What's new

Pre-Shave Oil Alternatives

I love using a pre-shave oil, but I just ran out of my AoS Sandalwood this morning. This causes a problem because I'm not wanting to drop $25 on another AoS bottle at the moment, and that is the only actual "pre-shave oil" that I know of in my town. I know I can order cheaper ones online, but those will take time to ship and I need to shave within the next day or two. I've heard of baby oil as a nice alternative, but I was wondering if anyone out there had used anything else or had any other ideas for a cheap pre-shave oil that would be easy to find?

Not exactly the answer you are looking for but have you considered dropping pre-shave oil from your routine? A hot shower is a great beard prep. Another option would be to build some proto-lather on your face. Some guys use Noxema or the generic brand. Hot towel?

Shave Secret. Available at WalMart. MUCH cheaper than AoS, and I like it better. It's slicker and not as thick and goopy. (some love it, others hate it, but it's cheap enough to try without breaking the bank). It's actually meant to be a standalone shave oil (without soap or cream), but tons of folks use it as a preshave. Give it a try.

I'd dropped the oil altogether, but if you really want to use oil after a full 5 minutes of hydration...Jojoba oil is very cheap and very good.

Not exactly the answer you are looking for but have you considered dropping pre-shave oil from your routine? A hot shower is a great beard prep. Another option would be to build some proto-lather on your face. Some guys use Noxema or the generic brand. Hot towel?

I have tried not using it and my neck doesn't agree with that decision haha.

Bed Bath & Beyond carries both Pacific Shaving Company Shaving Oil and Somersetts Shaving Oil. Both about $7 or so and both pretty good.

I've tried and like Jack Black beard lube and Proraso pre shave cream. But since I have started doing a pre shave wash with a good soap (in my case L'Occitane's soap for men) followed by hydrating for a minute with a warm wet wash cloth I really don't need them any more.

My current recipe

1 part extra virgin olive oil
1 part castor oil
2 parts grape seed oil
A few lavender and peppermint essential oil drops
super cheap and works great.

I use Cetaphil as my preshave. I find I get closer shaves and my skin feels better post shave. Sometimes I don't even need an ASB, depending on how long ago was my last shave.

anyone out there had used anything else or had any other ideas for a cheap pre-shave oil that would be easy to find?

Been making my own for over 8 months now....

I got a bottle of Vitamin E oil in the dollar isle of my grocery store. I got a bottle of hair conditioner, for a dollar, in, you guessed it, the same isle :)001_tt2:).....now, I am on my second bottle of conditioner, but, got plenty of Vit E left......I mix it in a 4 ounce plastic bottle that I got next door in the drug store.

So, my pre-shave oil, that I use 6 to 7 times a week, for the last 8+ months, has cost me $3.50.

Also, I am Very happy with it. The results, the smell, the feel....etc....That is what counts, to me.

Btw, YMMV :)001_tongu)

I tend to go back and forth between Noxzema and sunflower oil. They each work extremely well. Combined cost including the dropper for the oil was less than $10. I'm good on preshave for a couple years!

Last edited:
Shave Secret. Available at WalMart. MUCH cheaper than AoS, and I like it better. It's slicker and not as thick and goopy. (some love it, others hate it, but it's cheap enough to try without breaking the bank). It's actually meant to be a standalone shave oil (without soap or cream), but tons of folks use it as a preshave. Give it a try.

This works rather well and doesn't give you that oily feeling at all. Just be warned that the smell is a little different, but not in a bad way IMO. I've also used the Shea Moisture pre-shave oil which is available at Target, BB&B and some Walmarts.

My home brew recipe:
70% Aloe Vera Gel
30% blend of olive oil, glycerin and castor oil

VERY cheap, works like a charm, and doesn't give me the oily feeling after the shave at all (thanks to the aloe vera). Biggest reason I use pre-shave is because it adds an extra layer of protection, softens whiskers, moisturizes certain areas on my face that easily dry out (painfully so - especially directly under and besides my nose) and allows me to use soaps/creams that usually cause me irritation. This preshave concoction prevents any irritation caused by high fragrance oil content in creams or allergies I have to almond scented soaps.

Last edited:
Almond oil works well. In fact I don't notice a difference between it and either the AOS or eShave concoctions (both of which I have and use).

Vegetable glycerin isn't the same but it works as an emergency substitute and it's inexpensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom