What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

The conversion process was actually quite simple. I got the idea since, with the halves of the blade arm laced together, it would be tricky to wrangle a halved DE blade in there. At first, I couldn't get the blade to sit securely, since the pins are set to hold a half-DE blade. Originally, the cord was simply tightly wound around the shank, mostly for grip. You can't see it in the picture, but I removed the cord and drilled small holes into the shank with a drill press and small bit. I laced waxed artificial sinew in and out of the new holes and cinched it tight to hold the halves together almost as tightly as the clip would have done in it's previous life, then recovered it with the waxed cotton thread. Now, when the clip is removed, you can slide an injector blade right in until the back of the blade rests against the pins, then close the clip to clamp it in place. It gives just the right amount of blade exposure, IMO, though I find I have to angle it a little further away from my face to get it to cut right. In this form, it cuts at least as easily as the MD Chimaera loaded with a halved Feather, but it is much smoother. I'm quite surprised- and very pleased- with how it turned out. I'm thinking of taking a belt sander to the edge of the blade head to remove a little metal, and thus increase the blade exposure. I'm also thinking of trying to hack a cheap injector razor into a shavette. Any thoughts?
$040914 015.jpg

Last edited:
I am using the Parker SR1. Seems to me that a broken-in blade works slightly better than one fresh out of the box, regardless of brand. Have you experienced this?

Not to me... Or, at least, I've not tried a blade has that characteristic.
Feathers and AstraSS degrade after 2 shaves for me while 7 o'clock SS blades are good for a single shave. None feel better to me on the second shave.

The conversion process was actually quite simple. I got the idea since, with the halves of the blade arm laced together, it would be tricky to wrangle a halved DE blade in there. At first, I couldn't get the blade to sit securely, since the pins are set to hold a half-DE blade. Originally, the cord was simply tightly wound around the shank, mostly for grip. You can't see it in the picture, but I removed the cord and drilled small holes into the shank with a drill press and small bit. I laced waxed artificial sinew in and out of the new holes and cinched it tight to hold the halves together almost as tightly as the clip would have done in it's previous life, then recovered it with the waxed cotton thread. Now, when the clip is removed, you can slide an injector blade right in until the back of the blade rests against the pins, then close the clip to clamp it in place. It gives just the right amount of blade exposure, IMO, though I find I have to angle it a little further away from my face to get it to cut right. In this form, it cuts at least as easily as the MD Chimaera loaded with a halved Feather, but it is much smoother. I'm quite surprised- and very pleased- with how it turned out. I'm thinking of taking a belt sander to the edge of the blade head to remove a little metal, and thus increase the blade exposure.

Nice! That actually sounds similar in procedure and result to my placing a half-DE blade in what I think is a Dovo Shavette knockoff.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-381518.html
I too just placed it up against the pins and it resulted in needing a steep angle.

I'll note, for whatever it's worth, that similarly steep angles are required by the Feather Artist Club...so such an angle isn't necessarily crazy.

So first time poster here...
ive used a dreadnought half blade de shavette for more than a couple of months.
i just got today my new feather SS. I've got it loaded with a pro and gonna take it for a spin tomorrow.
man does feather know how to make a shave instrument or what?!?
i also have a cjb on its way. Should have that by the end of the week.
happy to find this club!!!

edt.
today was d-day with the SS.
it went flawlessly... A nice one pass shave (i will do a couple one pass's with a new blade to tone it down a bit before going ATG 2-3 pass) that is smother then most two passes with the dreadnought/de's.
im happy i went with the SS and not the more aggressive older models. Plus I have the rjb coming which has the steeper drop off to the blade.
it will without a doubt be my go to razor!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 176
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 172
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
$SAM_0214.jpg
Been using my rescaled Weck. No weeps, very little irrigation. Really love this thing. Thanks to you all for sharing about your love for Shavettes. I hardly use my DE now.
Can't just get a BBS. In order to get that I think I need to go ATG which is E to W. I can't figure out how to shave ear to Adams apple. My arm doesn't twist that way.

