What's new

The Pawn Stars Rick Harrison advertises One Razor by Micro Touch on TV

This was my 1st DE razor with new ones on the way now. I have not been happy with it, lots of irritation to my neck. I had already been considering a DE when I bought it, the justification was the money back guarantee, I figured worst case I send it back. The others I had researched seemed like an expensive risk for something I might not like.

The shave to my face was good but the neck really got torn up so I stopped using it for a long time. i'm sure some of that was technique and still using a shave cream (at least it was nivea sensitive).

I've been working on technique, started using a soap and brush, as well as using a pre-shave oil I made (nary a drop of blood since!) and an after shave oil I also made. I upgraded blades from the Dorco's and it's a better shave than what I was getting before. Now I have a Merkur 25c on the way and a Feather Popular also on the way. Looking forward to further improvements to my experience and maybe even trying a straight blade some day!

This was my 1st DE razor with new ones on the way now. I have not been happy with it, lots of irritation to my neck. I had already been considering a DE when I bought it, the justification was the money back guarantee, I figured worst case I send it back. The others I had researched seemed like an expensive risk for something I might not like.

The shave to my face was good but the neck really got torn up so I stopped using it for a long time. i'm sure some of that was technique and still using a shave cream (at least it was nivea sensitive).

I've been working on technique, started using a soap and brush, as well as using a pre-shave oil I made (nary a drop of blood since!) and an after shave oil I also made. I upgraded blades from the Dorco's and it's a better shave than what I was getting before. Now I have a Merkur 25c on the way and a Feather Popular also on the way. Looking forward to further improvements to my experience and maybe even trying a straight blade some day!

Could be right? I've shaved with some Barbasol and a DE and it's a horrible experience for me. Good News though is fine with canned stuff. I bet the right good blade with that Feather will be wonderful, at least I know it will be miles ahead of a Dorco in a Weishi!

Since you are getting good shaves on your face, but torn up on your neck, it's likely that your blade angle is pretty close. The problem with your neck is likely the path your shaving stoke follows. If your neck hair grows sideways, and your first pass is downward, then it was across the grain rather than with the grain. This and too much pressure is a recipe for razor burn and weepers. Too much pressure on your neck is also common for beginners. Since your neck has lots of curves and hollows and the base of your neck is wider than the top, it takes a lot longer to get good technique for your neck. Especially since the flesh is softer than your chin, so even a tiny bit of pressure causes the razor to dig deep.

Personally I think the micro touch one is a much better razor than the feather popular. The MTO shaves 95% as well as my vintage Gillette super speeds - which as renowned for their good but forgiving shaves. The MTO's major shortcoming is that it is so mild, that four passes are needed for coarser beards- with sharp blades like Astra's. The Dorco blades are very mild. So the MTO with Dorco's may need and extra pass.

With a mild razor and sensitive skin- do 2 with the grain passes, plus 2 across the grain passes (each from a different direction) before 1 against the grain pass (skip the ATG pass for extra sensitive areas). Going across the grain or against the grain before the stubble is short enough is a sure way to get lots of razor burn.

The merkur 33 or 34 razor will be a little more aggressive, so the technique issues I listed above will be even more critical. However, a more aggressive razor will shave closer with the same number of passes.

Saw the ad again and I still say you can go out and find a real good vintage one for less money and get a great shave.

The Meijer stores in my neck of the woods put the as seen on TV section in the strangest places. My primary one has them in the cooking supplies section, one between toys and tools. Wally World is almost as erratic.

I agree that it's worth the $20 it costs in the store. I just wish it was in the shaving section instead of the "as seen on TV" section.

I was in an Albertaon's last night and I was pleased to see at least 10 cakes of VDH soap and a few VDH kits. But not a single DE blade in the whole store. And clearly no razors.

Just a tiny bit more mainstream would make me happy.

Was the last one and on clearance 50% off. Couldn't help it!
$IMAG1895.jpg

My wife bought me one of these as a gift - my first new razor in years. I used it with some Omega croap and a Shark Superchrome blade this morning for the first time.

