What's new

PannaCrema vs. Barrister & Mann - Comparison?

I've recently been able to get my hands on the wonderful PannaCrema, and its performance has been nothing short of astounding. Its right up there with some the best products around IMO, such as AdP, SMN, Acca Kappa, I Coloniali, and AOS (Tallow) to name a few.

I've been intrigued by the growing number and positive reviews of other artisan soap makers, in particular Barrister & Mann which I'm yet to try.

Is there anyone out there that has tried both PannaCrema and Barrister & Mann soaps who can provide a comparison.

I have both and I give the nod to Barrister and Mann. Both products are excellent where B&M has the edge over PannaCrema is in post shave skin care. I think the scents of PannaCrema are better, B&M fragrances are a little one dimensional.

I have both and I give the nod to Barrister and Mann. Both products are excellent where B&M has the edge over PannaCrema is in post shave skin care. I think the scents of PannaCrema are better, B&M fragrances are a little one dimensional.

I would agree about the one dimensional scents of B&M....however, I felt that PC gave a better, post shave feeling than B&M.....but honestly, and this may be blasphemy.... Stirling Soaps beats them both in post shave moisturizing and even my QCS Fouguere shaving soap is better post shave as well. Panna Crema Lavandatto is a top shelf soap for many and myself....there are just so many artisans that are coming onto the scene and are open to feedback and pushing to evolve the quality of their products that it is a very exciting time to be someone looking to get into more artisan soaps. I myself have PPF, Synergy Lavender and Cedar and more Stirling on the way as I type this. Douglas at Synergy spent nearly 6 months researching his soap with some of the best artisans in the country....I am really looking forward to trying his later this week.

Back to topic, PC is better for me than B&M....but I give Stirling, QCS and Strop Shoppe the nod (by just a small margin) on post shave feeling and care.

Best,

Jason

I give B&M the nod solely for the fact that it is more readily available than PC. Love the scents of both, but my experience with PC is limited to Namaste only.

That is really well said and I agree 100%. I like the protectiveness and fast lather of Panna, it is a more luxurious shave than Sterling but Sterling moisturizes a tiny bit better. A good AS balm with Panna and you are there though. Both lines are in my top rotation with ADP and some Razo Rock.

I would agree about the one dimensional scents of B&M....however, I felt that PC gave a better, post shave feeling than B&M.....but honestly, and this may be blasphemy.... Stirling Soaps beats them both in post shave moisturizing and even my QCS Fouguere shaving soap is better post shave as well. Panna Crema Lavandatto is a top shelf soap for many and myself....there are just so many artisans that are coming onto the scene and are open to feedback and pushing to evolve the quality of their products that it is a very exciting time to be someone looking to get into more artisan soaps. I myself have PPF, Synergy Lavender and Cedar and more Stirling on the way as I type this. Douglas at Synergy spent nearly 6 months researching his soap with some of the best artisans in the country....I am really looking forward to trying his later this week.

Back to topic, PC is better for me than B&M....but I give Stirling, QCS and Strop Shoppe the nod (by just a small margin) on post shave feeling and care.

Best,

Jason

I cant believe something would be better than PC but I have been told to try a few products by other PC lovers. Petal Pushers is supposed to be pretty good maybe now I have to try Barrister and Mann

I would not say anything is really better, but there are some just as good. Sterling is more moisturizing but lathers nothing like Panna. Strop Shoppe Special edition barber shop with tallow is very much like Panna. Aqua di Parma, lathers a bit faster and smells better than anything in the Panna line and performs just as good, MDC is about as good with a faster lather Panna being a but more thicker in lather water content equal. Razo Rock XX gives Panna a run for it's money also. Tabac is very similar also (not in scent).

I cant believe something would be better than PC but I have been told to try a few products by other PC lovers. Petal Pushers is supposed to be pretty good maybe now I have to try Barrister and Mann

B&M and Stirling both have samples. The Bay Rum from B&M is fantastic. Strirling is great as well. Haven't tried PC.

I sampled the Barrister & Mann bay rum yesterday and today. It lathers super easily and is slick. The website description says it has a "hint of cassia cinnamon" -- no cloves. The cinnamon really stood out, to me. As in, cinnamon-forward. I thought the scent was "just ok". (And while I love some bay rum splashes, I am glad I have samples of the other Barrister & Mann scents, some of which I think I'll like more). I'll have to shave with it several more times to see how it stacks up against other favorites in terms of performance.

My sample of the Stirling Anise has a great Anise scent, and then also a clear clay scent. I don't mind the clay at all, but some people do -- it's not particularly hidden, more "parallel" with the Anise than under it, to my nose. Stirling is very slick indeed, once enough product is loaded. It takes a lot of loading. Dollar for dollar I like it quite a bit.

And ... I wish I had some Panna Crema to compare. Have to get to that one, eventually, too.

I sampled the Barrister & Mann bay rum yesterday and today. It lathers super easily and is slick. The website description says it has a "hint of cassia cinnamon" -- no cloves. The cinnamon really stood out, to me. As in, cinnamon-forward. I thought the scent was "just ok". (And while I love some bay rum splashes, I am glad I have samples of the other Barrister & Mann scents, some of which I think I'll like more). I'll have to shave with it several more times to see how it stacks up against other favorites in terms of performance.

I shaved with the B&M Bay Rum today. I loved the smell when i sniffed the sample. However, when it lathered up it didnt smell as good. I have to admit ive never tried Bay Rum before so i'll see how it goes after another few shaves.

I will say though that i had a very smooth and irritation free shave and my face feels nice and soft this morning. :)

PannaCrema and Barrister & Mann have earned their place in my permanent rotation. I give a slight edge to PannaCrema.
Tabac is out.

Last edited:
I think PannaCrema and B&M are quite different. Both great, but they don't really behave the same. PC requires a very short load, and basically explodes into very smooth, creamy lather with very little work. B&M takes a bit more loading, a bit more whipping, but you end up with a lather than is a bit more dense and slick. In my experience, I think of it this way:

PannaCrema is very similar to StropShoppe Special Edition Tallow. If you like one, you're going to like the other. I find both of these offer a bit less in the skin-conditioning category, but lather up with zero quirks.

B&M is very similar to Mike's. If you like one, you're going to like the other. These soaps make really rich, beautiful, skin conditioning lather, but it takes a tiny bit more work to whip up than PC or SS. Just a tiny bit, which to me is negligable, which is why I prefer these two to PC and SS.

But they are all absolutely fantastic.

Top Bottom