What's new

Ebay - What gives?

P.T. Barnum

This^^

I have seen both rediculous broken blades and no-name razors posted on ebay for big bucks. However, I have also purchased many sweet old razors for next to nothing, so you have to be careful, patient and diligent. There are still great deals on ebay, you just have to do a little more work to get them. JMHE

Ronnie

Last edited:
To some people money is no object. They here W&B or fatboys are great and they ensure they win. It only takes two, or one and a dishonest seller, which is common, unfortunately.
I'm such people. I've spent 500$ for a pristine W&B and I don't regret it. It's worth every cent.

Rusty big W&B's go for $400, because a restorer knows that once you remove the rust there will still be a half pound of gleaming Sheffield steel underneath ready to shave your face.

Last edited:
It's worth whatever you think it is worth, if you are happy with the purchase then I say enjoy
I'm of the same mind. Those that have the money spending it is what our economy depends on. Right or wrong, I could care less, value is subjective.

I also get razor off ebay, no name cost me $3 and was tested by one of my good (and very knowledgable friend and honer) and he stated is best razor he ever had, period... and I agree with him... I have many razor but this one even from 8k stone will shave like dream and 12k+ stone is just a joyful journey during shaving.

I guess it was a well spent $3 but I do also remember my $100 W&B which was piece of junk...

Values (monetary) does not have any meaning unless you put meaning in it...

I also get razor off ebay, no name cost me $3 and was tested by one of my good (and very knowledgable friend and honer) and he stated is best razor he ever had, period... and I agree with him... I have many razor but this one even from 8k stone will shave like dream and 12k+ stone is just a joyful journey during shaving.

I guess it was a well spent $3 but I do also remember my $100 W&B which was piece of junk...

Values (monetary) does not have any meaning unless you put meaning in it...

Exactly. Most of the overpriced razors on ebay (the auctions at least) are the result of people jumping into one of the various shaving fora and seeing posts that say, "W&B, Dubl Duck, Engles, etc. is the best razor I have ever shaved with!" Neophytes typically say to themselves, "I want to be successful at this new venture that is quite exotic and potentially dangerous, so I will equip myself with the 'BEST' ". There are hundreds of thousands of W&B's in the world, as they made many razors for many decades. Do W&B's give the "best shaves?"...perhaps so, perhaps not. Do some people desire them more because they hear on the internet that W&B are the best?....you bet they do.

Some of my best shavers are names that no one talks about on here. They cost me between $10.00 and $15.00 shipping inclusive from e-bay. I will not divulge their names for I would never be inclined to buy another if the prices rose too high, in fact, I would be inclined to sell mine in order to fund the discovery of new ground, as it were. I got into this hobby to save money (haha) but I set a $35.00 limit on my purchases. The original poster in this thread can easily find a notched Sheffield wedge for that price , either on ebay with some effort.
Again, I do not see how ebay is to blame for the prices of W&B's when the auction prices are solely the result of what buyers are willing to pay, either through ignorance or a "I have to have it NOW mentality." That being said, I have seen some of Mr. Martin's blades posted in the shave of the day section and he is quite capable of spotting a high value razor from a piece of junk. That is where the true talent lies when purchasing from ebay. A piece of junk is always going to be a piece of junk, while an uncorrupted piece of 9/8, 8/8, 7/8 steel hiding under 150 years of patina is a treasure to be enjoyed, regardless of manufacturer. The key for someone with little experience is to learn to know the difference. Once one can determine why NOT to bid on a particular razor by condition and price, then one has a much easier task of finding a razor that will suit him.

Ebay is nothing more than a market place that brings buyers and sellers together. The usual commerce rules of supply and demand apply combined with other factors like alcohol consumtion and plain stupidity.

Well, ebay just coughed up the vintage, minty Friodur I've been looking for at a good price.

The only stinkers I've gotten were a couple $15 razors that I scavenged scales off of anyway, so no big loss. On the other hand, I've gotten gorgeous razors for $15. (Such as a minty 6/8+ D Peres)

Patience is definitely a virtue when it comes to eBay shopping. That, and good timing. Sometimes that minty (insert favorite brand here) razor comes along with a scorchingly good BIN price and you're in a prime place to jump on it.

Deals can definitely be had, especially for 'no name' razors, but even with pics you can't be sure. I picked up a beautiful TI 7/8" with bone scales for $99 shipped recently. I don't think anyone else bid on it.

I also lost an auction for a seemingly mint solingen 6/8 and was contacted by the seller, who asked if I would be interested in the other ones he had. Turns out he had a bunch of NOS razors from his father in law and I helped him find a home for them. My home, of course.

Best policy, of course, is to make sure the seller offers returns if you're not happy.

Top Bottom