What's new

The Pawn Stars Rick Harrison advertises One Razor by Micro Touch on TV

well thats not entirely true either Mac, barbers, butlers, and slaves usually shaved people, until world war one I don't think many men shaved themselves at all, the army and the availability of the DE was the first time most men began to shave themselves, in large numbers anyway, so a lot of men had to figure it out on there own then as well

My point really is that, whether they were shaving themselves or not, those people came into shaving with the expectation that it was something that they had to pay attention to -- that it was a skill they had to learn. Modern cart razors, on the other hand, have made it so that really the only thing you have to pay attention to is not missing a spot.

well thats not entirely true either Mac, barbers, butlers, and slaves usually shaved people, until world war one I don't think many men shaved themselves at all, the army and the availability of the DE was the first time most men began to shave themselves, in large numbers anyway, so a lot of men had to figure it out on there own then as well

Well, can understand your reasoning, but it is not entirely true. It seems that we have been self shaving for a while since 1762 to 1901 there was self shaving..

From my CD copy of " Before Gillette: The Quest for a safety razor- inventors and patents."

excerpt one:

$Before.JPG
Two:

$waits2.JPG

Lol the best bits of history conversations always end up inthe oddest of places for some reason

I wonder how long Rick has been Lurking on B&B ?

Also since he has the fame and money I can see why he jumped on the opportunity, If he was a real DE Shaver I think he would of been on here with good input. I would Rather See Stan or Tradere Owner Even Weber owner with this kind of Opportunity who have earned it and have heard us DE Shavers wants and needs. I Really don't think he is in it for the DE saving money thing, He is most likely in it for the money. Just my two Centavos.

I wonder how long Rick has been Lurking on B&B ?

Also since he has the fame and money I can see why he jumped on the opportunity, If he was a real DE Shaver I think he would of been on here with good input. I would Rather See Stan or Tradere Owner Even Weber owner with this kind of Opportunity who have earned it and have heard us DE Shavers wants and needs. I Really don't think he is in it for the DE saving money thing, He is most likely in it for the money. Just my two Centavos.
He most likely and definitely did it for the $$$$

I received another postcard stating that the razor was on “back order” and that my order would be automatically canceled and my money refunded unless I contacted their customer service group.

The cynic in me wonders if they are either didn’t get enough orders to justify a production run, they didn’t get enough orders to buy inventory at the price they wanted, or that they never had any intention of shipping and were merely keeping the money as long as they could for the interest it generated in a bank account somewhere. The optimist in me wants to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I’m going to keep the order active, perhaps out of morbid curiosity more than anything else.

No doubt they did not anticipate the number of orders that rolled in via the magic of television advertising.
I'd wager that the new inventory is being held up in transit/customs.

If you do the math this isn't really that great of an offer, but 20 bucks isn't very expensive anyway, they tell you that you get 24 free blades, but when you go to the website you find out that you have to pay an additional shipping and handling fee for the 2nd set of 12 blades.

Last edited:
I received another postcard stating that the razor was on “back order” and that my order would be automatically canceled and my money refunded unless I contacted their customer service group.

The cynic in me wonders if they are either didn’t get enough orders to justify a production run, they didn’t get enough orders to buy inventory at the price they wanted,

I think you are on to something with that thought. The cost of the razors and blades per unit will be next to nothing for them, their real cost is the marketing. But to get the goods for next to nothing, they will have t buy a whole lot of them.
If they do not get enough orders to buy enough to make it feasible, then they may back away.
We will find out shortly, if they stop running the commercial we will have our answer. Not many TV retailers are so quick to give customers such an easy way to back out of a sale though.

Believe it or not, but that commercial made think of my dad. With my interest peeked, I decided that I wanted to change from disposable razors to the DE that my father used when I was a kid. I couldn't remember the name of the razor on the commercial, so I googled safety razors. Read a few pages, found amazon, which had a Merkur 34c. It got godd reviews, and was highly recommended as a beginner razor. I ordered it along with a badger brush, stand, proraso cream, and after shave. I get my razor Friday. So that commercial led me to the world of wet shaving, though I ended up not buying the exact product.

Believe it or not, but that commercial made think of my dad. With my interest peeked, I decided that I wanted to change from disposable razors to the DE that my father used when I was a kid. I couldn't remember the name of the razor on the commercial, so I googled safety razors. Read a few pages, found amazon, which had a Merkur 34c. It got godd reviews, and was highly recommended as a beginner razor. I ordered it along with a badger brush, stand, proraso cream, and after shave. I get my razor Friday. So that commercial led me to the world of wet shaving, though I ended up not buying the exact product.

Big Congrats !
You started off with some nice gear.
Sounds like the subliminal message will possibly be the best thing to come from the commercial? But, I will digress until mantic gives his review.

I know there are threads where members talk about the negative, or empty response they get from co-workers, but, my experience is just the opposite. My co-workers are always on the look-out for traditional shaving stuff, whether straight or DE, and tell me about it.

Recently, one of my bay-addicted :)lol:) co-workers bought me a marble shave stand and mug at an estate sale. Didn't tell me what she paid for it, she just got it for me.

She and I don't cross paths with our shifts too often, but, saw her tonight, and she was Electric with the news that she saw this commercial, she was Really Into It!!

So, even some non-wet-shavers have noticed.

Top Bottom