What's new

Those rare Valet razors

Update on my experience with the Valet razor and various blades:

Gem Blue Star, slotted and notched to fit: acceptable.
Valet blade, fresh out of the wrapper: bad.
Valet blade stropped 15 times, and then another 25 times, still bad.
Feather blade, fresh out of the wrapper, good.
Valet blade, honed with 3M micro abrasive paper with a home made honing guide, 5 micron and then 1 micron: acceptable.
Valet blade, further honed with 3M 0.3 micron paper, still only acceptable.

Note that my regular razor is a classic Gillette DE razor with any good blade, much less aggressive than the Valet. In that razor, a Feather DE blade is outstanding. By the same standard the Feather SE blade in the Valet razor is only good.

I guess the upshot is that Valet blades are usable only if honed, but not otherwise. I have yet to try stropping the honed Valet blade.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Update on my experience with the Valet razor and various blades:

Gem Blue Star, slotted and notched to fit: acceptable.
Valet blade, fresh out of the wrapper: bad.
Valet blade stropped 15 times, and then another 25 times, still bad.
Feather blade, fresh out of the wrapper, good.
Valet blade, honed with 3M micro abrasive paper with a home made honing guide, 5 micron and then 1 micron: acceptable.
Valet blade, further honed with 3M 0.3 micron paper, still only acceptable.

Note that my regular razor is a classic Gillette DE razor with any good blade, much less aggressive than the Valet. In that razor, a Feather DE blade is outstanding. By the same standard the Feather SE blade in the Valet razor is only good.

I guess the upshot is that Valet blades are usable only if honed, but not otherwise. I have yet to try stropping the honed Valet blade.

Interesting experiment, thanks for sharing. I have to say that I find feather rough so that's why I'm not a huge fan of the valet. The blade and razor is very cool but the shave itself does not seem to be for me. That's unfortunate I think.

Luc

Staff member
After a strange malfunction with Valet #1 I bought another valet off eBay that I received yesterday. Valet #1 blade stoppers broke when I tried to lock a despined GEM blade.

Valet #2 (made in England) was all right and took the blade no issues. Aggressive? Yes, BBS, yes! Better than Feather? Yes! I don't know if I will use this one on a regular basis but it was a good shave! I still feel like a second of inattention and I will nick myself. I never have that feeling with the 1912, Contour, PushButton, G-Bar or Injector.

I use an English made Valet often , it's a VC3 open comb with the little ears to hold the blade in situ, I also have one of each of the other types apart from the very first version...I can't get on with the Feathers or de-spined GEM's however I've found the blued steel versions of the original Valet blades to give a decent shave when well stropped, in fact the last blade I used I got at least 30 shaves out of it...I've since honed it but have yet to re strop and use it so it may well give more service yet?

Last edited:
After a strange malfunction with Valet #1 I bought another valet off eBay that I received yesterday. Valet #1 blade stoppers broke when I tried to lock a despined GEM blade.

Was that the one I sent you, Luc? Sorry to hear about it. Blade stoppers seem to be the bane of SE razors, and it is sad to think that breaking such a small part can make a razor useless.

Luc

Staff member
Was that the one I sent you, Luc? Sorry to hear about it. Blade stoppers seem to be the bane of SE razors, and it is sad to think that breaking such a small part can make a razor useless.

Unfortunately yes. Don't worry about it, considering how old the razor was, I reckon it was due. Specially if you push a sharp blade into the stopper each time you change the blade, eventually, the edge must dig inside the stopper.

Top Bottom