What's new

What is your favorite Gillette NEW?

I've been shaving with a Merkur long-handle for the past few months but wanted to try a shorter handle. After looking at replacement handles I decided to give Gillette's NEW razor a try. Yesterday I received the pair that I purchased on eBay. One appears to be nearly unused, (except for a small crack in the handle) and the other is a bit tarnished. I decided to clean the tarnished one for use.

This morning I loaded it with a new Astra SP blade and gave it a try. I am very impressed with the razor. At first it felt like it wasn't cutting at all, but resulted in the closest shave of my life, (although I received a couple minor weepers). This razor will see daily use.

Could anyone tell me when these were manufactured?

Tarnished razor (the one I am currently using):
Marked "Made in USA" with diamond Gillette logo with arrow through letters.
Pat. no. 1815745
Pat. no. 1858316
Reissue Pat. No. 17567

Untarnished razor: only marked "Made in USA" with diamond Gillette logo with arrow through letters.

This first photo was posted by the seller in the auction, the second is of my morning shave setup.

View attachment 550893

$image.jpg

Could anyone tell me when these were manufactured?

Tarnished razor (the one I am currently using):
Marked "Made in USA" with diamond Gillette logo with arrow through letters.
Pat. no. 1815745
Pat. no. 1858316
Reissue Pat. No. 17567

Untarnished razor: only marked "Made in USA" with diamond Gillette logo with arrow through letters.

The last patent was issued in May 1932, so you can say the razors that have all 3 patents couldn't have been produced before that. Pre patent razors were most likely produced between 1929-'32 or '33.

The last patent was issued in May 1932, so you can say the razors that have all 3 patents couldn't have been produced before that. Pre patent razors were most likely produced between 1929-'32 or '33.

Thank you for sharing. There is something very pleasing in shaving with a well maintained 80+ year old razor.

Or there were some percentages of less than 1, or it was not exactly 66/33: the article said "approximately". From context I took it that Gillette considered the exact composition to be a trade secret.

After all they would not want the public to find out about the unicorns.

Can one of our experts tell me which NEW head/base plate is this. I think its a 7 o clock. Ignore the handle, its a bamboo ikon.

proxy.php

Zed, I'm having issues with my x-ray vision at the moment, or maybe it's because the handle doesn't let me see the brand. [emoji38]

It can be Gillette branded too, in fact Gillettes are more common I think. There's a few different brands, but the brand is the only difference. It's still a Flat Bottom NEW.

Sorry Edgar. It has a Gillette case and says Gillette where the handle is blocking. No 7 o'clock or anything else. Was curious of the make. What's the difference between flat bottom and raised flat bottom?

Thanks again friend!

Sorry Edgar. It has a Gillette case and says Gillette where the handle is blocking. No 7 o'clock or anything else. Was curious of the make. What's the difference between flat bottom and raised flat bottom?

Thanks again friend!

Since you're asking that question, it's obvious that you NEED an RFB now......:tongue_sm

Top Bottom