What's new

what's Your Favourite Coffee Coloured Ink

I never had much desire to try brown ink and I have to admit when I first used it I was underwhelmed. On a whim I bought Pelikan 4001 and tried it out. I have grown to like the subtle color differences when writing with it, and of all the colors I have used at work, I have gotten the most comments about this one.

I prefer my coffee black... but I am about to finish a bottle of 4001 brown. Depending on how the ink is flowing it can vary quite a bit in color. I like it but I might need to reconsider my 3017 ink policy (it takes me a very long time to completely use a bottle of ink.. ). My next bottle of ink will not be brown but when I work my way around to another brown bottle it will probably be MB brown.

Ruckin.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Stipula Sepia, J. Herbin Café des Iles, J. Herbin Lie de The, Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Guri, Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi, Diamine Macassar, Noodler's Golden Brown, Noodler's Kiowa Pecan, Montblanc Toffee Brown. I love brown inks. I like how they can be bold and standout without looking obnoxious or flamboyant. I also like sketches that use predominately brown inks. They can remind me of old monochrome photographs.

Why brown? I can understand other colours give some "life" to the page. Brown is so...BLAH... I just don't see the appeal. I've not tried any brown inks so it's not first hand knowledge, I have no desire to either. Almost every other colour out there I've seen at least one example that screams out "Try Me!!", nothing from any brown so far.

Cheers,

M.

Brown was weird that way for me too, for a long time. Early on I tried Noodler's Walnut, Monteverde Brown. But none did anything for me. Fast forward until late 2015 or early 2016 I got a sample of Parker Penman Mocha. Great ink! Problem? Long ago discontinued.

So I went on a hunt to find the "perfect" brown.One that was close enough to imitate Mocha. I tried Monteverde Brown again, Sheaffer Brown, Waterman Absolute Brown and Diamine Saddle Brown. While I liked them all to varying degrees, I decided on Diamine Saddle Brown. Bought 80 ml size. Just wet enough and in the right pen/paper combo provides some nice shading. I have it in my Pelikan M200 Cognac right now. (fine) I'll move it to something with a wider nib next.....

I'm thinking to expand beyond Quink Blue-Black for daily use in a Moleskine notebook, and am looking for a dark warm brown; and an ink that flows well, doesn't dry on the nib, and starts immediately.
Reviews seem generally favourable, but how do people here feel about "Diamine 150th Anniversary ink: Espresso"?
I read that I'm using a "medium iridium point nib" in my Borghini V110.
I do like the colour, as rendered in this reviewer's image.
proxy.php

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm thinking to expand beyond Quink Blue-Black for daily use in a Moleskine notebook, and am looking for a dark warm brown; and an ink that flows well, doesn't dry on the nib, and starts immediately.
Reviews seem generally favourable, but how do people here feel about "Diamine 150th Anniversary ink: Espresso"?
I read that I'm using a "medium iridium point nib" in my Borghini V110.
I do like the colour, as rendered in this reviewer's image.
proxy.php

I really like Diamine inks. According to my ink log, I haven't tried Espresso though. You also might want to check out J. Herbin Café des Iles. Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz is another that might be close to what you're going for.

Old thread. Haven't noticed some of the names in it for a while.

I like Sailor Jentle Doyou. It can come out looking almost black when using a wet writing medium nib, until you look at it under a strong light, then you see the brown. From a finer nib, it's unmistakably brown. Some water resistance, enough that I don't worry about keeping important notes with it.

My go to colors are blues, but I generally have at least one pen with either a brown or purple.

I have always favored brown inks. My favorite varies from day to day. :)

Currently on hand are:
--Waterman Havana Brown (Absolute Brown)
--Pelikan Edlestein Smoky Quartz 2017
--J. Herbin 1670 Caroube de Chypre
--Seitz-Kreuznach Chestnut Brown
--Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown
--J. Herbin Lie de The
--Private Reserve Copper Burst
--Noodler's Golden Brown
--Seitz-Kreuznach Cognac

I basically have three (maybe four) that could be part of the Brown family.

Diamine Saddle Brown
Levenger Pomegranate (which could also be called a dark red). This was the gateway brown for me. It darkens to the color of a Pomegranate husk. Really cool sheen. Discontinued in 2016. I have never been able to find it in the secondary markets.
Diamine Ancient Copper (another that has some red in it)
and my newest acquisition, and its a LE ink.
KWZI 150 Confederation Brown Scriptus 2017 (the LE ink for the Scriptus 2017 Toronto pen show)

Top Bottom