What's new

Feather Blades - How Many Shaves Do They Last For You?

Number of Shaves Does a Feather Blade Last For You?

• More Than Five.

Results are only viewable after voting.
How many shaves can you get out of a feather. Please also detail how many passes you have, your general prep procedure, razor type and if you consider your beard to be coarse / wirey or not.

If I push it I can get 2 shaves out of a Feather. But on second shave need to be very careful on the neck to avoid irritation. Optimal prep is a hot shower with a thorough face cleanse using Nivea face scrub. Then Proraso pre-shave and Proraso green. Razor Fatip usually. Do two passes. My beard is like a Brillo Pad.

Last edited:
2 Max. I truthfully only enjoy the first shave but the second still works. Which is why I prefer Gillette blacks. I cold water shave (as cold as you can get, I frequently add ice cubes) to the water for pre razor/brush soak. I use an R41 2013 with m89 Silvertip badger. Prep with face scrub w/ cold water, AoS pre shave oil, either TOBS grapefruit, castle Forbes lavender or lime, AoS sandalwood, or truefitt and hill Ultimatr comfort creams. I do wtg, xtg, atg passes 5-6 days per week. I have very coarse hair.

Last edited:
I almost always shave with two passes. Shower first, hydrate skin very well, partial bowl lather finish lather on face, EJ DE89, Merkur, Feather, Shavette, my beard is made of steel.

Definitely more than 5 shaves (more precisely 4 to 6 per edge). I have medium/coarse beard hair.
Procedure: shower - brush teeth - lather up - shave - clean the used blade edge with two sharp blows of water from a 20ml syringe (without needle of course).
It must be brushing my teeth what makes my blades last longer.

I get 4 x 3 pass shaves out of a Feather. Damn comfortable too. I use it with a pre-war FH Tech though, so not quite as aggressive as many razors out there.

Thick beard and I get 3, 3 pass shaves. I could scrape out a 4th but feel as though this is not really worth while, esp b/c my "nick/cut rate" skyrockets on the 4th shave.

-Badger Bill

Since I am used to trying to push a few extra shaves out of a blade, it varies a bit. I can get two, three and sometimes four shaves out of a single Feather. The novelty of Feather is that one is always changing blades every other day or so (YMMV). I love reaching for a fresh blade.

I do two passes, and I never use any blade more than 3 times. Feathers last all three shaves, and I could probably get 1 more out of them, but razor blades are so cheap I don't feel any reason to go more than 3.

I get 2 four pass shaves out of feather DE. I assume you were asking about the DE blades. Form the feather pro in my Cobra I get 4-5 shaves.

Feather? 1 great shave, and the second tears my face up, so 1 shave out of a razor that cost far more than it should.

I gave the rest I had away. I find my skin does better with an aggressive RAZOR and a smooth blade. Not a mild razor and an aggressively sharp blade.

I use a 2011 R41. I don't use Feathers everyday but when I do I toss them after 2 shaves. I love Feathers but not everyday.

Top Bottom