What's new

Has anyone done research into ancient shaving?

I have found pictures of bronze and iron razors. I am having trouble finding any SERIOUS research other than the basic Romans plucked as well as shaved stuff. Ideally I would like to find out about the 4th - 9th century Europe. We know people shaved, heck Monks shaved parts of their heads. You would think there would be something but I can't find it.

Like with much of the ancient world, very little was documented. Many couldn't write, and the materials to do so were expensive, and not very durable over the tests of time in many cases, so the average small daily tasks weren't well recorded. I have friends that research other things, like cooking and basic clothing, and other than the occasional painting and wood carving, information is pretty scarce.

Thanks much VV for the link.
Shave_Rat I know all those types too : )

Last edited:
No research on my part, but I've watched a corny video about shaving with obsidian. Used by Native Americans to make knives and arrow heads. Not Europe, but hey, I find Native American history equally interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
No research on my part, but I've watched a corny video about shaving with obsidian. Used by Native Americans to make knives and arrow heads. Not Europe, but hey, I find Native American history equally interesting.

This is ancient shaving history to me:
$braun.jpeg$Fusion.jpg
I'm not being entirely facetious because I spent 2/3 of my life trying to get these to work for me with reasonable closeness and comfort. I really think the manufacturers push these on the public because it is more profitable for them. When they tried to make a safety razor vibrate or an electric razor work with shaving cream is when I began to smell a rat. It's kind of like telling somebody your eating experience will be enhanced if you use an electric fork. I think some time in the future people are going to look back at the shaving gimmicks they're selling today and laugh.

At least obsidian razors were forerunners to legitimate shaving equipment.

I'm also thinking about this. Even they had tools for shaving How did they have sharpen them? Now dont tell me Romans also used Dilucot Ellipticot methods. Lol
How ever From the beginning (since 2560 years back ago ) Buddhist monks had to shave their entire heads bears etc.due to hygienic reasons and to encourage them selves to shelve worldly pleasures. Since that time they are only prescribed to keep eights items for their personal use. The items are, robe and related things for the robe , bowl to be used in eating, needle and thread to repair the robes and a STRAIGHT RAZOR.This practice still exists. All of these were documented, still the shape of the straight razors used and how they have sharpened the edges were not known. Those scriptures do not give such elaborate details of those tools.
My thinking is that shaving during that time might have bean a quite an ordeal for a person . (just like going to the dentist in these days) .

I find this topic very interesting, we know people shaved way back, but I wonder when the straight razor as we know it today was first used, an yes, I did read the article on shaving history in the wiki.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/61064-What-is-the-Oldest-Razor-in-Your-Collection

There is a few threads on here about member's oldest razors. These triangular wedge razors with no shoulder were made in the 1700's.
$114058d1354840153-who-here-straight-razor-place-owns-oldest-razor-dsc_1029.jpg

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...hool-we-are-going-Ancient-School-Roman-Razors

That is what the razor looked like around Alexander the Great's time. 300BC until 300AD

I can't find much on shaving between 500AD and 1500... Beards were the fashion for just about everyone. Knights and royals wore beards as a symbol of wisdom and honor. The lower class couldn't afford to go to the barber and most people's grooming preferences mirrored their leaders.

Only catholic clergy had to shave so there isn't really too many razors to begin with and it's unlikely that any still exist. If they do, they probably looked the same as the ones from 300bc-300ad.

In the 1440's Edward IV is the first monarch I can find depicted without a beard. His razor probably looked a lot like a pocket knife. In the next hundred years until 1550 the upper classes were following the king and requesting shaves. A hundred years later the masses would have started to shave as the trends worked themselves down the line. Hence we start to see some collectors have razors from 1600's, lots of people have some from 1700's and in the 1800's the straight razor takes the shape we know today.

That's pretty much it... If you have more specific questions I love discussing barber history.

How ever From the beginning (since 2560 years back ago ) Buddhist monks had to shave their entire heads bears etc.due to hygienic reasons and to encourage them selves to shelve worldly pleasures. Since that time they are only prescribed to keep eights items for their personal use. The items are, robe and related things for the robe , bowl to be used in eating, needle and thread to repair the robes and a STRAIGHT RAZOR.This practice still exists. All of these were documented, still the shape of the straight razors used and how they have sharpened the edges were not known. Those scriptures do not give such elaborate details of those tools.

I'm on occasional speaking terms with a "for real" Buddhist monk. Want me to ask him next time I get a chance?

Ww

Please ask him. As a practicing Buddhist I constantly interact with monks and nowadays most of them use cartridges or disposables. Mainly because that's what they are being offered by the public. Even though straights are offered with other necessities as a custom, usually straights or a shevettes made in India or Pakistan are offered. Straight shavers in my country nowadays are almost extinct (Only barbers use Shevettes) . However we can assume using straights was practiced by Asians for over 2600 years.

Japanese might have also developed their sharpening techniques using natural stones also during the same era. Anyone specializing in Japanese history can chime on this. Since the invention of katana they should have been experimenting to make it sharper.

Just Googled and came up with this pic, allegedly 10th century Byzantine...

$b2532.jpg

Although prior to the 10th century, these guys were not exactly known for their BBS shaves...

$Justin-I.gif

Last edited:
Did anyone take High School Latin within the last 30 years? Remember translating the story of the barber and the old man? "Tonsor est iratus. Multus sanguis fluit. ".

Not to get off track, but I remember learning that Roman barbers were often the town surgeons because they had the sharpest instruments. I thought this little nugget might (or might not) help those of you that are digging. That and, tonsor = barber and novaculam = razor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom