What's new

Geo F. Trumper Skin Food

I came across an article in which one of Trumper's Barbers used Skin Food as pre shave lotion. I used it today as pre shave and after shave and it worked really well. Has anyone used skin food as a pre shave and/or after shave and to what results?

Shaving Setup

Hot Towel
Geo F. Trumper's Coral Skin Food
Merkur 12c / Feather / Rooney S1/2
TOBS Avocado Shave Cream
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 EDT

Great Shave...

I came across an article in which one of Trumper's Barbers used Skin Food as pre shave lotion. I used it today as pre shave and after shave and it worked really well. Has anyone used skin food as a pre shave and/or after shave and to what results?

Shaving Setup

Hot Towel
Merkur 12c / Feather / Rooney S1/2
TOBS Avocado Shave Cream
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 EDT

Great Shave...

It's good to hear that you've got results from it - I was wondering, in another thread, the same question.

I'm slightly concerned about its use as a pre-shave because my ingredient list contains ethanol (despite the CSF review here at B&B repeatedly mentioning that it is alcohol-free!). Using it straight after the shave causes stinging for me, which could well be due to that mysterious alcohol. (It's fine after some T&H UC ASB, though.)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I currently use Trumper's Skin Foods routinely as both a pre-shave and an after-shave. I didn't use to and now wish I hadn't sold my big bottles... I've got two 500 mL bottles on their way right now.

In any case, they are great moisturizers, and I need that before my first pass. There is a myriad of alternatives out there for that, of course. Likewise, they are good moisturizers after a shave, and they provide a pleasant scent as well. If they sting, perhaps an application of Witch hazel to soothe the skin before applying the Skin Foods may help. Although they are moisturizing, it's not nearly enough for my skin. I follow up with a layer of Nivea Extra Enriched lotion for the entire face. Bleah, three concoctions just to get out of the bathroom... Perhaps, I could mix them all together?

Best - MM

I bought one of those famously huge 500ml bottles a while back, and managed to (finally) use most of it up. I tried it as both a pre-shave and an aftershave, and it worked pretty well on both accounts.

That said, I prefer and hence went back to pre-shave oil because I found it protected my sensitive skin better, and went back to my other after-shave balm because I found it to be more soothing (though skin food is soothing, just not quite as much)

Ultimately, it found its place in my lineup as a pre-preshave facial relaxer...I found that it softened the hairs and my skin first, then I hopped in the shower and rinsed, and went about my routine. It seemed like it fit in best in that regard.

Smells great too, btw!

Top Bottom