What's new

The Pawn Stars Rick Harrison advertises One Razor by Micro Touch on TV

I can not speak of the razor, but as posted above a couple of times, HOORAY for no television! :thumbup1:

So when did you get rid of TV?

I don't say give up TV, like it's some kind of loss. Loosing TV, to me anyway, is like loosing tuberculosis.

I know a lot of folks disagree, and that's their perfect right.

It seems quite a bit of people had better luck with the quality of this razor then me. I picked one up two days ago at my local CVS there were only 2 left. One had been opened (looked returned), I got one that I could tell the doors were shut evenly. Out of the box it was clean impeccable not one dent or scratch. I checked the blade alignment and that's where the problem was.

One side of the edge was twice the blade gap of the other side and I knew this wasn't right. I returned it and headed to my local Walgreens. Ironically, two were left here one was opened and the other had very uneven doors. I might look for another one but so far I feel like just keeping away from this one.

Hi Guys,

That "Rick Razor" is a gateway drug for those who really want a good shave. I used a DE razor for the first time when I was 12 years old, it was my grandfathers. I was a multi blade user for many years and about 10 years ago I started using a straight razor and that became part of my permanent rotation, when I had the time of course. After seeing that funny as hell, Dollar Shave Club ad, it reminded me of the old DE razors. I started using a DE again about a year ago. I didn't buy a cheap one I spend a tiny but more and picked up a Parker 99R to start with I didn't know it was an aggressive shave but being a straight razor user it was no big deal. I still like my Parker but I've since started buy more and more and its truly become a passion. I've since picked up a Merkur 38C and a Edwin Jagger DE89 series and started buying Feather Blades by the Dozens. I've also picked up some vintage razors I have 2 1966 Gillette Tech travel razors which are kinda cool, a regular ball tip Gillette Tech which I think is from 1965, a 1956 Gillette Super Speed Red Tip which I love, and I'm waiting for a 1951 Gillette Super Speed Black Tip to be delivered today hopefully. As Soon as I get back from a trip I'm going to order a Vintage Flair Tip. Don't get me started on Brushes and having to buy Razor Stands.

Like I said, it's an addicting thing and I see no end in sight. Even with all of these razor purchases, I know in the long run I'm going to save a ton over using a cheapo (I mean quality not price) Fusion, Mach 3, 4 or 5, Quattro, Cinco or whatever gimmick they come up with next. And I'll still get a better shave even with a 50 or 60 year old razor.

Anyway this a sickness I'm happy to have (think it might be the shiny metal). That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for reading.

I'd love to hear stories about others who have this "innocent addiction".

It seems quite a bit of people had better luck with the quality of this razor then me. I picked one up two days ago at my local CVS there were only 2 left. One had been opened (looked returned), I got one that I could tell the doors were shut evenly. Out of the box it was clean impeccable not one dent or scratch. I checked the blade alignment and that's where the problem was.

One side of the edge was twice the blade gap of the other side and I knew this wasn't right. I returned it and headed to my local Walgreens. Ironically, two were left here one was opened and the other had very uneven doors. I might look for another one but so far I feel like just keeping away from this one.

It sounds to me like your hunting ground is the reject bin. While I don't deny that a new Gillette on the shelf from 1965 was a better razor than the Weishi, the Weishi isn't a slouch.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like your hunting ground is the reject bin. While I don't deny that a new Gillette on the shelf from 1965 was a better razor than the Weishi, the Weishi isn't a slouch.

I returned the one I got from CVS and went to two different Walgreens drug stores. On one Walgreens there were two left and one had uneven doors the other one had been opened. At the second Walgreens (talk about a huge coincidence) there were also two left! Both had uneven doors (not too extreme). I've had a few Super Speeds with slightly uneven doors but that didn't effect the blade alignment so I took a chance with one.

The one I have now is better then the one I had returned. I noticed one edge has more blade exposure then the other side. I ran across a Micro Touch One review on YouTube. The guy on the video literally adjusted the blade (the blade on his Micro Touch seemed to be slightly off). I decided to adjust the blade on mine and it actually seats very well enough to know that it will work correctly.

As you had mentioned, I don't expect vintage Gillette high end razor quality with the Micro. I have not used the Micro yet but it definitely feels to be on the mild side.

So when did you get rid of TV?

I don't say give up TV, like it's some kind of loss. Loosing TV, to me anyway, is like loosing tuberculosis.

