What's new

Anyone know anything about Aikin Lamberts?

I can safely say that I know NOTHING about fine writing instruments, so when I saw this place I figured I'd found the right place to get some information. I got the below pen when cleaning out my grandmother's house after she passed. I can make out on the head (is that what they are called?) Aikin Lambert No.1.....and that sums up everything I know about the pen. I found some listed on eBay that had gold filled heads for pretty decent prices ($200-300). Mine seems to be in pretty decent shape but has a hairline crack in the handle where it meets the head. There's also a small blemish on the tail of the handle. I don't know what the handle is made of (don't know if it is ivory, plastic, or what). The box looks like an original but has no markings. The two sides are disconnected (broken apart) but have what looks like the original hook fasteners.

Give the crappy pictures I've added blew, can anybody tell me anything about this pen? Thanks.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 48
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 48
Nice looking pen. Doubt it is plastic but if you really want to find out, heat up a pin or nail and touch is in an inconspicuous spot. If it melts, it is plastic. Ivory won't melt. If it were bone it would be porous/grained.

Unfortunately I cannot offer any knowledge on it.

Thanks for the hint, but doesn't that leave a melted pin hole in the handle? LOL. It's definitely not bone. Thanks.

Why you use a small pin and use it in a place no one will see right away. You will also be able to tell pretty quick- it will leave a very small mark if it is plastic-which I doubt it is.

You can also wait until this time tomorrow to see if one of the more knowledgeable collectors can chime in. Take your time with the old relic. :D

That pen is not worth $2-300 in my opinion. If it is, I have a very valuable collection. ;-) You're probably looking in the $50-75 range for this dip pen. It is not plastic, as it was made well before that was the choice of pen material. It likely has a very flexible nib and will be a god writer. Aikin Lambert was really one of the Kings of the pen industry, having made pencils and reportedly nibs for Waterman, and eventually being ought out by Waterman. A nice find!

Ive gone after a few on Ebay as they are reported to have great nibs, but they have been targeted by many people as of late and the prices end up higher then I want to pay. Its a great find and probably a great writer too

Top Bottom