What's new

Canning/Pickling

I'll have to try that sometime, seems like a lot less work than hot water canning. Although I doubt SWMBO would like 28 jars of pickles sitting in the fridge :lol: Vodka cherries sound delicious, I was thinking of making brandied cherries myself.

I'll have to try that sometime, seems like a lot less work than hot water canning. Although I doubt SWMBO would like 28 jars of pickles sitting in the fridge :lol: Vodka cherries sound delicious, I was thinking of making brandied cherries myself.

I made cherry wine years ago from scratch, but that involves dumping the fruit thats left over! I never thought of making my own brandy and keeping the cherries. Maybe next year we can make less preserve and do. Batch of each! :biggrin1:

This is commonly called 'refrigerator pickles'. Pretty quick to put together & you'll have infused veggies in about a week. Only issues are 1) takes up fridge space, & 2) does not have the long-term shelf-life of the full-fledged sterilized method. But for a relatively small batch or two, it works just fine.

I just got into canning this year because I have a pile of green tomatoes that I need to do something with, so 11 pints of green tomato salsa and 6 pints of green tomato relish later, I had the bug, went out and bought a bunch more jars and some pectin and made jalapeno jelly, margarita jelly and white wine jelly into the bargain. I am thinking of hitting the local discount produce place to see what they have by the case-lot for my canning enjoyment.

Nice stuff, guys. I just made a batch of nukadoko, the fermenting rice bran that you use to make Japanese pickles. It won't be ready for a while, but I'm looking forward to doing up some vegetables soon.

Yeah, I made another batch of salsa on the weekend, plus carrot pickles, chutney, chow chow, and five fruit marmalade. It seems like I can't do things just a little bit.

The wife and I just finished turning a bushel of apples into 10 quarts of applesauce. I didn't get enough peppers from my plants this year, so I'll try pickling some jalapenos and banana peppers next year.

I put up a few dozen pints of smoked King Salmon this year and If I get lucky I will be putting up a few dozen pints of Black tail venison and possibly some bear sausage patties.

I did a batch of olives earlier this year. We have some ornamental olive trees that mysteriously decided to fruit, so I looked up online how to do it. There's about a dozen different methods, but all concur that the olives have to be salted and drained continuously for about 10-12 days first. It's a bit laborious. Also I think I harvested slightly too late - some of the olives are still a little bit bitter (but still tastier than commercial olives). Either that, or they're simply not a good variety for pickling.

I'd love to try home done olives, I've always found commercial ones a little gross, but it seems to be more the process than the olive itself to me.

Tonight I made blueberry jam with some blueberries that I had stashed in the freezer, will defiantly let you guys know how they turned out after they cool.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 48
The blueberry jam turned out great, not bad for my first attempt. Last night I made some jelly from a cheap bottle of wine that my wife picked up a while ago, it turned out pretty good also.

The blueberry jam turned out great, not bad for my first attempt. Last night I made some jelly from a cheap bottle of wine that my wife picked up a while ago, it turned out pretty good also.
That reminds me, I probably should make some port wine jelly. Haven't made it in years and it's a great relish with meats.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Every 2 weeks I pickle 1 red onion sliced with a bit of salt, orange juice and lemon juice. Wait 3 days and put in my tacos or eat with a steak. It's like a ceviche, the acidity of the lime cooks the onion perfectly.

When done, I cook chicken or pork with that juice, I let it reduce in the pan with the meat. Great in tacos!

Top Bottom