What's new

George F. Trumper Eucris Hit The Mark Yesterday

Good evening chaps. I rarely post here in the frags forum because I am not a huge fragrance guy. I like them and have a decent assortment of good aftershaves and a few edts. One of those is Trumper Eucris. This looks like an old time scent due to packaging but I believe it was introduced in the early 1980's. Irregardless it is one fine scent. It lists black currant as a note but most do not realise it is the fragrance of the leaves or flowers or whatever currant bushes produce rather than their fruit. It is a blast of herbaceous goodness. Well without thinking I splashed out an amount more suited to aftershave use. Oh boy. I wasn't about to waste it by pouring it off my hand so just splashed it all around my face and neck. It blasted all right. But a funny thing happened. My youngest daughter, who rarely gives any approval to anything I do, told me it was just right. Hmmm. I was prepared to wash off some excess but since she pronounced it okay I left it on. So with some trepidation I attended church and was immediately complimented by two ladies who thought it smashing good. After a thorough round of "please tell me if this is too strong?" routine, I did not wash it off and no one was doing the air sniff to see who 'that guy' was. Trumper strikes again.

You know, I have been as hard on Trumper as anyone. They have right bollocksed their shave soap and discontinued some superior items like Wild Fern a/s splash. However, I appreciate their traditional smelling fragrances. They are so completely different to all the newer stuff from the 90's forward. You usually do not see Trumper descriptions as containing "ozone and oceanic accords". This latter category of scent is so ubiquitous I come near nausea to smell them anymore. Thank goodness for some semblance of old school scents. It may not be Edwardian but it is way ahead of latter day department store scents.

Cheers, Todd

I'm a big Eucris fan. Can't say I've ever splashed that much on, as I find it pretty potent stuff even in small amounts. But it definitely is quite unique, and a whole other realm that a lot of the "modern" fragrances. My girlfriend likes it is a lot, and I have received a couple unsolicited compliments when wearing it. A nice fragrance, indeed.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There is no place where YMMV is more relevant than fragrance, no doubt due to both differences in noses and differences in the way a fragrance interacts with body chemistry. I'm glad someone likes it.

This is probably the worst fragrance I have experienced to date. This review sums up my feelings eloquently:

here is something ugly and rotten lurking deep within, a deeply unpleasant musty earthy note, not 'sexy-animalic', more 'bottom of the compost-heap'. It made me quite queasy. I enjoy dated scents but I can only imagine wearing this once I am laid in earth myself. Let's hope the maggots appreciate it more than I did.

I would allow as how that comparison is correct. I offer up Pinaud Lilac Vegetal as proof positive. To me it smells like urinal cake. Others see it much differently. There is no way I would ever put Eucris in the same zip code as the Veg but indeed, fragrance reacts quite differently person to person on their skin. My dad once gave me a bottle of Yardley of London lavender splash. This was back in the 1970's I put it on and started catching a skunk smell! Dad told me it did the same to him. Either a bad bottle, one that had sat too long in the heat or some other malady. Whatever it was it did not smell like that in the bottle. Only after application. Sorry the Eucris does not work for you. When it is 'right' people love it.

Cheers, Todd

I love Eucris. It almost... stinks, but somehow in a good way. I just wish I could spray it on instead of splashing it into my hand and then applying it. I hate having a Eucris scented palm for hours.

Top Bottom