What's new

Slim Wallet Recommendation? Bellroy?

Glad to hear this. USPS managed to lose the wallet I ordered over three weeks ago. Fortunately Dave is a great business owner and is making up for the mistake of the post office by making me a replacement at no additional cost. Your post is upping my anticipation even more! Which one did you get? Logo or no logo?

I got the forest or green with the logo (that way I can remember to get another in a decade or to get one for a friend etc). Still loving it. Notice new nice touches all the time with this minimalist wallet.

I have a Slimmy. Love it. I had to reduce the number of cards I carry day to day (I can get 8 in it) and no longer carry coins but I love the simplicity of it.

Sorry to dig up the zombie thread, but this thread helped convince me to get a Big Skinny and I just wanted to share that it's awesome!

My old leather bi-fold was starting to cause hip pain from sitting on it, and taking it out of my pocket every time I sat at my desk or got in the car was starting to be an equal -- though more figurative -- pain in the butt. After transferring all my cards to my Big Skinny multi-pocket bi-fold, it was as thick as my old wallet was when it's empty. I can't feel the thing at all in my back pocket. Love this thing.

Sorry to dig up the zombie thread, but this thread helped convince me to get a Big Skinny and I just wanted to share that it's awesome!

I've had my Big Skinny hybrid for three or four months now, and I'm really happy with it. It's better made than I expected and exceptionally thin. Definitely recommended for anyone who is still on the fence about which thin wallet to buy.

Michael

I use one similar to this by Fossil. It's a few years older so they've changed the design a little but this is the basic concept. No fold, just some leather stitched together to give slots for cards and a bottle opener cash clip. I rarely have any cash, not by preference, I'm just broke, so I usually clip the wallet on my front pocket (wallet inside, bottle opener out) for easy access. I can easily fit four (that's right 4) forms of identification, 2-3 debit/credit cards, CCP, and a couple rewards cards all in it. Total thickness is about as wide as my thumb including the clip. Much better than the fat wad of leather and every piece of plastic that I've ever been handed at the mall to save a buck stuffed in my back pocket.
proxy.php

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just moved in to the All-ETT I received in the mail. Huge difference, at least initially. I'll see how it wears in, but very happy so far.

Have to admit I ordered a Bellroy Note Sleeve. I've been using a Mitchell's and while I like the way it looks, I'm somewhat annoyed by the cards being blocked by bills. I've also found pulling out a single bill isn't as convenient as a standard bi-fold.

I've realized that minimalist wallets are secondary to functionality for me. Read mixed reviews on Bellroy quality so we'll see. I doubt it'll be as well built as the Mitchell. The search goes on...

Did you look at the bigskinny? You get functionality and a minimalist design, but the look/feel is just OK (but that is also reflected in the low price).

I guess I'm sort of shallow too, I want it to look nice!

That is definitely a problem with the bigskinny. The original ones were much nicer. 3 or 4 years ago they changed the design. Now I just put up with it because it works and there's nothing else that's even close with respect to compactness without loss of functionality.

My experience is that even a slim wallet get bulky when it contains many coins.

My objection against slim wallets is that the coins compartment often looks like an afterthought. I prefer an efficient wallet over slim.

Fortunately my paper driving license was replaced by a small card this year; much more handy.

My experience is that even a slim wallet get bulky when it contains many coins.

My objection against slim wallets is that the coins compartment often looks like an afterthought. I prefer an efficient wallet over slim.

Fortunately my paper driving license was replaced by a small card this year; much more handy.

Coins are a tough one. I don't carry coins much. I mostly use a card and if I pay cash, it's typically for a service in which case I leave the coins as part of the tip. On the flip side, I'm usually scrambling if I need quarters for parking. My old car used to have a coin holder, but I need to find an alternative like a coin bag or coin pouch to keep in the new one. If I do end up with coins in my pocket, I throw them in a jar when I get home. Every few months (seem more and more infrequent as time goes by), I empty the contents of the jar and make coins strips that I then deposit in the bank. Have been doing that for more than 20 years.

That coins are not really considered a problem when designing a wallet can be seen from the "innovative" designs on kickstarter. I don't think I have ever seen one that attempts to optimize for coins. If I was going to carry coins, it would probably be in a separate coin pouch. Something like this:
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...ssories/Accessories/Deerskin_Coin_Purse/24971

Top Bottom