What's new

Fatip Grande

I gave myself some razorburn the first time I used my Fatip grande. I should have slowed down.... Dial in the "no pressure" advice and good beard-mapping to be sure of a first, solid WTG pass, and it's a fine thing. I put a Tradere handle on mine, which seemed to help.

Well what did I have to worry about? I went all Italian with the Proraso pre-shave cream, green tub soap and Bolzano blade with one shave on it (thanks Gravy!) already. BOOM! Easy, comfortable BBS with 2 passes and a little cleanup, no blood and the alum test passed with flying colours. With the DE89 I need 4 passes plus a bit of cleanup to get a BBS so cutting the number of passes should mean less chance of irritation.

@ironfist - I got mine from http://www.nkdman.co.uk/fatip-grande-safety-razor/ I got the last one but I'm sure they will be back in stock soon. There's a discount code on theshavingroom.co.uk that gets you 11% off so I paid £18.75 after the discount.
Best price for one in stock I can find is http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/maqu...nilla-afeitar-peine-abierto-fatip-grande.html coming in at £18.08 delivered using the B&B discount code.

Last edited:
Well what did I have to worry about? I went all Italian with the Proraso pre-shave cream, green tub soap and Bolzano blade with one shave on it (thanks Gravy!) already. BOOM! Easy, comfortable BBS with 2 passes and a little cleanup, no blood and the alum test passed with flying colours. With the DE89 I need 4 passes plus a bit of cleanup to get a BBS so cutting the number of passes should mean less chance of irritation.

@ironfist - I got mine from http://www.nkdman.co.uk/fatip-grande-safety-razor/ I got the last one but I'm sure they will be back in stock soon. There's a discount code on theshavingroom.co.uk that gets you 11% off so I paid £18.75 after the discount.

Glad it went well for you man :)

Thanks for the link sir :)

Excellent stuff, i knew you'd like it after you said you do 4 passes with the EJ.

Its an awesome razor but be careful on the neck or irritation can be a problem quickly. Don't use the razor if you already have irritation present from a previous shave. I have a very tough beard that feels like a brillo pad. I need a very aggressive razor. My Gillette Slim on setting 9 or the Fatip are the best so far. With the Fatip the following blades work best for me in order of preference:

• Feather - but only once (2 passes). Toss it after one shave. Do not use if any previous irritation has not healed. If I find myself needing more than two passes - stop and do not proceed or irritation will result. Just let it grow out and go after the next day or so. With the stars aligned, a Feather + Fatip can produce an outstanding shave for me. If not careful, days of neck irritation will result.
  • Israeli Personna - excellent for two shaves.
  • UK Wilkinson - good for 3 - 4 comfortable shaves. But takes a lot of touch up after 2 passes.
  • AstraSP - good for two shaves. A little irritation prone.

Horrible for me (poor cutting and extensive irritation):

• Polsilver
  • Gillette blue pack 7 o'clock super platinum

I also find the Fatip needs at least 24 hours of growth to give a good shave. With light growth it seems to lead to much more irritation. At two days growth this razor is dreamy. With a Feather is almost a one-pass job to a perfect shave.

Last edited:
This razor gives me outstanding shaves specially when paired with Feather blades, it is just literally melting the whiskers. Damn fine shaving with only one single pass WTG.

My FaTip (Picolo - same head as the Grande) is my daily razor during the working week. My 2013 R41 might shave slightly closer, my Rocket HD is way smoother & my Tradere OC is my favourite razor, but for very close, irritation free, 2 pass shaves, every time, nothing can match the FaTip. Everyone should try one & not be put off by its undeserved reputation for aggression.

THIS is the kind of thing that makes me consider getting something 'new' to my already brand-new EJ DE89L.
This site sucks lol - it's BAD for the wallet! :)

THIS is the kind of thing that makes me consider getting something 'new' to my already brand-new EJ DE89L.
This site sucks lol - it's BAD for the wallet! :)

I've now had 2 great shaves with this razor and again it was an easy 2 pass BBS. It probably isn't the best of razors for beginners as there is a lot of the blade exposed and I imagine it could really bite. I've been shaving with a DE for 4 months now and only just feeling confident enough to try a razor like this.

Third shave with this razor last night with a fresh Perma Sharp Super blade loaded, and I got a not so gentle reminder not to be too cocky with an aggressive razor and a sharp blade! Nothing too bad, just a reminder to be careful.

I tried to cut down to two passes this weekend with the FaTip. I went XTG and ATG. While I did get a BBS shave, I wouldn't say it was the most comfortable. I think I'm going to stick with the three pass as my face just likes it better. The FaTip is one fantastic razor!

I've had this razor for a short while now. When I first got it I had a couple of fantastic shaves with a Bolzano blade which was a new one to me at the time. After that I tried it with a couple of the blades I really liked in my DE89 and the shaves were as rough as hell. Wondering why this should be the case I looked closely at the blade in the razor and I noticed that the blade is exposed a lot more on one side of the head than the other. Playing around with the head a little it became clear that there is a lot of play in the blade in the head when tightening it up and it is very easy to get the blade exposed more on one side than the other or even in at an angle. No wonder the shaves were rough. Is this a design problem with this razor or is the one I have faulty? I'm thinking that for the first couple of shaves I just got lucky loading the blade and got it straight and even.

It probably isn't the best of razors for beginners as there is a lot of the blade exposed and I imagine it could really bite.
O Boy are you ever right! It was my first razor and it almost made me give up on wet shaving altogether. I'm planning to go back and try it as my skills improve though, any hot tips on how to handle it? Specific quirks that one should be mindful of?

Top Bottom