What's new

About to get started in the straight world .

and of course, advice is needed.

I am in New Zealand and for my first straight I intend to buy it here.
The retailer I bought all my DE stuff off (which I love) has told me that the straight I plan to buy doesn't need to be honed and is shave ready.
From what I have read here, a good 90% of the time this isn't the case.

Another NZ retailer states clearly on their site they will hone every razor they sell to a shave ready state. I feel a lot happier with that.
So with that in mind, I am looking at the below two items, a strop and a straight. I have shaving creams, a brush, bowl etc already from DE shaving.

http://gentlemansblade.co.nz/Cut-Throat-Razors/Dovo-Best-5-8-Cut-Throat-Razor-White

It looks to be a pretty much entry level one. Nothing flash. Would it be a good place to start?

This is the strop.

http://gentlemansblade.co.nz/Strops/Dovo-Leather-and-Canvas-Strop

The thing I am most concerned about is having a well honed shave ready razor. In my time on the boards I haven't stumbled upon a honemeister here in New Zealand, I realise there are a good number of you in the US.

I am pretty sure I can get away with a single straight to start with as I only shave about 3 times a week. Can't grow a real beard to save myself. This has its own good and bad points. However at some stage I fully expect to increase the number of straights I will own.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to click on the links and give my your feed back. I am not completely adverse to buying overseas, it is just in the first instance, if anything goes wrong it might be easier to deal with someone local.

Any tips on what I might be missing or should be considering to begin with will be much appreciated.

cheers

Greg

and of course, advice is needed.

I am in New Zealand and for my first straight I intend to buy it here.
The retailer I bought all my DE stuff off (which I love) has told me that the straight I plan to buy doesn't need to be honed and is shave ready.
From what I have read here, a good 90% of the time this isn't the case.

Another NZ retailer states clearly on their site they will hone every razor they sell to a shave ready state. I feel a lot happier with that.

Most razors right off of the factory line aren't shave ready to our standards and require further honing to achieve that. I think you'll be much happier with the pre honed razor.
So with that in mind, I am looking at the below two items, a strop and a straight. I have shaving creams, a brush, bowl etc already from DE shaving.

http://gentlemansblade.co.nz/Cut-Throat-Razors/Dovo-Best-5-8-Cut-Throat-Razor-White

It looks to be a pretty much entry level one. Nothing flash. Would it be a good place to start?

This is the strop.

http://gentlemansblade.co.nz/Strops/Dovo-Leather-and-Canvas-Strop

The thing I am most concerned about is having a well honed shave ready razor. In my time on the boards I haven't stumbled upon a honemeister here in New Zealand, I realise there are a good number of you in the US.

You're definitely on the right track here. Having a shave ready razor is the most essential ingredient to a good straight shaving experience. You'll need a good brush and shaving soap or cream to get started as well. The strop looks pretty good, but might be a tad pricey for starting out. Most newbies will nick or scar their first strop and as such, an expensive strop could be a heartbreaker when it gets damaged. Check out whippeddog.com. This is a US based vendor, but he does overseas sales as well. The Dovo Best is a good razor, but a shave ready vintage might be a better value for the money, especially starting out.

I am pretty sure I can get away with a single straight to start with as I only shave about 3 times a week. Can't grow a real beard to save myself. This has its own good and bad points. However at some stage I fully expect to increase the number of straights I will own.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to click on the links and give my your feed back. I am not completely adverse to buying overseas, it is just in the first instance, if anything goes wrong it might be easier to deal with someone local.

Any tips on what I might be missing or should be considering to begin with will be much appreciated.

cheers

Greg

If you stick with it, you'll definitely acquire more shave gear. It's a side effect of the hobby. Good luck and welcome!

That's exactly what I started with in may. I shave every day, and most days that's the razor I choose. I also have a couple vintage blades and a couple more in process of restoration. You will be fine. Some will suggest a balsa "strop" with chromium oxide/ferrous oxide/ diampnd pastes as a way to maintain/refresh the sharpness of the blade. I haven't tried this yet but it seems like good advice for a beginner. Slah McCoy will tell you and anyone else who will listen to get a sheet of balsa, put 0.5 micron diamond paste on one side and 0.1 micron diamond paste on the other. After every shave strop about 4 dozen times on the 0.1 micron side. Eventually when the edge starts to get dull, strop about 4 dozen on 0.5 micron then the same on the 0.1 micron side. He believes you should never have to hone the blade again. He claims to have razors going for over a year with this method. So far his advice (at least that which I have followed) has been good.

It looks like you've done some thorough research into what you will need. Good job.

I have some suggestions regarding the specific items:

Almost everybody destroys their first strop during the learning process. If you were to buy from the shop you mentioned, I'd recommend this strop first: http://gentlemansblade.co.nz/Strops/GB-Leather-Strop . Develop the technique, then get something prettier/longer-lasting/more expensive.

That said, I'd recommend getting everything from Whipped Dog. You get a decent razor that you know has been made shave-ready by a very experienced honemeister (you could even order a backup razor, since you'd already be paying something for shipping), and the poor-man's strop kit has everything you need to keep the razor sharp for quite a while. The chromium oxide and ferrous oxide, especially, are useful when you're starting out. Use all of those tools to learn how to shave with - and maintain - a straight. Then spend money on a fancier razor, a new strop, some honing supplies, etc. The fancier razor won't necessarily shave more easily or smoothly than what you get from Whipped Dog. It'll just look prettier and feel different, especially if you get a different grind.

Good luck.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It looks like you've done some thorough research into what you will need. Good job.

I have some suggestions regarding the specific items:

Almost everybody destroys their first strop during the learning process. If you were to buy from the shop you mentioned, I'd recommend this strop first: http://gentlemansblade.co.nz/Strops/GB-Leather-Strop . Develop the technique, then get something prettier/longer-lasting/more expensive.

That said, I'd recommend getting everything from Whipped Dog. You get a decent razor that you know has been made shave-ready by a very experienced honemeister (you could even order a backup razor, since you'd already be paying something for shipping), and the poor-man's strop kit has everything you need to keep the razor sharp for quite a while. The chromium oxide and ferrous oxide, especially, are useful when you're starting out. Use all of those tools to learn how to shave with - and maintain - a straight. Then spend money on a fancier razor, a new strop, some honing supplies, etc. The fancier razor won't necessarily shave more easily or smoothly than what you get from Whipped Dog. It'll just look prettier and feel different, especially if you get a different grind.

Good luck.
+1

alrighty -

what if I amended my plan to this from Whipped Dog,

2 x sight unseen razors (kind of like a genuine present to myself)
1 x poor man's strop kit

Probably less $$ than what I was looking at originally and maybe a smarter start.

What sayeth you oh wise forumites?

Probably a good decision. 2 razors a cheaper (more expendable) strop and a pasted balsa strop. For less. Does that take shipping into account? Hard to argue with even if shipping pushes the cost up a bit.

Done the maths, looks like the best be will be to get the deal from WhippedDog.

Just doing the last decision between new shiney stuff and sight unseen not new stuff!

Placed the order with Whipped Dog.
Not sure when the items will arrive, but once the do, I will start a shave journal.

Well, it is on its way! Very excited. I hope Larry has picked a couple of good ones for me!

Top Bottom