What's new

My latest high-end watch is a (gulp) SEIKO!

Yes, the same watch company (Seiko) that brought the world cheap quartz models in the 1970's - has a division (Grand Seiko) that rivals and exceeds the luxury Swiss and German manufacturers in every feature - including artistic expression, in-house movements, accuracy, tolerances, testing, etc. It may be a problem for some that it doesn't read Rolex, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Patek, etc - but for those like me who want performance, fit, finish and attention to detail - it's certainly a talking point for watch enthusiasts.

This Grand Seiko is a modern take on the company's 44GS, originally introduced in 1967, which pays tribute to Japanese design influence utilizing flat surfaces to play off of light and shadow.

The case is amazing, the face is supremely legible, and get a load of the blued seconds hand!

I also have an ultimate classic: an older Rolex Submariner 16610, so it is a joy alternating these two fine watches!

Last edited:
A Grand Seiko spring drive is on my wish list. My daily driver is a Black Monster. Even their sub $300 auto divers are great products.

Encountered Seikos and Citizens for the first time in Feb. '68 on Okinawa and they were probably the most for the money at that time and based upon experience and observation with Japanese motorized, audio, and video products; thought they would only improve in the ensuing years and they have.

Lucky you!! I wish I could afford one ... perfect marriage of technology and style!

Congratulations on a very fine watch :001_smile

Wow, truly breathtaking and a grail watch to be sure. It is a shame Seiko reserves some of its best watches for domestic (Japan) sales.

Wow, truly breathtaking and a grail watch to be sure. It is a shame Seiko reserves some of its best watches for domestic (Japan) sales.

That, and the fact that you have to send your watch abroad again for service.

I really love the Marine Master, but knowing the possible customs difficulties when sending the watch for maintenance, is one of the reasons that puts me off it ... the other reason is that it's just too expensive for me :wink2:

That, and the fact that you have to send your watch abroad again for service.

I really love the Marine Master, but knowing the possible customs difficulties when sending the watch for maintenance, is one of the reasons that puts me off it ... the other reason is that it's just too expensive for me :wink2:

Agreed. Have you considered a Seiko Sumo? A great diver at a fraction of the cost of the MM...

$NewSeiko002.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The public perception of Seiko that caused you to put that "(gulp)" in your thread title saved you a few thousand dollars.

You made a wise choice. The GS line are handmade in japan and their resale value cannot be beat.Also they seldom need repair. My musthave list includes a springdrive titan diver(drool) BTW there are several US authorised dealers ,Az fine time is a great place. They also have a cigar bar w/strippers(strippers,not sure)

Gorgeous looking watch! Value for money on the Grand Seikos has to be up there with the likes of Nomos and the like!

Excellent choice and a beautiful watch indeed. I have an SKX007 diver, an early 80's 7A28 quartz Seiko and a restored early 70's Seiko automatic that used to belong to my grandfather. Seiko is a great choice regardless of model in my experience.

Top Bottom