What's new

A bit of advice for a new Vapor

Ok so a little back story...... I have been a Cigarette smoker and cigar smoker for over 20 years. I smoked most recently Marlboro Southern cut and a lot of high end cigars my family owns a cigar distribution company. I recently decided as my wife is expecting our second son it's time for some life style changes. THE big one after a bit of a scare was the tobacco is going bye bye..... as they found scarring on my lungs and I feel like being around to see my kids grow up. Under the advice of my doctor he recommended I move over to vaping ..... I didn't even know what the heck he was talking about .... he gave me a list of sites as he vapes as he and I am paraphrasing " you will get the nicotine which unto itself is not a carcinogen but eliminate the carcinogens from the mix and in the long run save money and your lungs at this point will heal to a extent". So all that said I am now set up with a Joytech eGo-C VV 1000mAH battery and was using the Kanger 510 horizontal coil atomizers I bought from Freedom smokes. I spoke to Dustin over at Freedom smokes and he recommended I buy a second battery as well as a Kangerpro cleartomizer that will have a beauty ring for the eGo-C as well as a tank that will hold 2.5ml of juice and will ultimately taste better as there is barely any wicking to offput the taste and that the bottom feed tanks are superior. Does any one have any opinion on this I already ordered it so that is that but what are the thought on those Kangertech pro tanks ? here is a link for all that I have .... any suggestions, input on the tank or battery itself Joytech vs. another brand...... please speak to me like an idiot as this is all new to me so I am a bit lost with a lot of it and just bought what the Doctor said would be good and to top it off he said he recommended I start at 24mg juice and every other month drop the mg dose until I am down to zero nicotine..... he has evidence that is showing these devices are also great to quit smoking if I ever truly decided to give up the nicotine habit. so here are some links tell me what you think and your advice to a NOOB !!!!! thanks in advance.

http://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/mods/joyetech-ego-c-twist-variable-voltage-1000mah-battery/

http://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/part...h-protank-pyrex-glass-2-5ml-bottom-feed-tank/

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/parts-accessories/ego-compatible-parts/ego-ego-t-usb-wire-charger/

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/miscellaneous/kangertech-protank-coil-replacement-heads-5pk/ in the 2.5 ohm resistance as my battery is VV

and finally what I am currently using for a cartomizer http://www.myvaporstore.com/Kanger_510_Horizontal_Coil_Cartomizer_p/510krct.htm

Thanks again !!!! 5 days now no analog cigarette have been smoked !!!!!

- Aaron

A local ecig shop in my area sells tons of Egos and ProTanks. From what I've personally seen, they work rather well. Like nearly everything in this hobby personal tastes vary but they're pretty cheap so try one out and see.

As for the rebuildable clearomizers, I don't know much about them. I know several people who like the regular Kanger clearos so I imagine they're ok.

For ego batteries, there's so many rebranded ego batts that it would be hard to say if a brand if better than any other, at the end of the day it could very well be the same thing. You might want to pick up an Ego Twist battery, it will allow you to crank up the voltage a bit which most find useful when using the ProTank or any other atomizer for that matter.

You will most probably like the clearomizer or protank over your current cartomizers. Cartomizers have filler material in them that mute the flavor and scorch over time.

I like using http://www.discountvapers.com/. They're a good company with great prices. MyFreedomSmokes has been around a long while though, keep using them if you like them.

Starting at 24mg is a good place, for me its what I needed to set the cigs aside. I now make my juice at 10mg, but I could see going lower, I don't really vape for the nic, more for the habit of inhaling/exhaling something and I happen to like the taste. I'd rather do this than eat a piece of candy or something.

Not sure what other advice to offer off hand other than don't be scared to try different juices, when I first started I thought I needed tobacco juices, turns out I really can't stand any of them. I'm sure there's some good ones out there but once that you get over the idea that cigs ever tasted good you realize that trying to mimic that taste is kind of ridiculous. And keep talking to people who vape, it will keep you interested in it and less likely to relapse. Check out the ecig forums out there.

A huge +1 to tattooed's post. Most tobacco juices taste nothing at all like a true analog and they'll frustrate you. Go off the wall when you're choosing a flavor. My top three having nothing to do with a Cigarette. I had a ProTank and HATED the draw. I did every single thing I could think of to make it better but nothing ever did. I'm a big fan of Vivi Novas. Congrats on stopping smoking !!!

