What's new

The Pawn Stars Rick Harrison advertises One Razor by Micro Touch on TV

I picked one of these up because my Walgreens right down the street had the gift box. It is nice and certainly does the trick. Is it the best? No, it needs more weight and the blades are crap. Ordered some feather blades and I like using it well enough though. Regardless it is better than any regular modern razor!

It was my first DE. It has since been replaced by a Merkur 34C. I tried it again after using the 34C for some time and I almost threw the MT1 in the trash. It just felt awful. I will keep it as it was my first but will never shave with it again.

It was my first DE. It has since been replaced by a Merkur 34C. I tried it again after using the 34C for some time and I almost threw the MT1 in the trash. It just felt awful. I will keep it as it was my first but will never shave with it again.
Try it again after 6 months or a year and you might be surprised.

Looks like they are the Golden dollar of the DE world. A OK simple tool at a OK price point to get you started. I use the blades as I like dorco blades when I use a de. But then I usaly use a straight.

Looks like they are the Golden dollar of the DE world. A OK simple tool at a OK price point to get you started. I use the blades as I like dorco blades when I use a de. But then I usaly use a straight.

As I understand, the Gold Dollar is not usable until it has been reworked with a good hone job. Also, AFAIK the Gold Dollar is a fraction of the price of the cheapest shave-ready straight. The MTO matches neither of those conditions, though the RiMei A2003 matches the price point -- but still is shave-ready when you receive it, just load your favorite blade.

The Giant brand grocery store in my area (central Maryland) is now carrying the VDH razor, blades, luxury soap, and shave bowl/brush kit.

Prices were similar to Walmart except for blades and soap, which were a bit higher priced.

Agreed I too want to throw it however the lady has been using it and now she's complaining that it missed half of her leg. I guess it's time to get her a proper razor...

I have to say I saw this one at Walgreens here in Indy and went ahead and picked it up along with a Van der Hagen shave kit ( soap. mug and brush ). Pretty cheap start, less than 30 bucks, and am planning to build up to better things. Someone here sent me a PIF package of Stirling soap and some Gillette Blues but I was antsy to get started. So far I've shaved 3 times with the MTO and it does a decent job. Seems to made for ultra beginners. Have had no problems with nicks at all but it might work out to be too mild a razor for me. Using the 3 pass method I got a very smooth shave on my face but my neck is still fairly rough. I do have a lot of bumps on my neck so was afraid to use pressure for fear of cutting my neck. That might just be the fact that I'm new to wet shaving and haven't gotten a good technique down yet.
Also, my first 2 shaves were with the Dorco blades that came with the razor, my latest was with the Gillette Blues and this last shave did not feel as close as the first 2. But, again that could just be my technique more than the blades. Even though it's fairly cheap, the VDH soap felt pretty good. After this latest shave I was able to get a really nice lather going. Have yet to try the Stirling soap but it smells great. Am also still waiting for Garry's Sample pack to arrive. Am curious to see how the old Gillette that comes with it will compare to the MTO as well as the soaps and other stuff.
I will say that just after 3 shaves my face and neck feels great and is starting to look better as well. While my neck still feels a little rough, there aren't as many bumps and it doesn't feel as sensitive as it was before.
Someone much further up commented that the Micro Touch might work out as a gateway drug for new shavers and I am inclined to agree. While it wasn't the thing that got me interested in DE shaving, I was aware of the commercials and that kind of contributed to my impulse buy.And it's not a bad way to go in the beginning.I bought the VDH shaving kit, the MTO razor and some good old Aqua Velva for around 35 bucks at the local drug store.
All that for just a little bit more than the cost of a pack of multi blade cartridges.

This razor converted me, even though its not the best it will stay in my den just for that reason... And every once in a while I'll give it some love as well

I'm thinking I'll buy a couple case lots of these things, Put em in the closet, and in (add your years here) then my kids can sell them NOS with case and blades!

I'm thinking I'll buy a couple case lots of these things, Put em in the closet, and in (add your years here) then my kids can sell them NOS with case and blades!

If you want them to become collectible I recommend the MTO package, too. A case of Weishi razors would cost less, but I doubt it would attract attention in (add your years).

I was also converted by the MTO, the razor is Ok nothing special, the blades were not very good, but for me the most important value was that it opened up a new aspect of shaving for me, now I dedicate more time to the shave, I wash my face with a nice moisturizing soap, take my time choosing my razor and blade combination, decide what soap I will be using today, take my time doing two or three passes, then picking what post shave or after shave I will use. Making time for myself. My time. That was the most important thing the MTO brought to me.:thumbup1:

The micro was the first safetyrazor I bought a year and 1/2 ago, I have bought 7 different razors since then. The micro is in the drawer and will never be used again.But it got me started on shaving with a safetyrazor.

I've got one of those razors. 2 months... maybe 3 now. Being my first DE. I really don't know different from other razors. I now have the technique mastered; although I just did my head for the first time today and removed 90% of the skin on my scalp.

Other than that I've enjoyed the razor. The blades that came with it work well. I have tried samplers of other brands. I hate Shark blades and really prefer the Dorco blades that came with it. Even over Feather blades. $8 per hundred so better value on the Dorcos. I never cut myself once. I suppose you could say the razor isn't too agressive. I like it. The weight; balance and short handle are perfect for me. Sorry about the punctuation errors. My comma key doesn't work; due to kids using this laptop.

Just saw a banner ad for the MTO right here on B&B.

$20150401_140951.jpg

been wet shaving for 3 months, first week was the MTO, then found a futur locally, and a fatboy online and havent used the MTO since. decided to use the MTO today just to see how it would shave now that my technique has improved. loaded a fresh dorco (came with the MTO) used my first brush, the wilkinson sword found at walmart, used wilkinson sword soap, no special prep, and had a really good shave!!!! used an alum block after, and no irritation. finished with nivea sensitive after shave balm. going to put this razor into the rotation, nice mild shaver.

Bought one just to check it out, shaved one time and it was ok. If i'm gonna use a TTO it will be my 53 Gillette Super Speed..

Walking in Walmart in Williston, ND last night, and I noticed the MTO and replacement blades now live on shelf in the shaving aisle.

Like many "finds" in a pawn shop, the MTO is an OK way to find out about an item you know little about. People who buy this thing on TV or through some mass marketer might later be just curious enough to Google "double entry razor" --- and then almost certainly find Badger & Blade, discover much better razors and blades, and maybe even join us on the forum.

Anything that gets people away from cartridge razors... is good.

I wonder though about a place like WalMart. Surely they must notice that every time they sell an MTO package, that customer never comes back to buy another box of super expensive cartridges. For WalMart, it's a sales volume killer.

I just love that.

Top Bottom