What's new

Tomoe River Paper

Last week I received a shipment of TR paper from paperforfountainpens.com. It included 2 bound journals and a sheaf of loose, untrimmed A4 sheets. This afternoon I sat down with sheets of TR, Rhodia, Kokuyo Campus and copy paper to do a little review. Unfortunately, my scanner must have gone to the big techno-dump in the sky because it has decided it doesn't want to scan anymore. So, I will have to wing it.

The first thing that struck me was the thinness of the paper. It is 52gsm which is the lightest paper I have encountered. It reminds me of onionskin paper. It is so thin that a writing mat is recommended because even the light touch of a fountain pen nib can leave tracings on the next pages. Not the ink, just the nib markings. It is remarkable that a paper this lightweight has been about to handle everything I have laid down. Broad nib? No problem. Wet ink? No problem. Wet ink ink a wet-writing broad? No problem.

That's right. No feathering or spread, even with wet pairings. I have yet to encounter any bleed-through either. The thinness of the TR does allow for some ghosting but in most circumstances I do not think that use of the reverse side of the page would an issue. Remarkable paper.

I do not know how the paper is finished but the paper is nearly as smooth as Clairefontaine but to touch the paper is a different experience. It almost feels to my fingers that there is some fine texture to the paper. However, when the nib hit the paper....like glass.
The dry time, like most quality paper, tends to be a little long. The results are worth the weight. THe TR paper allows inks to exhibit some excellent shading.

This paper's performance is easily up there with the best paper available to FP users. Does the quality justify the steep price? Probably not. I am happy with Rhodia, Clairefontaine and Kokuyo. They offer similar performance at a smaller price. The novelty of the thin paper and its performance was worth the cost to give it a try.

If you are on the look out for hardbound journals, the above website is selling hardbound TR journals. Blue cloth, 320 blank pages of TR, at a size slightly smaller than A5. The quality of the journals appears to be good. I am looking forward to finishing my current journals so I can start into one of the TR journals.

Sorry about the scanner. If I can get the dang thing to cooperate I will post some pics.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That good, eh? Sounds like an upcoming purchase as I do like my thin paper.

Daniel, thanks for the review!

I'm waiting to finish my current journals before i buy these but i've had my eye on them for the last few weeks.

I got a sample of the paper from a local store here and i agree with everything you say. It is a very thin paper but i hav no issues with any bleeding or feathering. It is very smooth paper also, almost like sliding your hand across silk.

The few lines i have written show some exceptional shading, but like you said dry time is a bit slow.

I will be getting some of this paper in the near future, I just have to finish my current journals because i know i wont if i get this lol

I'm waiting to finish my current journals before i buy these but i've had my eye on them for the last few weeks.

I got a sample of the paper from a local store here and i agree with everything you say. It is a very thin paper but i hav no issues with any bleeding or feathering. It is very smooth paper also, almost like sliding your hand across silk.

The few lines i have written show some exceptional shading, but like you said dry time is a bit slow.

I will be getting some of this paper in the near future, I just have to finish my current journals because i know i wont if i get this lol

I am burning through two journals at the moment just so I can open a spot for the TR. Very nice to be able to source this paper locally. Is the local shop Wonder Pens, by chance?

I have read on FPN a fair bit about their wonderful customer service. They sound like a great source for our friends in the Great White North.

Top Bottom