Thanks to both of you !!! yeah I see pro/con's to both cartomizers and this protank........ I actually like the convenience of the protank and the look and overall flavor is smoother but every now and again I'm starting to get a burnt almost like the wick is not picking up enough juice...... the cartomizers on the other hand are idiot proof but the cotton or whatever the wicking material is mutes the flavor more and produces less vapor...... I do not have a hard time at all with the protank delivering huge amounts of flavor and vapor but, I am not using very thick juice I do not think so that is probably a factor. the other pro to the protank is the capacity it holds 2.5 ml opposed to 1 ml so less filling I average one fill on the protank a day compared to the 3 times a day on the standard cotton cartomizer topping it off which is a real pain to void the air tube. I am using a REAL Joytech eGO-C 1000mAH mod and the protank kcame with a adapter beauty ring to marry it up nice and finished looking. I'm not 100% on the protank though this odd burnt taste is getting me to think the coil s burning out prematurely. I really want to try that Vivi Nova I hear lots of good things about them. will they marry up to the Joytech ? I will look it up I'm pretty sure it will. Thanks for the encouragement and you know its weird I agree 100% at first it was weird not tasting a "cigarette" but after like the first day I really started liking the different flavors I mean really a cigarette tastes like a freakin ash tray !!! why do I want to taste a ash tray in the first place ? I still get my nic fix and I don't have a horrible aftertaste and stink my car or house up !!!! and I am gradually decreasing the nicotine dose as well ...... so it's win win all the way around. again thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
Aschecte, I've been a MFS customer for two years and they are good people. I was smoking heavily and suffering serious consequences until I tried e-cigs. I quit cold turkey the day my gear arrived and it was no big struggle. You will need more than one battery and if you're planning to spend a lot of time in your car get a charging system that will work in the car. If you're looking for tobacco flavors that work my two favorites are Dunhill and Turkish from MFS. Good luck.

I'm not 100% on the protank though this odd burnt taste is getting me to think the coil s burning out prematurely. I really want to try that Vivi Nova I hear lots of good things about them. will they marry up to the Joytech ?

That was my problem with the Pro Tank. Airy Draw and a bit of a burnt taste. My honest concern with it is that maybe my battery couldn't push it like it needed to do so. I think you'll love the Vivi Nova if you get one and it will fit your eGo as well. It has the same "screw in" system that the Pro Tank does. I'm interested in the Innokin iClear 30 as well. I think that will be my next purchase.

Everyone's taste will differ, but I like the tobacco vapes - they taste more like what tobacco smells like before lighting it to me. I like naturally extracted tobacco (NET's) from Goodejuice, Ahlusion, Quic-nic, and Mountain Oak. Still flavors are fun too - developing a rotation is nice so you don't get tired of the same thing all the time.

That was my problem with the Pro Tank. Airy Draw and a bit of a burnt taste. My honest concern with it is that maybe my battery couldn't push it like it needed to do so. I think you'll love the Vivi Nova if you get one and it will fit your eGo as well. It has the same "screw in" system that the Pro Tank does. I'm interested in the Innokin iClear 30 as well. I think that will be my next purchase.

Well I figured out the burnt taste issue thanks to YouTube LOL !!!! basically had to disassemble the atomizer , remove the wicks (2) of them small suckers too...... then reinstall the unit no juice etc.... but with the coil exposed..... then basically tap the button on the eGO-C VV and it will burn the char off of the coil and clean the center poly fiber ... you also blow on it at the same time to dislodge any carbon deposits.... it was really easy and you can actually see the coil getting cleaner and the black disappears. From what others that I know that vape and use this tank say this is not uncommon to have to do especially the way I was using it ie. way to often and I was also doing direct lung pulls so I was over heating the coil and the wick did not keep up with the wicking of juice hence a carbonized coil. but it is all better now and zero problems all flavor again. Still was a pain in the butt and will be exploring other options..... lastly I was told the atomizer should last at least 1 month before needing to be changed at my setting 4v at 2.5 ohms. We shall see.

Everyone's taste will differ, but I like the tobacco vapes - they taste more like what tobacco smells like before lighting it to me. I like naturally extracted tobacco (NET's) from Goodejuice, Ahlusion, Quic-nic, and Mountain Oak. Still flavors are fun too - developing a rotation is nice so you don't get tired of the same thing all the time.

yeah IDK ..... I'm so used to 20 years of tobacco I don't know if I'll be down with vaping granny smith apples or grapes...... LOL just even sounds weird to me. I have been using Halo for the juice and currently have been using Tribecca, Southern classic, Prime 56, Turkish blend, and a few samples I can't remember ..... some have more of a as you put it natural un burnt tobacco flavor more reminiscent of my dipping days... somewhat sweet and a bit of odd flavor and by odd I mean like caramel toffee like undertones or clove or citrus under tones but I actually do like the flavor of those. I'm so new and it seems like such a huge world of options and gadgets so I am still crawling through this not even walking yet as it's all a bit overwhelming the amount of options.

