What's new

REVIEW: Lamy 2000 Fountain Pen

Very nice review. I think it's a stunningly beautiful pen, and looks as clean and new as it did when it was released almost fifty years ago. Mine is never far from my rotation.

The Lamy 2000 medium nib is my top pen. I don't have any other high-end pens. I find the nib as buttery-smooth as the Sheaffer inlaid nibs. The body has a nice feel to it -- the perfect size and weight. The filling system is convenient.

I've been using Montblanc Midnight Blue in it, and that has worked wonderfully. I like the color of Noodler's Bad Blue Heron better, but it seems "chalky" compared to the Midnight Blue in the Lamy. BBH is also very water-resistant. Midnight Blue is an iron-gall ink and is supposed to be water-resistant, but it's not really. So overall, I like the flow and feel of Midnight Blue, but I like the color and water-resistant properties of BBH.

Very nice review. I think it's a stunningly beautiful pen, and looks as clean and new as it did when it was released almost fifty years ago. Mine is never far from my rotation.

Mine was bought in 1989 (and still with "W. Germany" under the clip), and it is still working great.

I bought a L2000 with a Medium nib in 1983 or 1984 and it has been in pretty much constant use since then on a daily basis taking work notes and I do tend to take lots of notes.

While I have a number of other pens, this one get's constant use and is usually filled with Montblanc Blue/Black, but my stock of that is now on it's last bottle and I will probably move to the Montblanc Midnight Blue when I finish the current bottle. I like the thought of my work notes not being destroyed by a splash of water.

Thanks to the nib size advice offered earlier in this thread and a good price with free shipping on isellpens.com (no affiliation, just flagrant enabling), I bought a Lamy 2000 with a fine nib. This is a seriously cool pen. I filled it with Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black ink as soon as it arrived last week, then wrote a letter with it.

It will take me a little while to get used to the tapered grip section, but otherwise I love this pen. I'm really happy with the fine nib, which is nice and smooth. I was surprised how light this pen is, as it always looked heavy to me for some reason. It's balanced toward the nib (nib heavy) because of the stainless grip section, and that works fine for me.

I can't find anything wrong with the example I received. This pen looks wonderful in person. This is easily one of the best fountain pen deals out there, considering it's a piston filler with a platinum coated 14K gold nib. I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger on this one.

-Andy

I've been eyeing that same site isellpens.com as it seems to have an excellent price compared to other on line retailers. My only hesitation has been due to the sometime comments about the nibs not writing smoothly out of the box. I haven't had to "tweek" any nibs yet and wouldn't want my first attempt to be on a Lamy 2000, so I'm very interested in hearing your comments after writing with it a few days.

I like the understated design and durability of the pen.

Enjoy the Lamy!

I've been eyeing that same site isellpens.com as it seems to have an excellent price compared to other on line retailers. My only hesitation has been due to the sometime comments about the nibs not writing smoothly out of the box. I haven't had to "tweek" any nibs yet and wouldn't want my first attempt to be on a Lamy 2000, so I'm very interested in hearing your comments after writing with it a few days.

I like the understated design and durability of the pen.

Enjoy the Lamy!

After using it a few days and writing several pages, my only complaint is that it writes a touch dry. I think Pelikan 4001 Black is a pretty dry ink, though, so that may be the culprit. Mine required no tweaking.

-Andy

After using it a few days and writing several pages, my only complaint is that it writes a touch dry. I think Pelikan 4001 Black is a pretty dry ink, though, so that may be the culprit. Mine required no tweaking.

-Andy

I loaded my L2000 fine with 4001 black three days ago and it really tamed my pen. It is a moderately wet writer with everything else, but not 40001 black.

I've owned probably a half dozen new Lamy 2000s and about a dozen more used Lamy 2000s from across the years of production. Some of the new pens have had dry or erratic flow to begin with. After about the second or third piston of ink, it goes away. For the massive review I wrote last year, and linked to above, I bought a new Lamy 2000 (from Todd at ISellPens, a total class act all the way). It started "skippy" but by the end of the first piston of ink it had settled in. That doesn't always happen, but if it does, just stick with it. It's an EXCELLENT pen and punches above its pricepoint. The first new one I bought was $85. The most recent new one I bought was $115. Both prices were well worth it.

It is available in stainless (for $300).
I thought about the black but got the stainless steel one instead w/a Fine nib that definitely writes wider than most European nibs, but I didn't expect to get what I would classify as a Broad/Medium. Don't get me wrong, as I believe I own more Broad nibs than any other size nib & actually prefer them to the thinner nibs, be they European or Japanese. At the time I bought the LAMY 2000, there were no Medium OR Broad nibs available and as I was in a spending mood & I had my eye on the LAMY 2000, I took a chance & I couldn't be happier. I, myself, would give it a solid TEN straight across the board as I have NO issues with anything concerning this pen. It probably only gets inked every two to three weeks & then only for a week, as I only ink two pens at a time for carry, one Vintage & one Modern. So, it has to wait its turn as I have quite the large collection of fountain pens & I try to use as many of them all as I possibly can. I still stick with my own conclusion of a solid TEN straight across the board.

I thought about the black but got the stainless steel one instead w/a Fine nib that definitely writes wider than most European nibs, but I didn't expect to get what I would classify as a Broad/Medium. Don't get me wrong, as I believe I own more Broad nibs than any other size nib & actually prefer them to the thinner nibs, be they European or Japanese. At the time I bought the LAMY 2000, there were no Medium OR Broad nibs available and as I was in a spending mood & I had my eye on the LAMY 2000, I took a chance & I couldn't be happier. I, myself, would give it a solid TEN straight across the board as I have NO issues with anything concerning this pen. It probably only gets inked every two to three weeks & then only for a week, as I only ink two pens at a time for carry, one Vintage & one Modern. So, it has to wait its turn as I have quite the large collection of fountain pens & I try to use as many of them all as I possibly can. I still stick with my own conclusion of a solid TEN straight across the board.
I got my Lamy 2000 not that long ago myself and I really like it. It is something about the workmanship and quality that makes it feel really solid and durable. It is truly a work horse of a pen. I got mine in EF and I am glad I did. I knew that Lamy's in general run quite wide for their nib size and the Lamy 2000 almost seems even wider. Great pen and I will use it often.

I have fine and extra fine Lamy 2000s and a rollerball. The design and feel of this pen just works for me. I use them daily.

For the rollerball, the Lamy refill is good though a little broad for most of my uses. Generally use a Signo or G2 refill with a small spacer.

Top Bottom