What's new

What is your favorite Gillette NEW?

I've seen a few more of these SC with the wider handle. It does look "wrong" even though I'm guessing it was manufactured that way based on seeing more of them.
Seems like they were manufactured that way. I noticed that the SC don't all come with the same cap, 5 different caps. 3 shave about the same, the other 2 have less blade exposure, one of which is a Prewar Tech cap. Also came with 2 slightly different baseplates.

$uploadfromtaptalk1463754627696.jpg

My favourite New so far is NEW SC

Відправлено з мого Meizu M2 через Tapatalk

I should probably go through the whole thread when I have time, but just a quick question. I see on Mr Razors site there are some variations in the NEW RFB. Some have a patent number on the baseplate and others don't. Except for 2 and 3 piece handles, are there any significant differences wrt the shave between the ones with and without the patent numbers? I also see some have a slightly different baseplate catering for the top cap's corner tabs while others don't. Why did Gillette have to make so many variations? This doesn't help my RAD at all.

I should probably go through the whole thread when I have time, but just a quick question. I see on Mr Razors site there are some variations in the NEW RFB. Some have a patent number on the baseplate and others don't. Except for 2 and 3 piece handles, are there any significant differences wrt the shave between the ones with and without the patent numbers? I also see some have a slightly different baseplate catering for the top cap's corner tabs while others don't. Why did Gillette have to make so many variations? This doesn't help my RAD at all.

IIRC, patent numbers are always present, if not on the baseplate you'll find them on the handle.

What I have noticed is that there's a few different configurations and IME there's subtle differences in performance. Below you can see 3 different 2-piece RFB NEWs. I believe the first two razors from the left are older than the one on the right. They have thinner teeth, and on my face at least they feel slightly more aggressive/efficient than the one on the right, but still very smooth.

The one on the left also has these cutouts in the baseplate, and squared off cap tabs, like some of the SC NEWs [MENTION=81103]rabidus[/MENTION] ... The one in the middle has what we call the fang tabs. Not really sure how or if this really affects the performance but I prefer these two over the one on the right.

$CAM01858.jpg

Here you can also see how the squared off cap secures the blade more tightly in comparison to the regular cap on the right:

$CAM01865.jpg

Jacquers said:
This doesn't help my RAD at all.

proxy.php

The one on the left also has these cutouts in the baseplate, and squared off cap tabs, like some of the SC NEWs [MENTION=81103]rabidus[/MENTION] ... The one in the middle has what we call the fang tabs. Not really sure how or if this really affects the performance but I prefer these two over the one on the right.

Very nice Edgar!

I can see the similarities between the one on the left and the NEW SC.

Any idea where I can find just the open comb piece for a "New"? I found the handle and cap at a flea market, hoping someday to find just the comb.

Hello Gents,

I'm the proud owner of a RFB, a flat bottom NEW, and a flat bottom tech. I'm new to them all so doing a bit of experimentation to see which I prefer (leaning towards the RFB).

To me the NEWs are superior to everything that came after them. I haven't tried any before.

I have some questions regarding the Deluxes. Apart from the 15/17mm variations, and that some are two pieces and others three pieces, are the US heads all the same? I'm thinking of getting one of each size and playing around with different handles.

Regarding the English Deluxes, do they come in 15/17mm variations as well? Other than this, are the heads the same? Are there any three piece versions? How do they compare to the US Deluxes?

Thanks in advance. I think once I've got the Deluxes sorted out, and got my hands on a hybrid tech, my RAD may be cured.

Just kidding.

Welcome to B&B!

I have some questions regarding the Deluxes. Apart from the 15/17mm variations, and that some are two pieces and others three pieces, are the US heads all the same?

2-piece Deluxe NEWs were made in England only. The ones with the handle attached to the baseplate are still 3-piece razors. Other than that, and the 17/15mm different baseplates, yeah they are the same.

Regarding the English Deluxes, do they come in 15/17mm variations as well? Other than this, are the heads the same? Are there any three piece versions? How do they compare to the US Deluxes?

They didn't make a 15mm version in England, at least I don't think I've seen it. But they made at least two versions of the Deluxe head. This one, pretty much the same thing as the American 17mm

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1933 NEW Belmont England von Leon.jpg

And this one, with rounded cuts between the teeth, kinda like its predecessor, the New Improved.

attachment.php

Don't ask me how do these shave, I don't have an English Deluxe. :crying: I'm assuming it's similar to the American version, the one with squared off cuts at least.

Hi Edgar, thanks for your reply.

Did they make any three piece English Deluxes, or were they all two piece?

I'd be interested to hear from someone who's shaved with the two English Deluxe heads how they compare to eachother, and how they compare to the two US versions.

Last edited:
Cool, but I can't see the images in the thread? So this is a true three piece (i.e.: the head detaches from the handle)?

Mr Razor only lists the Belmont Deluxe as being made in England, and that's what I'd call a two piece. I'd be interested which version has the slightly different head that Edgar mentioned - still a Belmont, but made for the French market?

Have you tried either the 15/17mm American Deluxes? How does it compare?

Last edited:
Hi Edgar,

Are both those British razors Belmont Deluxes? Just with a different head for the French market? It seems this was the only style of British Deluxes made.

I don't think the head with rounded cuts was sold in France only, that just happens to be an example for the French market.

These say Made in England, @782sirbrian's photo

proxy.php

Brian's examples are uncased (I think?), so we don't know if they came from a Belmont or a Criterion set, possibly even a Traveler set, or some other name we're not aware of. Achim case's that I linked in a previous post is slightly different but IIRC we ended up calling it a Belmont set. :001_rolle

Edgar the Gold razor to the left is from a Combination set, the Silver one has no case so it could be from Belmont or Criterion or even Combination set.

Top Bottom