What's new

Usps

Anyone else have problems with the USPS losing packages? I had a few soaps sent from Mama Bear back at the end of November, and they still haven't been delivered. According tot the tracking number, it's been around the world about ten times. Emailing, calling, and going to the post office has failed to get it headed in the right direction. Any suggestions?

By new soap from Mama Bear and when you finally get the old package trade or sell it. Working with the Post Office is impossible.

By new soap from Mama Bear and when you finally get the old package trade or sell it. Working with the Post Office is impossible.

Unfortunately, that is probably your best bet. It almost never happens but when they do lose things they lose the hell out of them. Twilight Zone lost. If it does eventually show up it will be a nice surprise and a sign of improving karma.

Not to be a smart-***, but for future reference postal insurance is cheap and it does force the USPS to take responsibility and/or reimburse you.

I refuse to use USPS when mailing packages. Only UPS, and more rarely DHL or Fed Ex for me. And I appreciate when sellers do the same. Yeah, it's a little more expensive, but I can track the progress and be assured that there is a good chance that I will get it in a timely manner.

I had a VERY expensive pair of winter motorcycle gloves disappear in december that I had ordered and just now a razor that I sold to a member at SRP was lost in limbo as well.....but those are the only two losses that I've ever had with the PO. I've always been very satisfied with their service.

I refuse to use USPS when mailing packages. Only UPS, and more rarely DHL or Fed Ex for me. And I appreciate when sellers do the same. Yeah, it's a little more expensive, but I can track the progress and be assured that there is a good chance that I will get it in a timely manner.

+1 Learned the hard way not to trust USPS. I"m a UPS guy, and if a seller doesn't offer UPS, I will go out of my way to try to find a seller who does. If USPS is the only way, I do go the insurance route.

I think everyone has had bad experiences with one company or the other. Personally, I had a $400 ipod delivered to the wrong address by DHL. DHL wouldn't claim responsibilty, as they had an unlegible signature. The only reason it was recovered was the person that signed for it brought it to me personally a week later. I've had packages badly damaged or lost by UPS. Every service will have their bad days, but in general, I think they all do a pretty darn good job.

You can have bad experiences with all of the different shipping services. I use what is the most convenient. If I am mailing for work, I use FedEx. For personal I use USPS. It is only a couple blocks from my house. For a little extra, you can pay for extra services with the USPS. Even after that, the package still will be delivered for less $.

I think everyone has had bad experiences with one company or the other. Personally, I had a $400 ipod delivered to the wrong address by DHL. DHL wouldn't claim responsibilty, as they had an unlegible signature. The only reason it was recovered was the person that signed for it brought it to me personally a week later. I've had packages badly damaged or lost by UPS. Every service will have their bad days, but in general, I think they all do a pretty darn good job.

this morning I saw a UPS guy had a lot of packages on his hand truck the wind was about to knock them over so some one caught them before they fell the UPS guy says "just let them fall it doesn't matter They are not mine."

No matter what you use USPS UPS FedEx DHL .the package has a chance at getting lost or damaged nothing you can do about it but hope it does not happen .

Nick

USPS gets a bad rap. Their loss rate (for me) is almost zero.
Same here. I'm past 70 and in my whole life I had only one package lost. It was insured but it took the post office almost a year to pay off.

Not to be a smart-***, but for future reference postal insurance is cheap and it does force the USPS to take responsibility and/or reimburse you.

I consider USPS insurance extremely expensive when it cost $1.49 to mail a small package but another $1.65 to insure it for $25. I try to avoid eBay sellers who require insurance.

I use UPS for everything except the very lightest packages — those under 13 ounces that are often just a bulky padded envelope.

Richard

I agree with John. All of them have their bad days. We ship 90% of our packages USPS Priority Mail and I can't say enough good things about them. Their delivery tracking is getting better and better.

They have made tremendous strides to accommodate the online and Ebay crowds. Thank goodness this is not the same USPS we grew to know 15-20 years ago. For a while I thought UPS was going to put them out of business.

