wont be a chore but an enjoyment. I shave every day for PT, even by 7pm face and head are still relatively smooth still. If your at the college to become an Officer you'll have something to talk about besides cigar choices.... j/k

PS. can get blades from Westcoastshaving. Lee's shaving ships free to us military. B&B also has a blade exchange. Might be a good place to start with experimenting especially on low budget. If you or buddy want a DE PM me and ill send you my 180 and a pack of good blades. Always brothers in Arms.

Your recent winning looks like they need some TLC. There is a section on here for how to clean. Id say clean them up and then see their condition. If look really good then should be good, but re plating depends on you. Both those are mild shavers, travel one you can use in the field...

Last edited:
You will love the Gillette SS. Great razor, mild and gives great shaves. Try it with either Astra SP blades or the Gillette 7 o'clock blacks or yellows. It will be a very reliable tool and will give you years and years of great shaves. If you have a heavy beard, then some day you may want to move up to a Gillette SS RedTip. Its a little more aggressive than a regular SS. Another suggesstion is to try the Merkur 15c open comb razor. Excellent shaver and gives really close shaves. Its pretty mild though. The Gillettes are a great way to go. Enjoy. Be sure to give us a SHAVE REPORT.....

P.S. (to my last post) for inspection ready you only need to do a WTG and ATG pass then do a little touch up buffing and you will be good to go for inspection (21yrs Naval Service). Enjoy you new toys and Thank You for your future service (even if you will come out as a "ZERO" (officer = hehehehehe)

Get some Scrubbing Bubbles from the store and scrub those razors down with an old toothbrush. They'll clean up nicely and give you some good shaves.

I started with and still use, a year later, the Edwin Jagger DE86bl. A wonderfully mild razor that is great for those with sensitive skin like yourself. I also suffer from a sensitive skin issue and once I started shaving with a DE, everything cleared right up.

I would also suggest sufficient prep is more important than the razor choice itself. A well lathered, cushioned, protected, slick beard is going to allow any razor to effortlessly slice through your whiskers without so much as hint of tugging, leading to irritation. Pick a nice cream or soap that is consistently mentioned on this forum, choose from the plethora of brushes, and spend the day practicing how to lather either on your face or in a bowl. Happy Shaving!:straight:

Top Bottom