Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which open comb DE razor is the most mild?

Images

Question Which open comb DE razor is the most mild?

I am on the search for an open comb that shaves mild, mostly for my neck.
    I found that my R41 Grande is causing irritation, bumps and by using my black beauty, I hit the trouble spots on #1 through #3 , and I am irritation free. The rest of my face can handle anything, but I want an open comb because I find them to edge my beard line easier then a regular DE.

Any suggestions?

I guess if nothings available, I can use my open comb just on beard line and use the adjustable on the trouble areas.

I use Polsilver SI
    Thanks

My Merkur 15c is very mild but still a really good shaver. The 1904 has the same head just a different handle. They are way different to the r41.
    Cathal a.k.a. Ning
    Ní leor tenaga amháin
    RIP Seamus Heaney

I found the Merkur 1904 to be mild as well as Gillette (new) long comb razors IMO.
    Last edited by DrumZalot; 08-31-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    Joe: (BOTOC - PERDEDOR) A shave a day keeps the barber away.

Goodfella razor hands down. Merkur 11c is very very mild too.

Merkur 1904 OC

Last edited by GDCarrington; 08-31-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    The goal is for each person to find what serves them best in the art of shaving.

Images

Thank you guys very much

Images

The iKon Open Comb is also a milder razor. I haven't tried any of the others above, so I can't do a direct comparison but from what I have read the iKon may be a bit more aggressive than the others and still considered mild. More $$$ also, but (imo) worth it.

The mildest OC's, as mentioned, are the Merkur 1904's and similar (Goodfellas, etc). They didn't work for me.

Another OC which is relatively mild but shaves VERY nicely is my Gillette New short comb. Long comb is slightly more aggressive for me but also excellent. This may change as I am still trying out the short comb.
    BOTOC, GNU, LEMS, SERLover, Stirling Syndicate
    New Shaver Guide - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/373872-My-short-and-somewhat-misleading-shaving-guide-for-those-foolish-enough-to-listen

The Gillette Sheraton from the late 1930's if by mild you mean "comfortable."

The Gillette Goodwill from the early 1930's if by mild you mean "non-aggressive."

If you can find one of the Grand Shave King self lubricating razors, you will find it to be one of the mildest, smoothest shavers going. It is a open comb.

The top cap has grooves parallel to the teeth of the comb which reduce friction and make it extremely smooth
    Regards,

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Teppanyaki View Post
    The mildest OC's, as mentioned, are the Merkur 1904's and similar (Goodfellas, etc). They didn't work for me.

Another OC which is relatively mild but shaves VERY nicely is my Gillette New short comb. Long comb is slightly more aggressive for me but also excellent. This may change as I am still trying out the short comb.
    +1
    Many of the razors mentioned here are VERY mild, such as the 1904 and the Grand Shave King. The Gillette NEW SC is mild but very effective. I also agree that the Sheration is a very comfortable shaver.
    Gillette NEW Über-fan (GNÜ) ~ BOTOC ~ Shower Shaver

FOr me the mildest OC is the 1st gen Tradere OC.
    The greatest thing about this hobby of ours is this place.

Images

I find the IKon Open Comb perfectly mild for my purposes. It is now my every day razor.
    Pierce: Joris/Old Style/Pendragon Razor/UFO Kaiser Long; Feather; da Fat; WDFH-X;--The Order of the Fat; Brotherhood of Barber Scents (BOBS); BOTOC; Joris-Fatip Lovers; Chosen; GNÜ; TOFLAC-U; Personnas of the Mysteries; Pendragon Razor Handle Reviews; Pen Head (Metropolitan); MADMen. Publisher: BEAVERCLEAVERVILLE Sun-Gazette.

Images

I had a Gen2 Tradere OC that was very good (why do we sell stuff we like?) and just had the good fortune to get a Bob's Razor Works New Long Comb with a long handle from the BST that is just superb. Like it so much that I picked up another New Long Comb head for my UFO Kaiser handle and it leaves me looking like I fell out of a car. Same head (theoretically), different handle and there you go. There is a science to this that amounts to "just try it and see" I'm thinking.

I regularly use a Merkur 1904 with a Feather or Astra SP. I have a sensitive neck with hair that grows every which way, and I find I get a good DFS on my neck without irritation. Two passes with some touch-up. The 1904 is somewhat adjustable by backing off the handle by up to a quarter of a turn. I'm not wild about the handle, as I find it slick and hard to hold on to at times. I use the handle from my Pearl OC instead, and it makes for a very good razor.
    Honor the past and forget about the Futur. Buy vintage!

I do have to say that Sheraton was a smooth and mild razor. Very nice.
    Be well. Mind, body & soul.

is the Merkur 25c just the 15c with the longer handle? I have been looking for a mild OC as well but I would like something a little heavier/longer handle than what I currently shave with.

Quote Originally Posted by gasdoc View Post
    is the Merkur 25c just the 15c with the longer handle? I have been looking for a mild OC as well but I would like something a little heavier/longer handle than what I currently shave with.
    Yes.
    Honor the past and forget about the Futur. Buy vintage!

the mildest oc razor i have used is an old british souplex 3 piece,mild but gives a nice close shave.

I have a Merkur 11C which I think is pretty mild, I've been using 2 shims to make it alittle more agressive.
    Last edited by Richie; 09-02-2013 at 10:23 AM.