What's new

My take on the I kon slant

I gave in and did something I said I would never do and bought an Ikon slant. I gave it a run tonight and have to say it looks and feels nice in the hand but honestly even after a 3 pass with some buffing to finish cannot tell the difference between a Merk or Hoffritz shave wise. In my humble opinion it does shave well but not $149.99 well I think this razor was over hyped and shilled to the max. Here are some pics for comparison of the Ikon, Merkur and Hoffritz. In the end I am going to stick with my Merkur a trusty guaranteed good shave every time for around $40.00.

$SS1.jpg$SS2.jpg$SS3.jpg$SS4.jpg

Glad to see a candid review. I'm going to pick one up...but I suspected, as you have proven to yourself, that it would probably shave no better than a 37C or 39C. Thanks.

Thanks for your honest opinion. I thought about getting it, but 150$ is a bit much. A Stainless Slant would be awesome but a Merkur Slant with 2 back ups is pretty cool too. Heck 150$ could get me some nice vintage slants as well :)

Nice review and pictures! There were two things that drew me to the Ikon Slant:

1) Stainless Steel (Durable)
2) 3-piece razor (Ability to use different handles)

Where did you get that handle it looks fantastic! Thanks for the compliment on the pics I finally built Home Depot spare parts photo box.

I bought an iKon slant head from a member here on B&B and will match it with a Sabi handle when it arrives. a better and slightly cheaper result for me!

Thanks for the review. The last like new Hofritz I saw sell on the bay was over $500! Even if its no better a shave than my Merkur slant at least it looks cool.

Nice pics, thanks for the review.

Nice review and pictures! There were two things that drew me to the Ikon Slant:

1) Stainless Steel (Durable)
2) 3-piece razor (Ability to use different handles)

These were the same reasons i bought the head, hopefully it will turn up soon!

Last edited:
The looks and durability are top notch. The lather really does not get stuck which is a huge plus for me, however I found the larger head a little too cumbersome for my tastes.

For me the fact that the Ikon is stainless is a very big deal and makes the $149 proper value for money. I just don't like the pig metal Merkur, Hoffritz, etc use for the heads. As far as the shave goes I and 4 shaves into it and I find it very close and smooth doing my usual 2 pass and a couple areas to buff. Thats just my take but I think the razor is a good value

I do not disagree with the OP. However, I never really expected the I-slant to eclipse the performance of the Merkur or Hoffritz slants, since those razors do an excellent job. My curiosity about the I-slant was not based on an expectation of superior performance. But I did want to have a stainless steel slant that had good heft and was not made of that lousy pot metal that Merkur favors. Also, I do not think the shaves are identical - to me the I-slant is a noticeably more aggressive razor that may be appealing to those more aggressive aficianados. Lets face it, how many of our purchases are geared toward meeting a real shaving necessity? When we have the bucks, or pounds or euros or Canadian dollars, we indulge ourselves, and I think the I-slant is a perfectly reasonable self-indulgence.

What I would also love to have is for Ikon to make a stainless steel Gillette Long Comb head on a bulldog handle.

I do not disagree with the OP. However, I never really expected the I-slant to eclipse the performance of the Merkur or Hoffritz slants, since those razors do an excellent job. My curiosity about the I-slant was not based on an expectation of superior performance. But I did want to have a stainless steel slant that had good heft and was not made of that lousy pot metal that Merkur favors. Also, I do not think the shaves are identical - to me the I-slant is a noticeably more aggressive razor that may be appealing to those more aggressive aficianados. Lets face it, how many of our purchases are geared toward meeting a real shaving necessity? When we have the bucks, or pounds or euros or Canadian dollars, we indulge ourselves, and I think the I-slant is a perfectly reasonable self-indulgence.

+1

What I would also love to have is for Ikon to make a stainless steel Gillette Long Comb head on a bulldog handle.

Perfectly put.

agreed - when you already get a smooth BBS from a Hoffritz or 37/39 Merkur from a 2-3pass shave, is it fair to expect a better result from the iSlant?

I like the hand feel, audible feedback and do feel it gives a slightly more aggressive shave. I wouldn't buy it for just the aggressiveness, but add in the feel, sound, looks and construction and I believe it is a far better razor than the Merkur and worth the extra cost.

Top Bottom