I know a lot of folks disagree, and that's their perfect right.

I did not give up shows, but I gave up cable. The odd show here and there I'll download and watch at some point, but that's about it. As well I've not missed an episode of Coronation Street since 1997!

I just saw it a CVS for 19.99. I almost bought it just to try it out, but I can get a superspeed for that price. I think it is nice for people to get introduced to DE shaving but I wouldn't buy it.
Well, I have to confess. My wife and I were in the same CVS and she insisted on buying it for me. I tried it out and have to say, I would buy another one. I started using flare tips exclusively lately and this razor gives me almost the same results, just a little smoother. If anyone just wants to shave without having to order online, this is a great option. The $20 price tags isn't as bad as it seems. I got a nice stand with it and 2 packs of dorcos that my wife loves to use with her lady Gillettes, so nothing is wasted.

I agree that it's worth the $20 it costs in the store. I just wish it was in the shaving section instead of the "as seen on TV" section.

I was in an Albertaon's last night and I was pleased to see at least 10 cakes of VDH soap and a few VDH kits. But not a single DE blade in the whole store. And clearly no razors.

Just a tiny bit more mainstream would make me happy.

Last edited:
I just wish it was in the shaving section instead of the "as seen on TV" section.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I happened to run in to this on the shelf at Fred Meyer's. I didn't even know where the 'As Seen On TV' shelf was in the store and just happened across it while looking for something else in that area.

I do take into account what is being written here on the forum, I do distinctly remember, that during one episode , on an early season, a gentleman brought through a razor (old gold plated gillette with very ornate handle) to sell to Rick. He stipulated that it was worthless and will not be able to sell it in his store. Fast forward to 2013 its all Rick Harrison uses. As much as I am a fan of DE shaving and a fan of Pawn Stars the commercial rationale is quite evident.

I have used this razor twice now (shaving every other day usually) and it has given me as good a shave as any fusion or mach 3 blade has. I am new to using DE razors. I have been using a brush and soap for a while, though. I have heard a lot of back and forth on this razor and I know I have a ways to go for learning DE technique. For now I can at least say that it is a good razor for the price or, that at the very least, the cheapest DE razor is as good as the most expensive 5 blade cartridge, depending on your stance about it. At least I'm not getting the same redness under the neck.

Last edited:
This commercial also got me into DE shaving. Never heard of it before and started to search the internet and found this site and many others. I did not buy the razor since I'm not the one to buy "as seen on TV" products. A little before I saw this commercial I finally saw Gangs of New York with Daniel Day Lewis' character shaving with a straight and wondered if people still used them. Now I know and one day I will shave with a straight. Thanks, Rick.

Like many others, Rick's commercial alerted me to DE shaving. Once I learned online the MT1 could be store-bought, I walked to Walgreens and came back with one and a tube of Brut aftershave gel. That evening, I had the closest shave in years. Now I shave everyday and will not tolerate looking scrofulous.

I especially like how a DE easily obliterates encroaching sideburns in one swipe. Disposables and carts just aren't up to that task.

The MT1 is now used just for my final ATG pass, where its mild nature and light weight are fantastic assets. First passes are for my more aggressive 3 piece Ambroley.

My only dislike is the chromed wire stand. Chintzy. I would've prefered the travel case.

So thanks, Rick, for bringing this to my attention. Unfortunately, it is not enough for me to forgive you, your show, or shows about swamp people, lumberjacks, or cretinous fools driving on icy roads, for destroying what used to be the best cable channel out there.

...My only dislike is the chromed wire stand. Chintzy. I would've prefered the travel case.

So thanks, Rick, for bringing this to my attention. Unfortunately, it is not enough for me to forgive you, your show, or shows about swamp people, lumberjacks, or cretinous fools driving on icy roads, for destroying what used to be the best cable channel out there.
+1 on both counts

Wonder if the As Seen on TV store would carry them

Couldn't tell you if they do, but I can state with authority that Walgreens and CVS pharmacies have them in their "As seen on tv" sections of their stores.

I've since learned that the MT1 is a model sold under different names...and different prices. It is also known as the Weishi.

http://www.amazon.com/Weishi-9306-f...ie=UTF8&qid=1410447574&sr=8-1&keywords=weishi

And at that price, it is cheaper than what I paid for the MT1 at Walgreens. It also has the travel case, which I prefer over the wire stand.

Top Bottom