What's new

The Pawn Stars Rick Harrison advertises One Razor by Micro Touch on TV

I just have to wonder how many people have seen the MTO commercial and never did buy an MTO itself included.

I would be one of those people....I saw the commercial and thought, yup that looks like the best way to shave, but I didn't buy that razor as I figured it would be really low entry level, and I wanted something better.

I would be one of those people....I saw the commercial and thought, yup that looks like the best way to shave, but I didn't buy that razor as I figured it would be really low entry level, and I wanted something better.
That's how it worked for me as well. I saw the commercial and went to the site, but instead of buying, I started researching and looking on Amazon for razors and watching youtube videos. Ended up settling on the Merkur 23c as my first DE razor. But I do credit that ad for getting me into DE razors. Was using a Gillette Fusion Proglide.

Between this ad on TV and the posts on my FB page for the dollar shave club; is what triggered me to research cheap alternatives to the High tech multi-blade cartridges. IMO the timing is right for a movement back to wet shaving. Most guys do not like shaving but if you work in an office whether a professional or business casual environment good grooming is always in style. The other thing is that there is a more environmentally friendly aspect to this type of shaving. Let's also remember that today's younger men are looking for better ways to take care of their skin etc. The metro-sexual movement combined with the idea of pampering yourself with natural based products are what is attracting renewed interest in this hobby.

Just got mine from my wife she got me for valentines day, it just got here. Pretty nice little case. I'll try it tomorrow. Anyone know how the dorco blades are?

Dorco blades are just fine. You'll find some praise and some damnation, like with most blades. I've never had a bad shave with them, but YMMV as always. Good luck!

Dorco blades are just fine. You'll find some praise and some damnation, like with most blades. I've never had a bad shave with them, but YMMV as always. Good luck!

Thanks! I have a bunch of vintage gillettes but my wife wanted to get me this cos she knows I collect them!

dont forget to let us know what you think of it when you get around to trying it

Well I gotta say I couldn't get a good judgement on the razor because I used Bath and Body works shave cream (not the Bigalow one) and it is awful! It is so bad. It says it can be lather by brush or hand but it's terrible. Could not build up a good lather, I usually use VDH soap and its so much better. This has kinda put me off using creams! But I will say that the good parts of my face are great, very smooth and a close shave. I will use VDH tomorrow and report back.

She's a Keeper!! :thumbup:

100%.

I saw one of these razors at my local Walmart and it looked cheaply made to me idk if it is a good razor or not but maybe worth a shot

I think the MTO was a decent start for me. When you start driving you don't buy a Mercedes you get a clunker and upgrade as you go. The MTO is very mild which isn't a problem for me, I think this was on purpose to make it harder for novices to cut themselves so they wouldn't get discouraged. I think I will keep it and use it every few months to remember my start, but I will be purchasing a new one when I find the right razor. Over all, this is good for the DE Shaving Community as it exposes the practice to more people.

UPDATED REVIEW:

Alright last review I gave was based on using Bath and Body works Ocean shave cream which was horrible, wouldn't lather and gave no protection. I shave yesterday with my VDH soap and it was night and day. The razor is nice, feels pretty sturdy, the only thing is there's a slight rattle at the bottom, even when tightened. No big deal. The blades are Dorco's. And while they may not be as sharp as feathers, they're still pretty good. I would compare them with Derby's on sharpness level. I think this is a pretty good kit. Comes in a nice case and the blades also come in plastic cases with a disposable slot on the back. I think this would also make a good travel razor as it comes with a nice case. Overall, a really good product I'd recommend for your collection or for a newbie.

I have been looking locally for the Micro Touch since I saw it on the commercial and finally found one at the local CVS over the weekend. I am not planning on buying one, but they look to be a decent quality razor and it comes with a chrome stand. Try your local CVS if you are looking for one.

I have seen that in my local Walgreens that they already have the MTO razor in the as seen on TV section. While reading the earlier posts on the string, I like the idea that they have made this thing so mild that even beginners might like it. I am actually considering buying it and using it for a few times and then putting off to the side until my son gets old enough to begin shaving, then I'd hand this off to him to teach him the true art of shaving.

I actually picked one of these up for $20 at CVS, I had been wanting to try wetshaving for a while but didn't want to shell out big money for a new razor that I didn't like since I've tried every cartridge and electric razor out there. I used the pre-shave kit and cream that I got as a sample from AOS and after a bit of trial and error I ended up here. I don't have anything to compare it to yet but I have had such a great shaving experience with it that I will never go back to cartridges. No more razor burn, no more nicks. I'm so happy that I'm actually going to pick up 3 vintage schicks tonight from a craigslist ad. $30 for 3 vintage razors. I've also ordered some feathers and some Proraso soap to go with the new brush I got yesterday :)

Top Bottom