What's new

QED Two New Fragrances

Well, while everyone is asking, "Did you try this or that soap," please allow me the chance to say I have tried two new QED fragrances in the stick format. I need not extoll the basic QED soap, It is flat out excellent. If you haven't tried it, then you really owe it to yourself to give it a shot. As a matter of fact, I find it difficult to believe how close a shave I get with Charles' formulation.
So what are these two new fragrances? The first is the QED Vetiver. A really excellent, straight-out vetiver fragrance. No girly-boy (Thanks Arnold) scent here. Like it, nah. Love it, YAH! When you get the earthy smokiness in your nostrils, the testosterone begins to pound through your system! Watch out SWMBO! BTW, as a great finish to this soap, try completing the fragrance ensemble with a few sprays of L'Occitane Vetiver. That was the way I spent the "My Time" on Sunday AM.
Second new fragrance offering is the unlikely combination of Lemon and Cedarwood. For those of you who have experienced the Charles Tyrwhitt shaving cream fragrance, this is somewhat moreso! It makes a prouder statement of fragrance. Great scent. I found that I used the Tyrwhitt aftershave balm and finished the fragrance suite with some Akka Kappa Cedro! Talk about a fragrance delight! WOW I smell (and feel) GREAT!:tongue_sm What a way to start off a Monday morning!

Hey Ron,

Would you say the scent is similiar to the L'Occitane Vetyver? I know that people say that Vetiver EO is either love it or hate it...if it is similiar then I have to give it a shot...

I am placing an order with Charles this week and wanted to order a couple of soaps.

These are some that I was considering...what are your thoughts?

Special 218
P/TT/P
Pine/Cedarwood
Grapefruit/Peppermint
Bay Rum

These are the soaps I have from him...

Sandlewood
Lavender
Limes
B & B

Well, I am not Ron (I'm better, actually :cool: ), but I'll chime in. The grapefruit and peppermint is a must have. One of the best sticks. The Pine and cedarwood is also fantastic. In fact, I used it this morning. The P/TT/P is the single most cooling product on the market, bar none. It is like ice. Smells nice , too.

As for Vetiver, I have a shave stick from Charles on the way. I can tell you, though, that the pure EO (and creams like Salter) are quite different than things like the (lovely) L'Occitane Vetyver. It is very intensely smoky, grassy, earthy, stinky, etc. The colognes have other notes that balance (i.e. tone down) the pure EO scent. Will you love it or hate it? Only one way to find out....

Thanks Scotto...I guess with regards to the Vetiver, if I don't try it out, I will never know...and continue to wonder. So I guess I am going to add it to the order. I am also very curious of the Special 218...any thoughts?

I actually don't own the 218, but I have heard reports that many of the notes are similar to that in B&B (pine, etc.) I am sure someone else will chime in.

Okay, sign me up for the Lemon and Cedarwood! After growing into the Tyrwhitt cream, I can only imagine how good this stick will be.

As for a favourite stick, I unabashedly champion the Mocha Java. I am not much of a "food scent" guy in toiletries. This however is one happy exception. The synergy of the coffee oil and the cacao oil is an aromatic delight. The real treat though, is when you lather this up and apply it to your face. For me, there is no other stick in the QED line that matches it's lather. Mind you, I've not tried all the combinations offered but do have at least six different sticks so comparisons are valid. There is something about cocoa butter/oil and human skin that makes one ideal for the other. At least for me. Especially if you lather it the way I do.

Special 218? This is another stick I have and I must say that it is a very classy scent. Completely it's own though if forced to pick category, I'd have to say that it's "floral". Now let me add that it also is VERY complex and has so many differing layers of scents that it's hard to describe. Floral, muted spice, and other wonderful things. I neither know nor care what they are. I wish this were available as an EDT. I'd buy it in a minute. It is also a deep, dark blue colour. This with no added colourants. Just the EO's it's "scented" with. A real gem.

Regards, Todd

boboakalfb said:
Hey Ron,

Would you say the scent is similiar to the L'Occitane Vetyver? I know that people say that Vetiver EO is either love it or hate it...if it is similiar then I have to give it a shot...

I am placing an order with Charles this week and wanted to order a couple of soaps.

These are some that I was considering...what are your thoughts?

Special 218
P/TT/P
Pine/Cedarwood
Grapefruit/Peppermint
Bay Rum

These are the soaps I have from him...

Sandlewood
Lavender
Limes
B & B
No, not like the L'Occitane.. The L'Occitane has all sorts of things added.. The Vetiver is really a mid or base note. The QED shaving stick is 100% vetiver. Smells like: Earth and Smoke from a wood fire.
As far as your selections, all but the Bay Rhum. Why you ask? SWMBO doesn't like Bay Rhum, I don't get to use it, YOU don't get to use it!:lol:
Otherwise, they are all splendid scents..

Phog Allen said:
...SNIP...

