What's new

Neck nicking

I've only been DE shaving for a little over a month but I had a similar problem. I would always nicked myself on the lower neck, or beside my adam's apple. I switched to a 3 pass WTG on all 3 passes, stretch the skin really good and switched to cold water for my shaves. The cold water relieves my skin irritation so no more bumps, no more nicks. It's not BBS, yet, but I do a few touch ups and it's 100x better than my M3 ever was.

Using a DE89L w/Astra SP.

Thanks, I'll have to try that to and see what happens. Changing the passes have helped a bit and I'm starting to put my razor in a cup of cold water after I rinse it off. I've noticed the cool razor doesn't rub against my skin as much as if I just rinse it off in hot water. Ummm... mentholated soap, Osage AS, and now cold water shave??? Might have to join the FFF group. :biggrin1:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Since you say the problem is on all three passes I'm guessing it's blade angle (but I have no experience with ingrown hairs and don't discount that possibility).

You may want to try shorter strokes - that worked for me. If you think about the top of the neck (just under the chin) down to the bottom you are definitely going to have to change the blade/handle angle to adapt to that changing curve. Less pressure is always good. If I'm getting too aggressive on the neck I think of shaving butterfly wings.

Since you say the problem is on all three passes I'm guessing it's blade angle (but I have no experience with ingrown hairs and don't discount that possibility).

You may want to try shorter strokes - that worked for me. If you think about the top of the neck (just under the chin) down to the bottom you are definitely going to have to change the blade/handle angle to adapt to that changing curve. Less pressure is always good. If I'm getting too aggressive on the neck I think of shaving butterfly wings.

Thanks. I'm definitely going slow and the area is about an inch or so long so the strokes are short. What do you mean by shaving butterfly wings? I haven't come across that yet.

Hi All,

Just an update. I think I have it figured out and haven't nicked my neck for a week now. I think it was a combination of blade angle, not tightening the skin as much and how I had my head turned. I noticed that when I was shaving the right side I had my head and neck turned one way but when I went to shave the left side, I didn't turn my head and neck in the opposite direction. That seemed to take care of the problem. I also noticed my lower neck only likes to be shaved with the grain. It's not happy against the grain and across the grain is just awkward. Thanks again for all the advice, I greatly appreciate it. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom