What's new

Quick Review of Fether AS D2 vs D1

Hi Guys,

Just spent some quality time with my new AS D2 and wanted to put down some words for those considering taking a gamble on an AS razor.

Both razors immensely impressed me as I transitioned from a Merkur Futur.

In terms of finish and ergonomics I instantly was awed by it at first sight/touch. Not that the Futur was bad in any sense of the word. But the balance and grip of the Feather was just that much better IMO that I instantly knew I had made the right decision in purchasing one.

As for the shave of the AS D1 it is very easy to achieve a gentle shave and is virtually impossible to cut yourself with.

In terms of blades, as individualistic as preferred blades can be, I found Feather's to be the most efficient and unusually forgiving. Other blades tested included Reds, Astras and Derby's (the usual stable). Now in order to achieve a BBS shave with an AS D1 it does require the user to adopt changes in their technique as a shallower blade angle (approx. 20 degrees rather than the usual 30, you should feel the curved head of the razor across your face rather than the safety bar) must be maintained. I found using the faceting technique to be the most helpful (dividing into flat spots) as this allowed me to adjust the angle accordingly. I would achieve BBS shave in 3-4 passes with a touch up under the chin.

To sum up what I loved about the AS D1

- Very comfortable shave
- Incredibly forgiving
- Blade head completely covers the full length of the blade so no risk of nicking your nose etc.
- Allowed me daily BBS shaves with little to no irritation

Now the AS D2 has all that and a bag of chips!

It is an incredible razor! Everything I loved about the AS D1 has been wrapped up in the AS D2 and then some. It still has that incredibly smooth forgiving shave but is just that more efficient in achieving a close BBS shave. I can now do what I was doing before in 2 focused passes with a touch up pass.

The head design I noticed is slightly different and IMO allows the razor to glide slightly more freely across the skin. In addition soap is removed more easily from the head of the razor and doesn't clog as easily.

The blade is also held more snuggly courtesy of deeper blade guides in the head and the angle of cutting is more natural with a wider range of cutting effectiveness. I also feel the weight of the AS D2 is slightly more (haven't weighed it yet) adding additional feedback to an already perfectly balanced samurai sword esque razor.

Lastly if you have a chance to own either razor (good copy of the AS D1) I feel that you will be deeply satisfied. I think the AS D1 is also a great razor but the AS D2 is just the next natural evolution.

Attachments

• $Feather cutting angle.jpg
    $Feather cutting angle.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
No offense, but I'm surprised anyone would spend $206+ on a razor. Even though I love feather blades and can only imagine that a feather razor would be an excellent addition.

No offense, but I'm surprised anyone would spend $206+ on a razor. Even though I love feather blades and can only imagine that a feather razor would be an excellent addition.
If you like it, it would literally be the last one you had to buy. It wouldn't develop plate problems. It wouldn't pit or corrode.

I am terribly cheap and see no reason to spend more than I need to. That said, over 10 years it is less than $.10 a day. If it is something you enjoy every day it is very, very cheap. Starbucks coffee on the other hand...........

brucered

System Generated
I have an AS-D1 (GOOD one) and love it. It was money well spent and looks and performs like the day I bought it.

So are you saying the AS-D1 has a more traditional cutting angle and no steep angle is needed?

I might have thought it was pricy till I used it....not now though.

@ Coffeesnob.....excellent review, thanks.

Nice review. I agree with your conclusions. The D1 is milder, and has it's place. I'm a big fan of the D2.

brucered

System Generated
if it in fact a good companion to my beloved AS-D1, this may just be the Post Sabbatical Razor Purchase I've been looking for.

I am happy and have all the vintage I want, nothing else modern catches my eye...I refuse to buy that other knock off guys Stainless Razors (I choose not to even mention the company name) and would gladly spend $170-200 for another Feather razor.

Amazing quality and craftsmanship with my first one and I would expect nothing less from the AS-D2

Last edited:
To each his own. There are only 3 things certain in my life: death, taxes, and no more Feather stainless razors. Ever.