My initial impression is positive. A nice mild razor with some heft to it, and it paired nicely with the Shark blade. I'll save the Dorcos for a more aggressive razor.

Update I switched to a Feather Popular as I got them in for my shop and I find it to be a much better product. I get much less irritation to the neck even utilizing the same blades (feather yellow box)

The MTO appears to be the Weishi 9306- which is heavy, all brass and chrome plated. It's Weishi's best by a wide margin. Personally, I find the MTO to shave almost identically to the 1950s Gillette flair tip. The head contour, agressiveness, weight, and handle size/feel are the same.

Weishi also makes versions that look the same, but are lightweight aluminum, and a mid weight zinc alloy (ie pot metal) version. They are much cheaper, and not nearly as good of a shaver. Sally's beauty supply sells the lightweight one for $9 if you want to check them out in person.

I looked at one of these at Walgreens and it had Ricks face on the box, I took it out of the box and I am no expert but what a piece of crap, felt like it was made of plastic.

I looked at one of these at Walgreens and it had Ricks face on the box, I took it out of the box and I am no expert but what a piece of crap, felt like it was made of plastic.

I had two MTO razors. One had a very wide blade gap on one edge, the second one had a lot more blade exposure on one edge. I got a Weishi 9306-E ($12) that came with a plastic case. This 9306-E is described as being made of "noble cuprum metal." The Weishi is in a matte finish, it too has several quality control issues. At least for $12 I am not expecting much lol.

$wkgyvd.jpg

Interesting. I have 2 MTOs - both are perfect in terms of alignment and finishing. The TTO axle is a little looser than my vintage gillettes so they don't feel like a precision machine when you open and close them - but they always lock up tight and even. No lazy doors etc.

Both of mine were purchased direct from the importer - one in Nov 2013 and one in Jan 2014. Maybe quality has slipped. I checked out the VDH razor in my local target store in June, and it didn't seem to be as high quality as my MTO. I think they are both Weishi 9306s though.

I also remember 2-3 people saying they got the last one at their local store this summer and it had alignment issues. One was missing some packaging and may have been returned though.

i picked up 1 of these on ebay 17.00 the guard was formed all the way in the mold i guess. they send me another one it is very thin on the butterfly also the middle of the handle is plastic only the bottom and top are metal weshi a lot better for the price on the upside i got 2 metal stands

i picked up 1 of these on ebay 17.00 the guard was formed all the way in the mold i guess. they send me another one it is very thin on the butterfly also the middle of the handle is plastic only the bottom and top are metal weshi a lot better for the price on the upside i got 2 metal stands

Plastic? i'm afraid that these ebay's MTOs are fakes

The MTO is solid brass and chrome plated. The metal on the doors and baseplate is approximately the same thickness as the 1950s Gillette flair tip super speed. The handle is slightly thicker, so it's slightly heavier though.

Here's the weights and lengths for the MTO, some gillettes, and the weber.

40s SS blacktip with steel handle: 47 gm
MTO (Weishi 9306): 57 gm
LC NEW with 3.25" solid brass handle similar to the ball end tech handle: 69 gm
Weber PH Bulldog: 98 gm

3.25" solid brass handle similar to the ball end Tech handle: 40 gm
3 1/8" Weber bulldog handle: 67gm

SS handle: 2 3/4" x 3/8"
MTO handle: 2 7/8" x 7/16"

Apparently I'm behind the times. I just saw this razor in Wal-Mart today. It caught my eye from across the aisle since it was so out of the ordinary to see a DE safety razor in a retail store.

I, too, thought it looked similar to a super speed.

I finally saw the advertisement on TV last night in Pittsburgh. The guy doing the demonstration obviously had no blade and an angle that would give horrid razor burn. And probably canned goo for several takes.

But it sells razors.

I also noted a VdH branded Weishi on the regular shelves - not the "TV" section - in a Walmart in NC this last week. There was even a spot on the shelf for blades, but the blades place was sold out. Good thing I guess.

Top Bottom