I'm sure that some of you aren't aware of this but in 2000, FedEx and the USPS signed a 7-year contract to carry all the USPS overnight and high-priority mail throughout the FedEx system. The postal contract has recently been extended until 2012 and USPS continues to be one of the largest customers for FedEx

I'm sure that some of you aren't aware of this but in 2000, FedEx and the USPS signed a 7-year contract to carry all the USPS overnight and high-priority mail throughout the FedEx system. The postal contract has recently been extended until 2012 and USPS continues to be one of the largest customers for FedEx

Yup. I've had USPS packages delivered by Fedex trucks in the past.

I've had only good experiences with the USPS. I do a lot of eBay stuff and have never lost a package in over 500 transactions. That said, I've never had an issue with any of the other services, either. In my life time, I've had two issues with standard letters, but never a package.

Probably jinxed myself for saying it :biggrin:

As a representitive of the USPS, I have a few things to say. All shipping companies lose, damage, and misdeliver packages -- because humans are doing the work, and humans make mistakes. I can't speak for other companies, but the USPS moves ridiculous volumes of mail on a daily basis, and it is one thing to hear what the number is, and an entirely different thing to be inside a USPS mail processing plant and watching it all take place. The Postal Service, like many other companies these days, is trying to reduce their workforce. This means less people doing more work, and it isn't always easy. In my 20 years with the Postal Service, I can safely say that probably 97% of the employees are very conscientious and hard-working. Unfortunately, we are also hand-cuffed by idiotic decisions made by uncaring managers. The point I'm trying to make in all my rambling is that most people don't give a single thought about the Postal Service because normally, that service is pretty transparent. But as soon as something gets lost, or they have to wait in a long line to mail something (because management cuts window staffing) they ***** and complain about the crappy service and inept employees, without ever once stopping to think just how seldom the poor service occurs. We have the cheapest rates in the world, my friends. You think our service sicks? I sold some AOS starter kits here at B&B and mailed them Priority mail, and many are arriving on the East Coast (I'm in CA) in 2 days , at a cost of $4.60. Another order in CA arrived the next day with Priority Mail. Pardon my ranting here, but this just gets old.

I think the USPS does a great job. I live on a hill with a long flight of steps up to my front door. The USPS folks will often carry it up to the door, but, with the other outfits, packages often don't get much beyond the driveway. My newspaper is delivered more carefully.

Around Christmas, I had to hand deliver a UPS package I received to the correct address well down the block.

Chuck

As a representitive of the USPS, I have a few things to say. All shipping companies lose, damage, and misdeliver packages -- because humans are doing the work, and humans make mistakes. I can't speak for other companies, but the USPS moves ridiculous volumes of mail on a daily basis, and it is one thing to hear what the number is, and an entirely different thing to be inside a USPS mail processing plant and watching it all take place. The Postal Service, like many other companies these days, is trying to reduce their workforce. This means less people doing more work, and it isn't always easy. In my 20 years with the Postal Service, I can safely say that probably 97% of the employees are very conscientious and hard-working. Unfortunately, we are also hand-cuffed by idiotic decisions made by uncaring managers. The point I'm trying to make in all my rambling is that most people don't give a single thought about the Postal Service because normally, that service is pretty transparent. But as soon as something gets lost, or they have to wait in a long line to mail something (because management cuts window staffing) they ***** and complain about the crappy service and inept employees, without ever once stopping to think just how seldom the poor service occurs. We have the cheapest rates in the world, my friends. You think our service sicks? I sold some AOS starter kits here at B&B and mailed them Priority mail, and many are arriving on the East Coast (I'm in CA) in 2 days , at a cost of $4.60. Another order in CA arrived the next day with Priority Mail. Pardon my ranting here, but this just gets old.

wetshavingmonkey, I am in no way trying to minimize the efforts of the workers at the USPS. Everyone I've spoken with has taken the time to listen to my situation and have all tried to help.:thumbup1: As you said, the packages are handled by people, and people make mistakes, regardless of who they work for. And you are right, I've had packages damaged or lost by UPS and FedEx too. I've decided I'll just wait this one out, and hope for better luck next time. If you have any helpful hints for locating/ rerouting this package, I'd appreciate it.

Top Bottom