Special 218? This is another stick I have and I must say that it is a very classy scent. Completely it's own though if forced to pick category, I'd have to say that it's "floral". Now let me add that it also is VERY complex and has so many differing layers of scents that it's hard to describe. Floral, muted spice, and other wonderful things. I neither know nor care what they are. I wish this were available as an EDT. I'd buy it in a minute. It is also a deep, dark blue colour. This with no added colourants. Just the EO's it's "scented" with. A real gem.

Regards, Todd
Ah! The touch of Blue Tansy, sometimes known as Moroccan chamomile! Great fragrance...

boboakalfb said:
Thanks Scotto...I guess with regards to the Vetiver, if I don't try it out, I will never know...and continue to wonder. So I guess I am going to add it to the order. I am also very curious of the Special 218...any thoughts?
I really like the Special 218. It has a bit more anise (licorice) scent and a bit less sandalwood scent than the B&B. It's an excellent compliment to Knize Ten.

Rik said:
I really like the Special 218. It has a bit more anise (licorice) scent and a bit less sandalwood scent than the B&B. It's an excellent compliment to Knize Ten.
I think that it will go on the top of my priority list for my next order to Charles. I just placed an order for Grapefruit/Peppermint, Bergamot, Vetiver, Pine/Cedarwood and Cedarwood/Lemon.

Funny you mention Knize Ten because that is a scent I have really wanted to try.

Well, I wasn't going to mention the blue tansy because I wasn't sure if it was really common knowledge but I remember it being mentioned when it came out. There is also a bit of a certain product known from the days of the trade caravans from the Mesopotamian area. I won't mention it aloud but I think the special in 218 would not be so without it. If this is indeed a compliment to Knize Ten, then that fragrance is absolutely on my "try" list.

Regards, Todd

Jestre said:
Excuse the stupid question, but how does one use a stick? Does one simply spread it on a la deodorant? Or?
Only if you are shaving your armpits!:001_rolle
Read this. If you wish, click on the Shaving Soaps Forum Search and search for Shaving Sticks. You'll find other articles that way also.

Jestre said:
So it is used in the same way. Thank you for that link!

Off to find the other newbie threads.
There are other techniques, but that will get you started and on the path to experimenting too! And you are certainly welcome for the tip and to the forum.

Wonder what it means that Ron and I are the first two to review QED Vetiver, and we're both Oklahomans? It must be our pioneering spirit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

QED Vetiver

It's a winner!

My box from QED was waiting for me when I got home. I lathered up with the vetiver and found it to be a woody, earthy, aromatic fragrance. It's certainly strong, but not nearly as sharp and bright as I expected it to be. It lacks the "iodine" note that Guerlain Vetiver has, and so to me it seems more solid and less edgy. It's very well grounded, if you'll pardon the pun.

If you're a patchouli fan, purchase this product without fear. If you like sandalwood and other woody/herbal scents, give it a try. You might expand your horizons a bit.

This also was my first experience with the shave stick form, and I was very surprised at the quality of the lather I got by applying the soap directly to my face, then lathering with wet brush. Total QED quality lather all the way.

Thank you to Charles for accommodating us with this product; during a time of discontinuations and reformulations, it's great to have a merchant who cares enough to listen and respond to customers!

Cheers,
Doug

I absolutely love the pine and cedarwood stick. I am contemplating getting a tub of it to go with the sandalwood tub but I just want to horde different scents instead before getting more tubs. :blush:

Hmmm.... I really should add my contribution of a review of the new QED scents here. I've had them for at least three weeks and just been too lazy to post a review.

Lemon and Cedar: Really fresh sharp scent. Reminds me a little of mentholated lemon cough drops, but in a good way. I would say that lemon is the more prominent scent, but the cedarwood is definitely there. This grounds the lemon a bit, and keeps it from smelling like candy or otherwise foody. If you are looking for something lemony and fresh for summer, I think this would be a great choice. Personally, I do like the Pine and Cedarwood better, but it is a fairly different scent, with a very "woodsy" feel that this does not have.

Vetiver: Wow. This is definitely different. Maybe the polar opposite of a floral scent. This is DEFINITELY NOT FOR EVERYONE. If you prefer fresh cheery florals, this would probably make you very unhappy. That said, I think it is fantastic. It comes from the the roots of a grass, and that is pretty suggestive of the aroma. Picture ripping up some grass out of a bog and sniffing the roots, and you may not be far off. Other than that, it is very very hard to describe this aroma. It is also about as masculine as a scent could possibly be, in a very earthy way.

As for the lathering properties, I will take a cue and not go into it here. One you figure out soap lathering, QED lathers up like a dream, and provides a hell of a good shave.

Has anyone tried QED's Frankincense and Myrrh, Peppermint, Tangerine and Spearmint, Wild Orange or Anise and Lavender soaps or sticks? Please let me know what you thought of them.

There are so many scents that I want to try. I figure 3 or 4 soaps at a time isn't too bad?!?

Thanks for your help

Top Bottom