What's new

The Pawn Stars Rick Harrison advertises One Razor by Micro Touch on TV

I have been using the micro touch one for about 18 months to work cleanup around my beard, but i started going gray in the wiskers and decided a salt and pepper beard is not for me at 31, so i started shaving the whole face and decided that there had to be better out there. Thats how i ended up here a month or so ago. The MTO still works, but i have moved on to a fatboy.

So mine was the only one that exploded at first touch?

figures........

Nope, mine was falling apart as soon as I get it out of the box. I'm thinking it's a rip-off, I've heard Rick's razor is similar if not equal to Van Der Hagen's, but the one I got from ebay was almost plastic, very different that the VDH.

I knew it! Poor Rick is the victim of counterfeit cheap razors!

Mine was very plasticy also. Thin, and as light as a feather, which would explain the explodage when breathing in its direction.

I knew it! Poor Rick is the victim of counterfeit cheap razors!

proxy.php

Nope, mine was falling apart as soon as I get it out of the box. I'm thinking it's a rip-off, I've heard Rick's razor is similar if not equal to Van Der Hagen's, but the one I got from ebay was almost plastic, very different that the VDH.

There are a number of Wieshi models, from dirt ball cheap to pretty cheap. The first one I bought was a Weishi label, not an MTO. The second was a MTO. Both of mine are solid brass with chrome plate.

I wouldn't find it astonishing to learn the MTO brand has transitioned to a cheaper model in the lineup.

I got mine in July and it is one tough little razor. Since it was my first, I will keep it in the bullpen until it falls apart.

I started a thread on the MTO last week but it seems to totally have disappeared. I had given up on DE shaving after mostly bad experiences with 60 year old Gillettes that had belonged to my bride's grandfather. Recently, I picked up a MTO had a little small town hardware store. First shave with the included blades was not very good. I actually did not cut, nick, slice or otherwise bleed out but the blades just kinda sucked. Shaving WTG and ATG seemed to have very little effect. When I switched to a Super Platinum I got a very nice shave, almost BBS going all four directions. I'm currently using an Astra with similar results.
So, the shaves are pretty good and only the tiniest bit of bloodshed. That's a winner in my book. The MTO seems to be a bit less aggressive re: edge exposure?? Maybe? Whatever it is, I'm kinda liking it but.... did I mention that the included MTO blades suck?

I got a MTO a year or more ago and the only regret I have is the price I paid. It's my first DE so I really had nothing to compare it to, but it does it's job as advertised, even the blades that came with it seemed pretty decent. I just have to remember to take my time, and always have lather on when making a pass. I still keep some carts and disposables around for if I'm in a big hurry though.
I recently bought a like new late model Lady Gillette. I've used it a few times and have been experiencing burn and weeping like never before, so I'll be going back to the MTO until the next antique store find.
Even though I paid $20 for the MTO, I still feel like I'm ahead of the game now after not buying disposables for over a year. My work (and wife) require me clean shaven, and the cheap disposables tear me up.

W

Wildfireman

As a newbie to B&B, I've read about the MTO on here as well as issues some guys are having with it. I heard some word of mouth complaints as well. I noticed that the MTO, Dorco Prime, and a razor by Weishi, and one by Van Der Hagen all look identical and are about the same price. What I'm wondering is if one company is making these razors and the others are rebranding them or are they all making them on their own? I understand that they look similar to a vintage Gillette TTO. Would anyone have any info as to who is manufacturing these razors? Thanks!

As a newbie to B&B, I've read about the MTO on here as well as issues some guys are having with it. I heard some word of mouth complaints as well. I noticed that the MTO, Dorco Prime, and a razor by Weishi, and one by Van Der Hagen all look identical and are about the same price. What I'm wondering is if one company is making these razors and the others are rebranding them or are they all making them on their own? I understand that they look similar to a vintage Gillette TTO. Would anyone have any info as to who is manufacturing these razors? Thanks!

They're made by the Weishi company. The others are custom packaged by Weishi for them.

Weishi is one of the largest razor companies around, and they'll happily sell you engraved razors, powder coated razors, plastic razors, brass razors, good razors, cheap razors, you name your price point and they'll accommodate you.

