What's new

Dumb newbie tries the Sanguine with DE blade

Not wanting to go out and spend the big bucks on a straight razor I decided to buy the Sanguine, the kind where you insert half a DE blade.

Pure fear filled my hand. One stroke down, two strokes down, and then it happend...the mother of all razor cuts.

Is a "real" straight any easier or should I keep the Sanguine to refine my technique, which obviously I lack right now?

I recently got rid of my sanguine because I found a real straight to be not only easier, it was closer and more comfortable as well. That said, I think you had a fear-cut. I said it somewhere else. I should have just cut myself before my first shave, just to get the image of bloodspray out of my head. You should be able to get a good shave out of the sanguine, but you'll need a steadier shaving hand than with a safety razor. Nervousness doesn't help a steady hand.

I guess I would like to know what you think of as "the mother". Was it a "spray the mirror" type cut, or just the "grab the styptic pencil" variety? Hopefully, it was the latter. I never sliced my face up horribly with the shavette, I just got a lot more weepers and razorburn. I have had exactly 1 blood free straight shave so far with an actual straight, but I usually just have a small nick(or two) most of which occur on my chin going ATG. With every shave, I get a little better technique(with the great advice of the folks here) and a little more confidence.

Try practicing without a blade in the shavette just to build better technique and confidence. More than anything, you have to get past your own nerves. Once you have a few good shaves under your belt with it, the sanguine or a real straight should work a lot better for you.

Straights are easier and provide the best shaves. I keep a Sanguine in my travel kit for when I have to shave at work. I specifically use a Sanguine because it's a gentle shaver. It really isn't like a straight at all but I find that weight-wise it is similar. Sanguine does make decent straights which aren't that expensive and are easy to sharpen. You do have to hone them first and get a better strop than the one that Sanguine sells.
Ernest

It was a half inch cut, blood ran in a straight stream from the top of the cheek to the jaw line.

I first tried a a styptic...what a mistake. The sting was unbelievable. Still bled.

Next up was the yellow powdered "nick relief". The powder immediately congealed the blood at the surface of the cut into an ugly black mass, but about 10 seconds later the blood burst through.

It took 7 or 8 minutes of direct pressure and ice to stop the bleeding and then I wore a small band aid for a day to remind me of what an idiot I was.

It took about a week for the scab to was off. How's that for a cut?

When I was learning I had the tip of a square point dig into my sideburn area for about half an inch. That was terrible, I still remember the flap of skin... took like 2 weeks to heal up.

Tester

Don't give up on the Sanguine - it should give you decent shave and when you acquire some forged straights (which I bet you will!) it will be useful for travelling. I still use my Fromm shavettes for that. Just bear in mind that permanent or disposable, an open blade is an open blade. Be careful, respect the razor, and you'll be fine.

Graham

It's a disease...

Even though I gave myself a good cut I'm up for the challenge. I'll be back!

Real straight is definitely easier to use. But even real straight could be pretty scary to use. I remember my hands trembling at first. Of course, now, after a year, a straight feels like hand extension.

I've never used Sanguine but I have Feather (non-folding) and it gives close shaves but I end up cutting myself even now. Sometimes I just shave off pieces of skin. Not to mention problem with skin thinning.

I, personally, don't see a point of Sanguine. Real straight shave has a different feel. If you use a DE blade then why not use a DE razor? You sacrifice the convenience with no real benefit. If DE razor is not aggressive enough for you just get a slant.

That's precisely why I am a little weary of square and spike tips.

Don't be. Remember this- if you watch the ends of the blade the middle will take care of itself.

When I forget that the spike usually gives me a gentle reminder :a30:. Nothing that doesn't heal in a day or two mind you.

My first straight shave was with a Weck shaper. My 3rd or so was with a real straight. I've had a couple slices- nothing "flap of skin ish" so far. Still have a minor scar on one side from the worst one- but it's real light now.

If you're comfortable handling a really sharp knife (like a good kitchen knife) or honing your own blades, there's no reason to be scared of a straight, or a point.

I have had RAD for several types- the Weck, several real straights, a Monseigneur Charles (uses injector blades), and now a Feather AC.
The best shave went from a DD Satin Edge I honed, to a Dovo Lynn Abrams honed, to my Feather. When I'm more confident in my technique It'll be back to the real straights and honing.

The benefit of not having to worry how sharp your edge it with a DE blade is nice, but personally I think the thin edge of the DE blade is harder to get to work- I have never used a DE blade type straight tho.

It was a half inch cut, blood ran in a straight stream from the top of the cheek to the jaw line.

I first tried a a styptic...what a mistake. The sting was unbelievable. Still bled.

Next up was the yellow powdered "nick relief". The powder immediately congealed the blood at the surface of the cut into an ugly black mass, but about 10 seconds later the blood burst through.

It took 7 or 8 minutes of direct pressure and ice to stop the bleeding and then I wore a small band aid for a day to remind me of what an idiot I was.

It took about a week for the scab to was off. How's that for a cut?

Wow! That's a cut!

Top Bottom