View attachment 440006
Been using my rescaled Weck. No weeps, very little irrigation. Really love this thing. Thanks to you all for sharing about your love for Shavettes. I hardly use my DE now.
Can't just get a BBS. In order to get that I think I need to go ATG which is E to W. I can't figure out how to shave ear to Adams apple. My arm doesn't twist that way.

I'm right there with you on the XTG contortions. My experience with a straight has been that it's easier to go N to S and S to N. Not sure how to pull skin taut sideways, either. Have to watch another video..,

I'm right there with you on the XTG contortions. My experience with a straight has been that it's easier to go N to S and S to N. Not sure how to pull skin taut sideways, either. Have to watch another video..,

Glad I'm not alone :biggrin1:
I have watched endless videos and everyone just goes N to S and S to N. I haven't seen anyone go across yet.

I've really been loving the Weck, and pretty much have quit with DEs unless I want a very fast, super clean shave. These are great razors. I picked up a back-up Medical Prep razor (the Straight version, not the Safety razor style). There's always a couple of those on Ebay. If you like this razor, I'd strongly recommend the Med Prep.

I have the same problem but not because my arm can't do it. My neck is concave and the blade is not curved. Recently I've gotten a lot closer to completely solving the problem. By variously bullfrogging (head aimed slightly down and pulled back as if to make a double chin, but not quite as severe), contorting my neck/head, shaving almost ATG but diagonal, sometimes straightening the scales like a kamisouri and coming in from above, etc.

I have the same problem but not because my arm can't do it. My neck is concave and the blade is not curved. Recently I've gotten a lot closer to completely solving the problem. By variously bullfrogging (head aimed slightly down and pulled back as if to make a double chin, but not quite as severe), contorting my neck/head, shaving almost ATG but diagonal, sometimes straightening the scales like a kamisouri and coming in from above, etc.
I find myself doing a Mussolini type pose when shaving my neck....
raise my head really high and to one direction, slightly back. thin push out my lips to get my skin perfect...
if that makes any sense?

Last edited:

You have no idea how relieved it makes me to hear that I'm not the only one who has that problem, and that solution. I refer to it as "caping" because the position of my fingers on the blade and the motion resembles gently flensing a rabbit skin. And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

So first time poster here...
ive used a dreadnought half blade de shavette for more than a couple of months.
i just got today my new feather SS. I've got it loaded with a pro and gonna take it for a spin tomorrow.
man does feather know how to make a shave instrument or what?!?
i also have a cjb on its way. Should have that by the end of the week.
happy to find this club!!!

edt.
today was d-day with the SS.
it went flawlessly... A nice one pass shave (i will do a couple one pass's with a new blade to tone it down a bit before going ATG 2-3 pass) that is smother then most two passes with the dreadnought/de's.
im happy i went with the SS and not the more aggressive older models. Plus I have the rjb coming which has the steeper drop off to the blade.
it will without a doubt be my go to razor!

I have the same SS Folding in green - a superb instrument. Much better than the DE based shavettes and I like it more than the folding CJB.
It is very, very hard to top a shave in the SS with a ProGuard blade in terms of result and peace of mind during the shave.

Prior to The Captain (which is a folding model) I'd tried the non-folding SS, RG, and CJB models. I was able to get good enough shaves with them but I just preferred the folding model. Having not tried any of the razors mentioned as both folding and non-folding I can't be totally sure it's not just the balance of the folding model I like best though!

I wasn't a huge fan of the "lip" on the SS though, so I didn't want to try that in the folding model. I'd love to try a folding DX or RG, but can't justify the expense these days!

The folding DX arrived last week. Two things struck me side-by-side the CJB.
The CJB is really a knock off - same shape exactly.
The edge is the same edge, of course.
The jimps on the DX are deeper and help with the grip. The CJB jimps are decorative.
The DX is thicker and the stainless steel is less slippery than the CJB's powered coating
The DX is heavier and has a perfect balance in hand. The CJB is lighter and depending on the scales (stock or custom), not as well balanced.