Having a juice rotation is absolutely necessary, good advice there. I find if I vape the same flavor even in back to back tanks that I can't really taste it the same. I keep about 5 flavors in rotation.

I also felt the same about the fruit flavors and now thats all I vape. In that same spirit though, I can't seem to vape the savory stuff. I just can't wrap my brain around vaping cupcakes and blueberry cobbler.

Tried the new Vision vivi nova tank 3.5 ml/..........already had the Kangertech protank. What a huge difference..... both have their pros and cons but the biggest drawback of each I think is the protank has a tendancy though not for the last two days to get a dry hit as it is a bottom feed and a very small wick but it is wide open and easily to pull huge amounts of vapor. The vivi nova is ok but way to tight of a draw I mean it feels like it wants to be a cartomizer with a poly filler BUT nothing but flavor and you can draw forever as the long wicks really draw the juice much better..... well I guess I have them both so I'll keep rotating juices so I'll have 4 different flavors at anytime and also still have my poly 510 cartomizers too ...... I guess I'm rambling but my point is I have options now I'm just not sure yet which my favorite is yet...... I'm leaning a bit more towards the protank at the moment.

I must make amends with the ProTank. I hated the Pro Tank 1, but wanted to give the 2 a chance on the Vamo. I love it. The airy draw is gone and I'm not getting crappy burned hits.

try out an Iclear30, its what i use with my evic. i love it, its a 3.0 ml tank with dual heating coils and four wicks, gives an awesome vape with a pretty good plume :biggrin1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
One thing I haven't seen mentioned- shake your juice before filling you tank. The VG and PG will separate, and I assume the nicotine will, too.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned- shake your juice before filling you tank. The VG and PG will separate, and I assume the nicotine will, too.

That is great advice and actually just learned to do that yesterday and that very well could be part of the reason for the bad taste I was getting in my one vivi nova...... it seems over the last few days things have been getting a tad bit better..... still a long ways to go though before I actually feel I understand what I am doing...... so much stuff volts, ohms, watts, priming !!!!! what the heck is priming ?!!!! how do I inhale properly ..... I wish there was just like a wiki like here on B&B but for vaping to teach a new vapor how to do it the right way.... I feel this should be intuitive but it is not...... oh well I will eventually get this down to a point that I kind of get it. thanks everyone for the responses so far it is greatly appreciated !!!!!!

oh yeah one more thing it's officially over 2 weeks without a analog and I threw out my safety pack so I'm full time now.

Nicely done!

Like I mentioned earlier, keep talking about vaping and checking out videos, forums, etc. It will help keep you interested and off the analogs.

This intro to e-cigs might help a bit.

I have the vivi nova mini. It's okay, but the wick style always runs a bit dry for me. Dripping is the best way to go. I like a 306 in a drip shield. Some of the atomizers die in a minute, others in a couple days, and others a month or more. I think it's more how you use them, but there's so little quality control anywhere that it might be the devices.

Last edited:
I use a Kangertech 2 and have only been vaping for a few months, you probably know more than I do. But one thing I recommend is getting juice from a small brick and mortar store that makes their own. I go to Smoque on Broadway here in Chicago to buy mine. I probably pay more that way, but I figure Jared is not going to put something in the mix that will kill me to cut his production costs. Big corporations do that all the time, I think you have to be very cautious with online vendors, you never know.

Also, the baseplate on my kangertech breaks sometimes when I drop it. Just fyi for replacement parts I have been buying parts at www.[FONT=arial]VapingXtreme.com. Enjoy being able to smell things again! Good luck![/FONT]

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I use a Kangertech 2 and have only been vaping for a few months, you probably know more than I do. But one thing I recommend is getting juice from a small brick and mortar store that makes their own. I go to Smoque on Broadway here in Chicago to buy mine. I probably pay more that way, but I figure Jared is not going to put something in the mix that will kill me to cut his production costs. Big corporations do that all the time, I think you have to be very cautious with online vendors, you never know.

Also, the baseplate on my kangertech breaks sometimes when I drop it. Just fyi for replacement parts I have been buying parts at www.VapingXtreme.com. Enjoy being able to smell things again! Good luck!
So far, everything I have bought has been local. The shop owner has a very cute wife.

Top Bottom