To Brucered:

With the AS D1 from my experience to achieve the best stroke with the rzor (closest cut) the razor angle needs to be much more upright. So as you make a stroke you should be feeling more of the head of the razor rather than the safety bar. Whereas the AS D2 the degree of angles where is shave close are more relaxed and similar to other razors I have tried.

As for the price I agree it is insane. But funny enough its amazing how insanity becomes sanity if you experience something truly wonderful, namely a close stress-free shave!

brucered

System Generated
Thanks. My D1 shaves nice and I have no issues with the angle, but the D2 still intrigues me.

i don't mind paying for quality and Feather delivers.

I have both now, a D-1 and D-2 and agree with coffeesnob 100% I shaved a week rotating every day. Yes there is a difference, those 2 razors are the best money I have ever spent on shaving gear.

And I just happen to have 2 Grandsons so guess who will end up with them one day ?

Even if you didn't love it, it would be easy enough to recoup a great percentage of your funds. It seems obsessively high-quality in person....

Coffeesnob: I have an AS-D1 and love it. I also got one for my brother and he prefers much more aggressive razors. So I am going to sell his AS-D1, which has two shaves on it, and get an AS-D2 to use alongside my D1 razor. I like the idea of have a mild Feather and bit more aggressive Feather. I can shave daily with my AS-D1 daily with no issues. I've a tough stubble and sensitive skin; and the AS-D1 makes shaving a pleasure because it never brings about shaving rashes or ingrown stubble. It's really a joy to use. Thanks for such a good review of both razors and shaving angle with the D1 and D2.

Not a problem.

Funny enough I still love my AS D1 too. In my book even though they look the same, in use they are unique and have their own qualities. I am a daily shaver who looks to at least achieve a DFS shave but mostly shoot for a BBS as I just love the feel and look of it. I feel that if I wasn't using the feather it would look like I was being attacked by a wild badger, instead I just need a dash of Thayers and a smidge of GF skin food and I have zero redness, soft skin and a close shave that lasts the day.

+1 to everyone saying that the upfront cost of the Feather SS razors is outweighed by the design, efficiency, quality and durability that you are left with on your shaving shelf for the next several decades.

I would recommend anyone to try a Feather SS razor at least once!

Diesel: If you were to look into one I would recommend the AS D2 if you like a low to medium aggressive razor.

From my experience the AS D1 is the ultimate in delicate shaves. You would have to purposely have to try and cut yourself, to cut yourself! (even then it would be tough work).

Whereas with the AS D2 you still get the same irritation free shave but you may cut yourself without realizing it, as I did the other day on my cheek. I was shocked having come from the AS D1!

Personally I don't get the whole mild vs. aggressive aspect. To me if you are a daily shaver, and don't grow hair like a teen wolf both of these razors if used correctly shear through a 1-2 day growth without issue and provide a smooth shave. If you have a beard... well I don't have experience but have seen YouTube clips demonstrating its abilities.

The AS D1 requires stricter technique than the AS D2 but will achieve the same shave IMO. To be honest it's really a weighing up of price vs. not receiving a good copy of the shaver.

However the AS D2 is idiot proof for achieving a great shave and as I have shelled out the concededly large amount of money, IMHO :) is the BEST SHAVER IN THE WORLD! That's at least what I told my wife anyway. I believe any RAD has been cured and won't be purchasing any new razors, same can't be said for brushes though, which have cost me a fortune.

I am just about to PIF a Simpson emperor 3 Manchurian to my father for fathers day as his first brush with the AS D1! (I also have a Dovo 22mm silvertip that will eventually makes it way on here when I have enough posts to get into the market)

Fingers crossed the 23mm stainless steel PILLs European white badger I'm getting is my dream brush!

brucered

System Generated
I used my AS-D1 in anticipation of ordering an AS-D2 when the time is right.

Shave of the year. 3 pass, no issues, BBS and trouble free.

makes me wonder if I actually need an AS-D2....but want and need are two different things, right?

With a steady hand, a well made AS-D1 will place the Feather blade on the skin. I am not interested in removing more than hair, so this is good enough for me.

Top Bottom