So - they both deliver pretty much the same shave. The experience though is different. I feel more comfortable with the DX in hand due to the balance and the better grip. The DX is also over $200 new (I got mine on BST after I unloaded a bunch of brushes).
So to each his own. I might keep the CJB as a travel back up or something like that.

The folding DX arrived last week. Two things struck me side-by-side the CJB.
The CJB is really a knock off - same shape exactly.
The edge is the same edge, of course.
The jimps on the DX are deeper and help with the grip. The CJB jimps are decorative.
The DX is thicker and the stainless steel is less slippery than the CJB's powered coating
The DX is heavier and has a perfect balance in hand. The CJB is lighter and depending on the scales (stock or custom), not as well balanced.

So - they both deliver pretty much the same shave. The experience though is different. I feel more comfortable with the DX in hand due to the balance and the better grip. The DX is also over $200 new (I got mine on BST after I unloaded a bunch of brushes).
So to each his own. I might keep the CJB as a travel back up or something like that.

Agreeded i got my SS folding and cjb non folding.
altho im happy with both of them, obviously the SS came out on top.
im happy with the price vs quality of the cjb. It's not perfect, but they aren't tryin to get feather prices either.

at the vary least i have a new travel razor, and after some drummle tooling of a feather plastic case its ready for my Dopp kit.
i also got to try a traditional style Japanese straight and a dx style head knockoff, while escaping paying dx prices..
dont regret getting the cjb to much tho... ;)

second shave with cjb today
VVvVVvVvVv

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Agreeded i got my SS folding and cjb non folding.
altho im happy with both of them, obviously the SS came out on top.
im happy with the price vs quality of the cjb. It's not perfect, but they aren't tryin to get feather prices either.

at the vary least i have a new travel razor, and after some drummle tooling of a feather plastic case its ready for my Dopp kit.
i also got to try a traditional style Japanese straight and a dx style head knockoff, while escaping paying dx prices..
dont regret getting the cjb to much tho... ;)

second shave with cjb today
VVvVVvVvVv

I like my CJB. So you had to modify the Feather travel case to get the CJB to fit in it? How much mod was needed?

I like my CJB. So you had to modify the Feather travel case to get the CJB to fit in it? How much mod was needed?

You don't have to, but was not happy with where the razor blade sat in the sheath from the handle. Kind of slanted.
The bulge of the cjb where the jimping is blade side is the culprit (1st pic). In stead of taking it out on the handle of the cjb, i ground down a lip of the handle holder of the case. Hope picture will show my description.
I'm happy with it now. Have shaken it holding the handle and case with out much movement. A little here and there, but the blade will not touch any plastic.
In hindsight, I wouldn't have got as greedy as a did with the drummle. Taken off a little less.
best thing to do is low and slow... File or sandpaper would work best

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 146
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
You don't have to, but was not happy with where the razor blade sat in the sheath from the handle. Kind of slanted.
The bulge of the cjb where the gimping is blade side is the culprit (1st pic). In stead of taking it out on the handle of the cjb, i ground down a lip of the handle holder of the case. Hope picture will show my description.
I'm happy with it now. Have shaken it holding the handle and case with out much movement. A little here and there, but the blade will not touch any plastic.
In hindsight, I wouldn't have got as greedy as a did with the drummle. Taken off a little less.
best thing to do is low and slow... File or sandpaper would work best

Thanks for the info. I plan on getting one of those holders eventually for my CJB.

Thanks for the info. I plan on getting one of those holders eventually for my CJB.

Worth the money if your adding on to an order to get free shipping. Better than flipping the blade in the razor holder while traveling and better than having a loose feather around the bathroom
I dont have kids, but couldn't imagine what could happen if a little one got their hands on any razor, but especially something like these.

Last edited:
Top Bottom