The razor design is obviously excellent. It's Gillette's exact design. And in my mind a good Weishi makes the mark. Where Weishi falls down is QC. Most of the ones you see are decent razors. But it's up to you to check the final product.

Remember that Weishi has a true target market of the billions of people in SE Asia, not the niche market in NA or Europe. Their Quality program is based on expectations of a market that's more cost conscious than Walmart.

W

Wildfireman

Gotcha. Thank you for the info. I personally don't use the MTO or any of these other razors made by Weishi, but I did consider buying one several months ago. Instead, I bought a razor made by The Shave Factory at the local Sally's Beauty Supply franchise. Unfortunately, that was the only place here in this town of 51,000 people that was selling DE razors. I had not heard of the MTO at the time.
I will be replacing it with a Merkur 34C HD that I'm eager to try when it is delivered this week. Hopefully, my friends who are using the MTO will decide to try the Merkur or others such as Parker, EJ, and the like.

I was lucky to get a good MTO that has been a real workhorse as my first DE. I would definitely do it differently if I had known about the less expensive Weishi option, and if I really did it over again I might have selected a Feather Popular, but since SWMBO picked out the first razor I feel like I came out ahead.

I started with the wet shaving with this razor one month ago. Was at Walgreens and picked up one. (Addicted to the As Seen on TV section, ��) I have to say it is a nice razor so far and made my transition from disposables so easy.

Well I am new to both B&B and DE shaving. Neither one would have happened if not for a MTO at Walmart catching my eye. I brought it home and quickly started to shave like with my old cartridge which wasn't horrible but I did do a little blood letting. Before I was out the bathroom I was looking up videos on YouTube about DE razors and shaving. Thankfully I found mantic and his videos so the shaves got way better. After changing blades world of difference. All this led me to look through my grandfather's old stuff for any old razors. I found two and after looking up the info on the older one I am amazed to find out that it's a single ring gillette from 1906-1910 that was for my great great grandfather. I'm still trying to get help dating it for certain. If I can I will upload picts asap. I'm at work now excited to get home and clean it up since I know what it is. I'm also looking at getting a merkur progress soon to try that out. None of this would have happened if not for the MTO. It may not be the best razor by any stretch but it shaves well and is an eye opener into a world I never knew existed. And what a wonderful world it is. I'm proud to be a part of B&B thanks for having me.

Well I am new to both B&B and DE shaving. Neither one would have happened if not for a MTO at Walmart catching my eye. I brought it home and quickly started to shave like with my old cartridge which wasn't horrible but I did do a little blood letting. Before I was out the bathroom I was looking up videos on YouTube about DE razors and shaving. Thankfully I found mantic and his videos so the shaves got way better. After changing blades world of difference. All this led me to look through my grandfather's old stuff for any old razors. I found two and after looking up the info on the older one I am amazed to find out that it's a single ring gillette from 1906-1910 that was for my great great grandfather. I'm still trying to get help dating it for certain. If I can I will upload picts asap. I'm at work now excited to get home and clean it up since I know what it is. I'm also looking at getting a merkur progress soon to try that out. None of this would have happened if not for the MTO. It may not be the best razor by any stretch but it shaves well and is an eye opener into a world I never knew existed. And what a wonderful world it is. I'm proud to be a part of B&B thanks for having me.

I had an almost exact experience. Except for the awesome find, I've no such luck. I've since trashed my MTO, but I wish I'd hung on. I'm unsure my logic at that point, but now all I can think is that it didn't cost anything to keep it in the cabinet. Oh well. The MTO could very well be credited with the recent surge in old school shaving. Rick gave the retro shaving system publicly, so it has its place in the market. Even if the commercial is of more value than the razor itself. Congratulations, and as a fellow new member, welcome.

It was seeing this commercial that sparked my interest in buying a DE safety razor. I looked into it on Amazon and other sites, and I decided to get a Merkur 38HD, which I love to use. I bought the safety razor like so many of you, it costs a lot less then those over priced cartridge razors. Now, I'll never switch back. It is fun to try different brands of blades too!

A new MTO sighting. I went into a Love's truck stop in Arkansas, to clean up and shave. On the way out I spotted the MTO on the shelf. Not sure if it will be a permanent thing. Or if it is just more of the seasonal gift stuff. Either way it is still getting more exposure for de razors.

Top Bottom